Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a pretty **** day, but he's had a pretty nice season overall, for a rookie starter.

12th in PPG, 12th in YPG. 8th in yards per play (we were 28th last year).

Individually he's 5th in YPA, 5th in QBR, and completing 63% of his passes.

He's leading a much improved unit from last year and while he isn't the world beater you all expect him to be, he certainly has less to do with the overall record than you think.

The defense has gone from 4th in points allowed and 4th in YPG to 16th and 20th respectively.

We've been penalized 132 times for 1,142 yards... and that isn't even including yesterday.

It's no coincedence that teams at the top 5 in that category have losing records.

Taylor and this offense with last year's defense would've been a wild card team at the very least.

That's the difference between 12th and 20th in the league, though. And that includes said injuries, but also the defense playing poorly, special teams playing poorly, and penalties, that have all put the offense in a challenging position. Example, we're ranked 12th in average pts/drive this year. 23rd in avg pts/drive last year. That's with the fact we were ranked 5th in starting field position last year, and this year we're ranked 25th in starting field position. While the difference is 'only' 5 yards between the two, it adds up over the course of a game and a season.

Yep.

My standard Tyrod post:

- he's exceeded my expectations

- he still doesn't see the middle of the field, holds the ball too long, and bails from he pocket instead of climbing to safety

- he's done enough to merit going into the offseason as the starter

- a veteran backup should be signed

- a high draft pick (rd 1-3) should be used on a potential franchise guy

Taylor's skill set is very good at moving the chains outside the Red Zone. You get the feeling he could run for 5 yards on practically every passing play outside the red zone. In the red zone though, the Bills offense becomes very limited. Taylor can't make the quick tight window throws that are an important part of a red zone offense, and as the field compresses his mobility becomes less of a factor.

This is a concern of mine too. It showed on the interception in the end zone at the end of the first half. Taylor made a poor decision and threw to a well covered receiver instead of the open one nearby.

I don't understand either.

I suspect, the Tyrod haters are a vocal minority. Tyrod supporters are a quiet majority, and are at work right now.

No offense intended here:

Stop dividing fans into one of two groups. There are plenty of us that both believe that Taylor has done well for himself AND that the team should be looking to improve the position

Guess this means we've officially moved on from EJM. :lol:

I can't imagine Roman has called 38 designed QB runs in the past 4 weeks for TT. Today alone Tyrod ran 14 times (!) for 67 yards.

Sure, some of that is the poor pass protection given he was sacked 3 times. But I've got to believe some of the runs were the result of not seeing the field and making throws when they were there.

One-read QBs who tuck it and run don't last long in the NFL.

I think year one for TT was certainly good enough...

But he's going to need to take another big step in year two...

The third down efficiency was simply not good enough (20th in the league at around 37%)...And IMHO that was a lot of what you pointed out...One read, scramble and run...And when coupled with the fact that the Bills Defense is 23rd in stopping opponents on 3rd down...It was a real bad mix this season...

On a side note Rex's Jets D was 30th...30th in the league in stopping opponents on 3rd down in 2014!!! And you guessed it...The Bills D under Schwartz was 1st in the league in that category...So... :cry:

I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the Taylor baedwagon and are quick to exaggerate his achievements.

He has played very well at times. He has played very poorly at times. He's made some nice throws and some bad. Some nice runs and some where he should've stayed in the pocket and found a receiver. All in all, he has performed well, but to say "spectacular" would be a massive overstatement, in my opinion. This whole year with Tyrod has reminded of the ridiculousness with Trent Edwards when he showed basic competence at the position and people were just gushing praise. Schopp was even stupid enough to say he would not trade Edwards for Tom Brady. Calm down on Tyrod. Let's see how it plays out. He has earned the right to come into next season as the starter but he hasn't done enough to convince me that he is the long term solution at the position.

Just rewatched the game and I think it's really sad that this fan base gets so distracted by a meaningless game that they miss some of the spectacular plays Tyrod Taylor made in this game. Two throws in the final drive before the half. (The one that ended with the INT.) and the scramble deep in our end on the final TD drive are just 3 examples.

And speaking of the INT, John from Hemet was 100% correct: it was Hogan's fault. That play was identical to the TD throw to Woods where he came back to the ball. That's a timing throw Tyrod makes right when Hogan was supposed to cut back for the ball. He got himself out of position by letting the defender get behind him. Really I only saw one poor throw all game: the short pass in the flat behind Gragg in the 3Q.

Some here will disagree but I don't care. IMO Taylor is our franchise guy now.

Franchise QB is going too far IMO. He's shown some good things, but certainly has room for improvement in order for the Bills to progress to the level of a being consistent multi-dimensional offense that forces opposing defenses to defend the entire field on every level.

Stop dividing fans into one of two groups. There are plenty of us that both believe that Taylor has done well for himself AND that the team should be looking to improve the position

Exactly. It doesn't help when the thread title declares a 13 for 18, 179 yard, 1 INT day as "spectacular". Even with the 14 rushes for 67 yards it was far short of that.

@JeremyWGR

For analysis/consumption: Taylor's splits by direction. Attempts to L/R Sidelines: 221 Attempts to L/R Sides: 84 Attempts to middle: 30

Looking at several others you'll see that teams often target sidelines, but the mix is a bit more pronounced with Taylor.

Likely by design of passing game and run/pass mix. TT's throws are 65% to the sideline. Most QBs hover between 50-55%.

Taylor's had a good year. It's been a good step, maybe a great first step. Next year is likely the true test.

The thread title suggests Tyrod had a spectacular day. He put 16 points up on the 4-11 Cowboys. Why is it amazing that people would dispute this? You do realize he didn't throw for 300 yards with 4 TDs out there, right?

I think Tyrod played an okay game, that was pretty typical for him minus maybe a bomb or two thrown in there. We'll know by next season if he's progressed or not as a QB. I don't think you or PTR are at all justified in your worship though.

Spectacular in some of the throws and escapes he made. The kind of plays no Bills QB had made since Flutie.

I think the Bills should keep TT... but also draft one QB each year somewhere in rounds 2 to 5. (I think first round QB's aren't worth the risk)

Spectacular in some of the throws and escapes he made. The kind of plays no Bills QB had made since Flutie.

His day was not spectacular in any sense despite some of his great escapes. His numbers would have looked a lot better if Hogan doesn't drop the 4th down bomb and gives a better effort on the int at the end of the 1st half.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Franchise QB is going too far IMO. He's shown some good things, but certainly has room for improvement in order for the Bills to progress to the level of a being consistent multi-dimensional offense that forces opposing defenses to defend the entire field on every level.

Yep. Franchise Quarterback has different meaning for different people. I'm not even sure there is an accepted definition. Usually IMO when NFL guys speak about "franchise QBs" they are talking about a guy who is your starter for 10 years and most people believe you can win the super bowl with that guy if most other things go right. I like TT a lot but he is nowhere near that definition.

Same thing with the term "spectacular" and "great," especially because it usually should be thought of including the phrase "under the circumstances." One may easily say Tyrod, at times, played "spectacular under the circumstances" without actually playing just flat spectacular.

Let me see him throw the ball over 30 times and win a game. Sometimes you need the QB to carry you to victory, and I need to see him consistently show he can do that when called upon. Limiting your QB to 20 throws a game as part of your game plan Is not indicative of a franchise QB, imho.

Thats the mark of a franchise guy. Right now I dont see him exibiting any of that right now so this franchise QB cant be happening

TT had a good year and a good game - but look what is gets us - a .500 team. That is what he is and will always be. But that's ok if you want a mediocre QB and team.

Is There anything else than medicore for Bills fans? I forget.

i thought medicore is the new Very good.

One thing for sure this team has regressed under Ryan,and his continued employment

Will assure more of the same if not worse.

When your team runs for 250 it isnt necessary to throw 30 times a game.

Except when the team isn't gashing for 250 on the ground. I'm fine with that game plan when it's working. How has he fared when he has needed to drive the team downfield at the end of the game to score, which at that point will probably push your attempts up to the 30 range? Just need him to demonstrate he can do it, and there were a few games for the taking where he was unable to.

Yep. Franchise Quarterback has different meaning for different people. I'm not even sure there is an accepted definition. Usually IMO when NFL guys speak about "franchise QBs" they are talking about a guy who is your starter for 10 years and most people believe you can win the super bowl with that guy if most other things go right. I like TT a lot but he is nowhere near that definition.

Same thing with the term "spectacular" and "great," especially because it usually should be thought of including the phrase "under the circumstances." One may easily say Tyrod, at times, played "spectacular under the circumstances" without actually playing just flat spectacular.

The way I see it a true Franchise QB has the ability to carry his team to victory on a regular basis. His team goes into games expecting to win because they know he's the guy who can elevate the team to a win under almost any circumstance.

I think year one for TT was certainly good enough...

But he's going to need to take another big step in year two...

The third down efficiency was simply not good enough (20th in the league at around 37%)...And IMHO that was a lot of what you pointed out...One read, scramble and run...And when coupled with the fact that the Bills Defense is 23rd in stopping opponents on 3rd down...It was a real bad mix this season...

On a side note Rex's Jets D was 30th...30th in the league in stopping opponents on 3rd down in 2014!!! And you guessed it...The Bills D under Schwartz was 1st in the league in that category...So... :cry:

Agreed. TT is not the biggest issue with the team but needs to improve so defenses don't key in on his tendency to run or throw to sidelines.

At the same time one has to hope they won't just plan on him improving and decide against acquiring competition.

The way I see it a true Franchise QB has the ability to carry his team to victory on a regular basis. His team goes into games expecting to win because they know he's the guy who can elevate the team to a win under almost any circumstance.

So then there's like... 3 franchise QBs? Brady, Rodgers, and Newton?

@BuffaloBillsPR

With one game to play, Tyrod Taylor's 100.7 passer rating is the second-highest single season rating in team history

CXUtch1W8AAMVu4.jpg

So then there's like... 3 franchise QBs? Brady, Rodgers, and Newton?

They are few and far between that's for sure. I'd add Big Ben and Wilson to that mix.

@BuffaloBillsPR

With one game to play, Tyrod Taylor's 100.7 passer rating is the second-highest single season rating in team history

CXUtch1W8AAMVu4.jpg

They are few and far between that's for sure. I'd add Big Ben and Wilson to that mix.

Definitely drives home the subjective nature of the term 'franchise QB' haha

We are now looking at 2017 as being the earliest we have a chance to make the playoffs... and the defense is the primary reason why.

The 2015 season still has a game left, and we've already missed the 2016 playoffs?

Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

And people think PPP is where the nutbags hang out.

The 2015 season still has a game left, and we've already missed the 2016 playoffs?

Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

And people think PPP is where the nutbags hang out.

This place is becoming a cesspool.

TT had a pretty good year for a first year starting QB in a brand new system with a dysfunctional coaching staff and a litany of injured co-workers that never played together much before and certainly didn't gain a lot of familiarity in TC, Preseason and most of the damn season.

Kudos to him to doing as well as he did. I expect he'll do much better next year when the game will slow down for him even more.

Definitely another WR and RT. Miller is average at best but I have to remind myself hes a rookie. Lets hope on the left side Incognito returns. If not that may change the entire make up of our draft.

It's good to also remind yourself that this is TT's first year actually playing. He will get better. How much better, we shall see.

This place is becoming a cesspool.

TT had a pretty good year for a first year starting QB in a brand new system with a dysfunctional coaching staff and a litany of injured co-workers that never played together much before and certainly didn't gain a lot of familiarity in TC, Preseason and most of the damn season.

Kudos to him to doing as well as he did. I expect he'll do much better next year when the game will slow down for him even more.

I agree, but the offensive coaching wasn't dysfunctional at all. Roman did a great job.

I agree, but the offensive coaching wasn't dysfunctional at all. Roman did a great job.

Overall pretty well. He was terrible at getting the play in on time, especially terrible at the two minute offense letting Taylor run the offense himself, terrible at insisting on getting the ball into Watkins hands. Taylor was running Romans offense how he was taught to run it. Roman had to insist that he throw to Sammy more. And Rex should have insisted Roman do it when he didn't. It was an enormous blunder the entire season.

Overall pretty well. He was terrible at getting the play in on time, especially terrible at the two minute offense letting Taylor run the offense himself, terrible at insisting on getting the ball into Watkins hands. Taylor was running Romans offense how he was taught to run it. Roman had to insist that he throw to Sammy more. And Rex should have insisted Roman do it when he didn't. It was an enormous blunder the entire season.

The offense was light years better than last season's, and bear in mind that the QB had no experience. They're 10th in yards per drive, 12th in points per drive, 12th in points overall, and 12th in yards overall. That's leaps-and-bounds improvement.

The offense was light years better than last season's, and bear in mind that the QB had no experience. They're 10th in yards per drive, 12th in points per drive, 12th in points overall, and 12th in yards overall. That's leaps-and-bounds improvement.

Agreed. Completely. But the above reasons I gave were entirely unforced errors that held them back substantially.

Agreed. TT is not the biggest issue with the team but needs to improve so defenses don't key in on his tendency to run or throw to sidelines.

At the same time one has to hope they won't just plan on him improving and decide against acquiring competition.

Exactly...

No matter what they better get insurance and a young QB to develop...If for no other reason than the impending contract situation...But certainly there are a bunch of other reasons as well... B-)

All good points...

The lack of urgency and efficiency in clock management was well beyond frustrating at times...What happened at the end of the half yesterday should never, ever happen...Ever...That was a joke...And it's been going on all year... B-)

7 wins after 15 games.

Wins are a TEAM stat...not a QB stat

It would be interesting to see what the same stats are for other QBs.

I think it would also be interesting to see a chart of the percentage of throws to the areas of the field over the course of the 16 game season

It seems to me that TT worked the sidelines pretty heavy early in the season......and started working the middle a lot more as the season went on.

Just like productivity from working from the pocket......to my naked eye was not great in the beginning and throws improved as the season went on.

I saw him climb the pocket on a play yesterday and make a great throw

once again.......progression