Where did it go wrong in 2015

bisonbrigade

The strongest part of the entire team is the defensive line. You have four pro bowl defensive linemen, Mario, Marcelle and Jerry who last year had double digit sacks each and this year have a combined 11 sacks. The coaching staff has them totally out of place, even dropping into coverage. There is ZERO excuse for this. WGR with their excuses and apologetic crap says, "It's the short passing game" like no-one done that before, or "it's the injuries", like that has not happened before. Are not other teams like Carolina, Kansas City Denver, getting sacks and pressuring the Quarterback? The "short passing" game excuse has not effected these teams. Let's face it, the coaching staff is not what we were led to believe. When you have no pass rush and corners ten yards off the WR this happens.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kim Pegula hiring Rex Ryan --> Rex Ryan asking for Tyrod Taylor.

That's where it went wrong. Both of them suck at what they do.

Preseasom, first the trade McCoy and subsquent extension.

2nd giving the ball to Taylor and declaring it his team

EJ love is like no other...

The players have said it themselves, they believed their press clippings instead of putting the work in. Rex fed into that mentality as he's all flash over substance.

EJ love is like no other...

It's kind of unbelievable. Taylor has his warts, but he's a first time starter and put in one of the better QB seasons we've gotten around here for a while. I really don't know what people expect, we weren't bringing Cam Newton in, especially when we didn't have a 1st round pick.

Rex Ryan hire (which I LOVED at the time). That's basically it.

Perhaps the quickest way to turn this around (if they keep Rex) is to fire Thurman and bring in Pettine. Make Pettine DC, tell Rex he has no control over the D, team should revert to its great play with Pettine. Keep Whaley and Roman, IMO. Draft NASTY and athletic players for the O-line.

If we get rid of Ryan, hire Hue/Schwartz. Or hire Schwartz and let him pick a DC.

Edited by RyanC883

The problems all began with the Nix and Whaley hires before the 2010 season. They didn't pick any of these guys in the drafts. Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiller. They didn't trade for Carson Palmer or Alex Smith.

They hired Chan Gailey, and then added Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan. They haven't drafted a single high caliber offensive line player. They overpaid to keep a marginally motivated defensive tackle. From 2010 to 2015, they have 3 starters from the the first round in those 6 drafts. The now overpaid Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins. This appears to be a formula for an 6-10 to 8-8 team.

Whaley's plan to win was surrounding EJ Manuel with skill players and rely on his defense. Using two 1st rounders on Watkins was dumb then and has been a bust. Same for Manuel who he had faith in.

The defense probably over-achieved the past two seasons and has now been exposed as average.

The plan this off-season will be to re-tool on defense but expect more mediocrity with Whaley and Rex.

Hold on there, chief. You were probably leading the anti-Fitz parade.

Ha! You must be new here. I was the lone voice saying Fitz was flawed but effective when everyone said he needed to be dragged out of town behind a horse. Ryan L. Billz and I went at it for months.

I was a huge fan of fitz. He had flaws, but he could game.

He's proving that now. Like I said, he had his flaws, but no one has a bigger heart than Fitzbeardy.

This little revisionist history retrospective on FitzPickSix is making me ill. He's bleeping terrible to this day.

Hold on there, chief. You were probably leading the anti-Fitz parade.

No, that was Bills fan 4 life.

This little revisionist history retrospective on FitzPickSix is making me ill. He's bleeping terrible to this day.

LOL...despite what the numbers say.

26TD; 12INT; 245yds rushing; two rushing TD's; 9-5.

We can't even agree on what went wrong.

TT sucks! Wow, really, he's the best QB the Bills gave had in 15 years. Is he great? No but better than anything else we have seen. The defense was terrible! Rex's system didn't match this personell and it didn't need to be fixed.

It went wrong when we hired the egomaniac as head coach. How could it end well went the coach is a blow hole?

No, that was Bills fan 4 life.

LOL...despite what the numbers say.

26TD; 12INT; 245yds rushing; two rushing TD's; 9-5.

I watch him play against as soft as puppy poop schedule and still look below average. He still makes plenty of mistakes and has a candy arm. He has decent stats this year as a reflection of the lousy teams they have played. So what! He still sucks.

I watch him play against as soft as puppy poop schedule and still look below average. He still makes plenty of mistakes and has a candy arm. He has decent stats this year as a reflection of the lousy teams they have played. So what! He still sucks.

LOL..come on man you're better than this.

Rex neutered this defense to play his way, not to the player's strength. His stubbornness definitely cost this team wins.

The O-Line is mediocre and the right side needs to be improved. A decision has to be made on Glenn.. I'm not against keeping him but I don't think they can land him with a contract that works both ways.

Tyrod is a first year QB who has played well but has trouble sustaining drives.

Gilmore is a must keep.

He doesn't suck. He's decent, and he was decent last year too. There's an in-between category good and sucks.

No he sucks and that's why he's gone from Buffalo, to Tennessee, to Houston, and now the NYJ in the last four seasons.

Players do get better. He had good numbers for Houston (better than 2/1 TD-INT ratio; 8.0 ypa) and he's actually having a strong year for the Jets. The difference between him and the guy behind is one of the more telling indicators. Most importantly, though, he is the least sacked QB in the league this year. Sack avoidance is one of the best traits a QB can bring to the table.

I'm not saying he's great or even good, by the way. He's decent. To say he sucks is simply flying in the face of today's reality and instead relying on outmoded information.

Edited by dave mcbride

Players do get better. He had good numbers for Houston and he's actually having a strong year for the Jets. The difference between him and the guy behind is one of the more telling indicators. Most importantly, though, he is the least sacked QB in the league this year. Sack avoidance is one of the best traits a QB can bring to the table.

I'm not saying he's great or even good, by the way. He's decent. To say he sucks is simply flying in the face of today's reality and instead relying on outmoded information.

Regardless of what the stats say, I'm basing my opinion from watching him play. He's been helped this year by poor QoC, but he's still the same guy.

The strongest part of the entire team is the defensive line. You have four pro bowl defensive linemen, Mario, Marcelle and Jerry who last year had double digit sacks each and this year have a combined 11 sacks. The coaching staff has them totally out of place, even dropping into coverage. There is ZERO excuse for this. WGR with their excuses and apologetic crap says, "It's the short passing game" like no-one done that before, or "it's the injuries", like that has not happened before. Are not other teams like Carolina, Kansas City Denver, getting sacks and pressuring the Quarterback? The "short passing" game excuse has not effected these teams. Let's face it, the coaching staff is not what we were led to believe. When you have no pass rush and corners ten yards off the WR this happens.

It went wrong the moment fat headed Rex Ryan got rid of Jim Schwartz. One could even argue the team was doomed to failure upon the actual hiring of Ryan, but if you're looking for the precise moment, then it was right as Schwartz was let go. It is not a coincidence the very team Ryan was fired from actually got better once he left town.

If anyone really expects this team to win more than 5 games next year with Ryan as coach is very seriously delusional.

He's proving that now. Like I said, he had his flaws, but no one has a bigger heart than Fitzbeardy.

I was on the same train as you. I wanted them to keep Fitzy. Also wanted them to keep Chan and the staff for one more season. The offense was pretty good under them.

Well.... it's like when Big Ben got a new OC after Arians left. He was pissed, Steelers O sucked the first couple years, etc. etc. Now they are unstoppable.

Bills made massive changes from last year to now due to Ralph's passing. No mistaking it... the whole thing was blown up. New coaches new players, massively different approaches. Sorry , this is what happens when your owner dies after many years of lame-duck owner, no-talent suckness; you blow it all up. Can't pick and choose, you pay $1B+ for a team, you blow it up, you blow it all up top to bottom. You get your own people. There was no football czar guy available (don't give me Polian, he's just trying to set up his son at this point, so he is out).

Then you lose your 3 locker room leaders Fred (who, to be fair, was done), Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams to IR. This is bigger than anyone will admit. Now you have newbies everywhere in key positions, wildly different systems mismatched to the players on D, very little practice time (thanks, CBA) and no player leadership. TT, Shady, et al are super talented, but are totally new guys in a new system so, not getting leadership from them this year. and when the playoff chances disappeared, lack of locker room leaders really shows up.

While we were all excited to see all the changes, year 1 is almost invariably a mess. No leadership/communication on the field (yet), lots of away games early, new approaches, the London game didn't help, but that was injury driven (EJ is still terrible).

and remember, "next man up" is a bunch of garbage. The Jax and the other "no name backfield" losses were directly related to injuries. sorry, year one with new systems and limited practice time (thanks again CBA) + a bunch of 1's going out = losses in today's NFL.

Rex ain't the best, but he's what we have, so get on board for the ride. at least sucking this year means Roman won't get plucked for a least one more year. hows that for a positive ending. go bills.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore