WR corps need to be overhauled

Jerry Jabber

We already know we have a #1 WR in Sammy Watkins, but outside of Watkins, there is not a WR on the roster that has been reliable and consistent. IMO, the Bills should move on from Percy Harvin as he's been injured in his career too often, I give them credit for giving him a shot. Woods is not a #2 WR. Woods is a great blocking WR, but he is inconsistent as he drops a good amount of passes, seems to trip over himself or runs the wrong routes. Goodwin needs to be released as he cannot stay healthy. I had high hopes for him after his rookie season, but he's too brittle. Hogan is just like Woods, too inconsistent with his catches and when he tries to gain extra yards by slanting, he ends up losing yards (he needs to just keep going straight ahead).

The Bills need a solid #2 WR to compliment Watkins, a tall WR, around 6'4"-6'5" who is a red zone threat, and a good, speedy slot WR. The Bills have not had a good #1 and #2 WR combo since Moulds and Price when they both had over 1,200 receiving that year. It also helped that they had a decent QB that year throwing to them. I don't know if Taylor can turn into a franchise QB, but the Bills desperately need a franchise QB if they ever want to dethrone the Patriots and have a real shot of making the playoffs again.

I would not be surprised at all to see them target Mohamed Sanu in free agency.

He's a big guy (6'2", 215 lbs), can play on the boundary or in the slot, and can do some Wildcat-type stuff that Roman likes to have in his offense.

Overall though, the OP is correct: once Harvin went out, there wasn't anyone that could get open consistently within the 1st 3 steps of his route (other than Sammy, of course).

The Seahawks are getting great production from 3 "undersized" receivers. They all play with an edge - especially Baldwin who is breaking out right now. Woods has that edge but he often sulks when things aren't going so well. I think our plan was to utilize all the speed of Watkins, Harvin and Goodwin and complement them with Woods and Hogan, but between injuries and inconsistent play it's been kind of a disaster. We just need to replace Harvin and Goodwin with guys who will be relatively healthy and will catch the ball.

The Seahawks are getting great production from 3 "undersized" receivers. They all play with an edge - especially Baldwin who is breaking out right now. Woods has that edge but he often sulks when things aren't going so well. I think our plan was to utilize all the speed of Watkins, Harvin and Goodwin and complement them with Woods and Hogan, but between injuries and inconsistent play it's been kind of a disaster. We just need to replace Harvin and Goodwin with guys who will be relatively healthy and will catch the ball.

Part of what makes Seattle's passing game work is that Wilson is exceptional at setting up his pre-snap reads. He knows which routes to eliminate from his progression and can get through his post-snap reads very quickly.

I do think that we need to add a #2 target though...I say pick on the Bengals. They can't keep both Sanu and Marvin Jones--both are UFAs, and they're paying AJ Green $14M/year.

I would not be surprised at all to see them target Mohamed Sanu in free agency.

He's a big guy (6'2", 215 lbs), can play on the boundary or in the slot, and can do some Wildcat-type stuff that Roman likes to have in his offense.

Overall though, the OP is correct: once Harvin went out, there wasn't anyone that could get open consistently within the 1st 3 steps of his route (other than Sammy, of course).

I like Sanu a lot too. I think he is a little frustrated with being underused in Cincy, and would welcome an expanded role. And Marvin Jones is great too. I like your idea of picking off Cincys roster

Between Sanu and Clay, we could do some interesting formations and set up mismatches

Edited by Pete

I like Sanu a lot too. I think he is a little frustrated with being underused in Cincy, and would welcome an expanded role. And Marvin Jones is great too. I like your idea of picking off Cincys roster

Between Sanu and Clay, we could do some interesting formations and set up mismatches

'zactly.

Sanu's also a pretty good blocker, so I like the idea of being able to operate from '11' personnel and use all 3 guys in the slot in different situations. With Watkins/Sanu/Woods, you can run the ball with any of them in the slot and use lots of different rub route/stack combinations to work the middle of the field against the zone coverages that have been killing Tyrod.

Not a criticism of the OP, more of a damnation of the front office, but let's not forget that this is a team that has spent 2 #1's, a #2, 2 #3's and a #4 on WR's in the last four drafts. And we now need to find another one! Good grief!!!!

Not unusual really. Green Bay spends a 2nd round pick on a WR every single year...that's how they end up with Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, etc.

Not a criticism of the OP, more of a damnation of the front office, but let's not forget that this is a team that has spent 2 #1's, a #2, 2 #3's and a #4 on WR's in the last four drafts. And we now need to find another one! Good grief!!!!

Sammy cost 2 #1's, and is worth it IMO.

Woods was a second rounder, and is good.

Goodwin I believe was a 3rd round.

Who is the other 3rd and 4th round WR selections you refer to?

Would love to see Buffalo draft Mississipi St. WR, De'Runnya Wilson. Seems to me like a less polished Kelvin Benjamin with huge upside.

I had to check and see if that was his real name "De'Runnya." I wasn't sure if that was a Key & Peele skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

The names parents give their kids these days. I'm surprised we haven't seen a "Loshon Bottles" yet.

Would love to see Buffalo draft Mississipi St. WR, De'Runnya Wilson. Seems to me like a less polished Kelvin Benjamin with huge upside.

I like it. Since we lost Da'Rick and Da'Norris, we need another player with an apostrophe in the first name. Also huge misspelling potential, which we haven't had since we lost Tavares Jackson.

Not unusual really. Green Bay spends a 2nd round pick on a WR every single year...that's how they end up with Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, etc.

Great point. GB has an elite QB in Rodgers and has given him plenty of weapons to throw to. The Bills need to do the same as just having 1 very good WR is not going to cut it as teams are going to double-team that WR, as we've seen with Watkins, plus injuries (Harvin).

I had to check and see if that was his real name "De'Runnya." I wasn't sure if that was a Key & Peele skit.

The names parents give their kids these days. I'm surprised we haven't seen a "Loshon Bottles" yet.

Awesome. I thought you were going to reference this K&P sketch:

Jayqwellin? Do you mean Jacqueline? So that's how it's gonna be?

Awesome. I thought you were going to reference this K&P sketch:

Jayqwellin? Do you mean Jacqueline? So that's how it's gonna be?

LMAO!! That skit was awesome as well! I like the sequel to that one as well.

"Do you want to go to go war Blah-Kay?" "Go to O'Shaq-Hennessy's office!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp-ABzpRX8

I wouldn't say that needing one #2 player constitutes needing an overhaul. I agree that it would be nice though.

The Bills need more than just a #2 WR. At minimum, a #2 WR, a slot WR and a good #2 TE. IMO, Goodwin and Hogan wouldn't be on most NFL rosters.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

The Bills need more than just a #2 WR. At minimum, a #2 WR, a slot WR and a good #2 TE. IMO, Goodwin and Hogan wouldn't be on most NFL rosters.

I don't agree. Watkins, #2 receiver, Woods and Hogan are a solid 1-4. Clay is solid. What do you want all starts at every position? Better off spending the resources on OL.

Hard to argue this point since the team has Sammy and no one else as a consistent threat.

if either Harvin or Goodwin stay on the field , this thread doesn't even happen. Injuries took the #2 WR position away for pretty much the entire season. Can't lose both guys playing the same spot and expect the #3 to be any good. Both burners gone by week 4. thats tough.

I don't agree. Watkins, #2 receiver, Woods and Hogan are a solid 1-4. Clay is solid. What do you want all starts at every position? Better off spending the resources on OL.

Woods is a good #3 or #4. As I said earlier in the thread, he is a good blocker, but he is too inconsistent as he drops passes, seems to run the wrong routes and trips/dives over himself. Hogan is too inconsistent and is slow, how many times have we've seen him catch the ball and need a few yards to make a first down and instead of going straight ahead, he'll try to slant and he'll come up short? Sorry, on a good NFL team, he's not a #3 or #4 WR. I didn't say anything about Clay, I'm talking about having a good TE behind him. So far, our TE's behind Clay have either been getting hurt or have been inconsistent.

There are reasons why it's a great idea to have at least three good WR's: double-teams to the #1 WR and injuries. If your #1 or #2 WR gets injured and you don't have a good #3, then all defenses have to do is double team your starting WR, and there goes your passing game. This Bills season is a classic example of that.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Don't forget D'Brickshaw and Barkevious (did they come up with that name while the dog was barking?)

The Bills need not only an outside WR who is a deep threat (and preferably tall enough to be a Red Zone threat), but also a quality slot WR. Watkins needs another threat opposite him to keep defenses from playing a safety over him. The Bills need to put defenses in a position where they have to pick their poison and they can't do that with their current stable of WRs. They took a big chance on Harvin because a second deep threat was so important. Thankfully he won't be back, but maybe they can find a more reliable player.

if either Harvin or Goodwin stay on the field , this thread doesn't even happen. Injuries took the #2 WR position away for pretty much the entire season. Can't lose both guys playing the same spot and expect the #3 to be any good. Both burners gone by week 4. thats tough.

no doubt

You can't have all star players at every position. Woods is a good receiver. More than adequate as a #2. He's been off the past few games, but the guy is tough and talented. The receivers are fine. We just don't have a QB that spreads the ball around. Not even blaming Tyrod for that. Part of that is scheme, part is his inexperience.

I'd rather the Bills spend resources (draft picks and/or money) on other positions of need.

Don't forget D'Brickshaw and Barkevious (did they come up with that name while the dog was barking?)

a friend of mine has a cousin named Little John. He's in his 30s so it was before the rapper. Couldn't believe it until he showed me his birth certificate. He has a couple brothers and sisters with weird names that make no sense.

I would like a WR that is "open when he's not". That doesn't mean he has to be 6'5". I think Antonio brown and OBJ are open when they are covered, they just do it a different way than a Calvin Johnson, Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin. Basically I would like a talented receiver.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I keep thinking about our WRs and think about Easley. He is listed as a WR and takes up a spot there. He is a beast on special teams, is a hitter, is fast, has decent hands, is big and tall. There must be a valid reason why coaches never seem to give him much chance at WR.

Has anyone ever considered trying him out at safety in addition to special teams and freeing up a slot for someone new at WR? We need help at safety and I wonder if he could work there. We know it sometimes works from recent Bills history.

Thoughts?