New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Bi-partisan agreement to override Trump’s veto over his objection that traitors would be removed as names as our military bases. Win, progress and a small more towards a more diverse and inclusive society. 

This never made sense. We wouldn’t name Bills Stadium Tom Brady stadium. Don’t name bases after the opposing team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

This never made sense. We wouldn’t name Bills Stadium Tom Brady stadium. Don’t name bases after the opposing team.

Most of these military bases/forts/facilities were established and named in the first four of the 20th century, an era marked by not only virulent racism but also xenophobia, nativism, and religious intolerance.   The popularity of Birth of a Nation, the restrictions on immigration based on country of origin, the re-emergence of the KKK to threaten Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Catholics, and immigrants, and the epidemic of lynchings of Blacks were all symptomatic of the hate mongering mood  that swept the country, especially immediately before and after WW I.   In the context of the era, these Confederates weren't traitors but "real Americans" -- white, Anglo-Saxon Protestants -- fighting to preserve "American ideals" against "alien hordes" -- Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Catholics.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

It did make sense 150 years ago when we were a country that had just finished a civil war and most people of the south felt like they were being destroyed in Washington. We wanted to heal as a country and we did that partially by acknowledging the great generals of the Confederacy. Today the north and south are no longer split over the war and removing names is logical but to state that it never made sense is just being ignorant of what our country was like then.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It did make sense 150 years ago when we were a country that had just finished a civil war and most people of the south felt like they were being destroyed in Washington. We wanted to heal as a country and we did that partially by acknowledging the great generals of the Confederacy. Today the north and south are no longer split over the war and removing names is logical but to state that it never made sense is just being ignorant of what our country was like then.

Not scientific or anything but here’s the Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_installations_named_for_Confederate_soldiers

It looks like they were all mainly in the 1940s with a couple around 1917.

All way after the Civil War.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Most of these military bases/forts/facilities were established and named in the first four of the 20th century, an era marked by not only virulent racism but also xenophobia, nativism, and religious intolerance.   The popularity of Birth of a Nation, the restrictions on immigration based on country of origin, the re-emergence of the KKK to threaten Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Catholics, and immigrants, and the epidemic of lynchings of Blacks were all symptomatic of the hate mongering mood  that swept the country, especially immediately before and after WW I.   In the context of the era, these Confederates weren't traitors but "real Americans" -- white, Anglo-Saxon Protestants -- fighting to preserve "American ideals" against "alien hordes" -- Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Catholics.

Great post! I’ll add, the “threat” of female suffrage, the new mass culture which brought Hollywood movies, Chicago Jazz and urban culture right into the small communities of rural America. In the same way the war on drugs was used to target blacks, Hispanics, the poor and young people, the ridiculous experiment of prohibition was used to target the growing urban communities. The wealthy stirred up hatred of labor unions, as well. 

The culture war  against divorce, birth control and premarital sex were all things that drove the KKK to protect Christian culture. 

Ive thought for awhile that our times really mirror the situation the country was in one hundred years ago. Isolationism, is another example. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Celebrating those traitors is a celebration of the racism they stood for, for so many people. 

The south fought to preserve and expand slavery at the expense of popular government. That should be condemned, not celebrated. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Great post! I’ll add, the “threat” of female suffrage, the new mass culture which brought Hollywood movies, Chicago Jazz and urban culture right into the small communities of rural America. In the same way the war on drugs was used to target blacks, Hispanics, the poor and young people, the ridiculous experiment of prohibition was used to target the growing urban communities. The wealthy stirred up hatred of labor unions, as well. 

The culture war  against divorce, birth control and premarital sex were all things that drove the KKK to protect Christian culture. 

Ive thought for awhile that our times really mirror the situation the country was in one hundred years ago. Isolationism, is another example. 

Celebrating those traitors is a celebration of the racism they stood for, for so many people. 

The south fought to preserve and expand slavery at the expense of popular government. That should be condemned, not celebrated. 

If I’m Biden, this is such an easy Day 1 fix. anyone that brings their confederate flag merchandise to a local Federal office will receive a participation trophy. (Any person who brings in a flag that once hung from the back of a truck gets 2!)

That way they can celebrate their participation and loss in the Civil War and the rest of us don’t need to see Confederate stuff anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Not scientific or anything but here’s the Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_installations_named_for_Confederate_soldiers

It looks like they were all mainly in the 1940s with a couple around 1917.

All way after the Civil War.

I was only aware of the 1917 ones and they were named as a olive branch to show we are all Americans, including those who were part of confederacy. That being said I was unaware of the 1942 ones and I am unaware of a good reason. I do appreciate being shown facts I am not aware of.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, Tiberius said:

I think that the early decades of the 20th century were much like the early decades of the 21st century: eras of massive economic/social change fueled by technological changes, massive human migrations, and political upheavals in other parts of the world.   These are conditions that breed extremism that manifests itself in hatred aimed at "outsiders".    Trumpism stems from the same sources as Fascism and Nazism and shares similar DNA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

BYRON YORK:The Revolution Devours All Before It

The latest enactment of that old truth happened Tuesday night in, of all places, a Zoom meeting of the San Francisco School Board. In that meeting, members voted to strip the names of American Historical figures— George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and even California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein — from schools in San Francisco.

What began in recent years as a call to remove the names of Confederate leaders from schools, roads, and military bases, and then to tear down Confederate statues, has now moved on to target all of American history.

Of course they would not stop with Confederate generals. Of course they would not stop with George Washington. And they won’t stop with a liberal Democrat like Dianne Feinstein, of all people. The revolution continues to devour all before it.

Power up your two-way telescreen, enjoy the benefits of the new chocolate ration, and read the whole thing, comrade.

Biggest lie/fake news of his administration outside of Covid.  Charlottesville.  

The reporters at this press conference were a disgrace.  It's clear to any sane person he constantly trashed white supremacists.  He also knew people were there because taking down Lee (should absolutely never happen) or Davis (that I'm fine with) means eventually it will be Washington and Jefferson.

White supremacists may want the statues up because the South will rise again I guess.  Americans that want the statues to stay up because they understand Trump's slippery slope argument is correct and it panned out like he said.  Both those groups were there.  They had a permit and weren't there to start a war.  I know that's exactly why the other side showed up. 

And the governor responsible for public safety?  Well he wasn't exactly calling for social distancing.

This was of no concern to the media.  A deep intellectual discussion about our history??  Nah.  Look guys---racists!  And Trump said fine people!!

Reporter: Do you support white nationalists, then?

[Cross talk. Reporters shout questions.]

Trump: Well, George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So, will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down- Excuse me. Are we going to take down, are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him?

Reporter: I do love Thomas Jefferson-(no he doesn't)

Trump: OK, good. Well, are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue? So, you know what? It's fine. You're changing history. You're changing culture and you had people, and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You got a lot of bad people in the other group, too.

Reporter (completely playing stupid or actually is): Who was treated unfairly? Sir, I'm sorry I don't understand what you were saying (he did but needed a 154th way to ask about Neo Nazis). You were saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don't understand what you were saying.  (Read the bold above moron).

Trump: No. No. There were people in that rally — and I looked the night before. If you look, there were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I'm sure in that group there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some rough, bad people: neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to call them. But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently protest — and very legally protest, because you know- I don't know if you know, they had a permit. The other group didn't have a permit. So, I only tell you this. There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country, a horrible moment. But there are two sides to the country. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/read-the-transcript-of-donald-trumps-jaw-dropping-press-conference.html

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/24/2020 at 10:22 AM, B-Man said:

AND YET HAMMER AND SICKLE FLAGS ARE EVERYWHERE. BUT THEY CAN DESTROY EVERYONE ELSE’S SYMBOLS:  

Thin Blue Line Flag Goes the Way of Confederate Statues.

And if it were just confederate statues, it would be crazy enough. But they’re going after ever statue, even statues of saints on  church property.

The hammer and sickle flag what? 

Gees, the crazy imaginations of you guys.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, Big Blitz said:

Biggest lie/fake news of his administration outside of Covid.  Charlottesville.  

The reporters at this press conference were a disgrace.  It's clear to any sane person he constantly trashed white supremacists.  He also knew people were there because taking down Lee (should absolutely never happen) or Davis (that I'm fine with) means eventually it will be Washington and Jefferson.

White supremacists may want the statues up because the South will rise again I guess.  Americans that want the statues to stay up because they understand Trump's slippery slope argument is correct and it panned out like he said.  Both those groups were there.  They had a permit and weren't there to start a war.  I know that's exactly why the other side showed up. 

And the governor responsible for public safety?  Well he wasn't exactly calling for social distancing.

This was of no concern to the media.  A deep intellectual discussion about our history??  Nah.  Look guys---racists!  And Trump said fine people!!

Reporter: Do you support white nationalists, then?

[Cross talk. Reporters shout questions.]

Trump: Well, George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So, will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down- Excuse me. Are we going to take down, are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him?

Reporter: I do love Thomas Jefferson-(no he doesn't)

Trump: OK, good. Well, are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue? So, you know what? It's fine. You're changing history. You're changing culture and you had people, and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You got a lot of bad people in the other group, too.

Reporter (completely playing stupid or actually is): Who was treated unfairly? Sir, I'm sorry I don't understand what you were saying (he did but needed a 154th way to ask about Neo Nazis). You were saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don't understand what you were saying.  (Read the bold above moron).

Trump: No. No. There were people in that rally — and I looked the night before. If you look, there were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I'm sure in that group there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some rough, bad people: neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to call them. But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently protest — and very legally protest, because you know- I don't know if you know, they had a permit. The other group didn't have a permit. So, I only tell you this. There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country, a horrible moment. But there are two sides to the country. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/read-the-transcript-of-donald-trumps-jaw-dropping-press-conference.html

No, most Americans see the stars and bars and nothing more than a different version of the nazi swastika 

LOL..........tibsy responding to a September post and ignoring the latest which pretty much describes what (everyone) told him would happen when this B.S. started.

:w00t:

On 1/27/2021 at 12:04 PM, B-Man said:

What began in recent years as a call to remove the names of Confederate leaders from schools, roads, and military bases, and then to tear down Confederate statues, has now moved on to target all of American history.

Of course they would not stop with Confederate generals. Of course they would not stop with George Washington. And they won’t stop with a liberal Democrat like Dianne Feinstein, of all people. The revolution continues to devour all before it.

Power up your two-way telescreen, enjoy the benefits of the new chocolate ration, and read the whole thing, comrade.

Edited by B-Man

• 3 weeks later...

I’M SO OLD, I CAN REMEMBER WHEN STATUE TOPPLING WAS ONLY ABOUT CONFEDERATE STATUES:

“Mayor Lori Lightfoot is confronting the ‘hard truths of Chicago’s racial history,’ launching a public process to review the fate of 41 statues and other monuments, including some of former presidents Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant and William McKinley.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2021/2/17/22288203/chicago-statues-monuments-lori-lightfoot-review-white-supremacy-christopher-columbus-protests

It was only 12 years ago that Obama modeled the run-up to his inauguration on Lincoln.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-obama-lincoln-parallel-a-closer-look/

We told you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

NOT THE BABYLON BEE: 

Students demand removal of George Washington statue…from the University of Washington…in the state of Washington.

Why, it’s as if: Safetyism has Destroyed a Generation.

https://notthebee.com/article/students-demand-removal-of-george-washington-statue--at-the-university-of-washington--in-the-state-of-washington

https://quillette.com/2018/09/02/is-safetyism-destroying-a-generation/

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

NOT THE BABYLON BEE: 

Students demand removal of George Washington statue…from the University of Washington…in the state of Washington.

Why, it’s as if: Safetyism has Destroyed a Generation.

https://notthebee.com/article/students-demand-removal-of-george-washington-statue--at-the-university-of-washington--in-the-state-of-washington

https://quillette.com/2018/09/02/is-safetyism-destroying-a-generation/

so I guess it is just going to be “the football team” then? 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Talk about not possessing reading comprehension skills. Biden issues a statement quoting his wife on the importance of reading comprehension, and the right wing claims Biden is calling for burning Dr. Seuss books. 

Why don't you try to find that DC pizzeria and see if you can rescue the children. 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Talk about not possessing reading comprehension skills. Biden issues a statement quoting his wife on the importance of reading comprehension, and the right wing claims Biden is calling for burning Dr. Seuss books. 

Why don't you try to find that DC pizzeria and see if you can rescue the children. 

I can't speak for all, ( a problem that you don't seem to have)

But of course I am well aware of what is really occurring, with 6 poor selling books no longer to be printed.

BUT............the Left created the new form of overstating the argument, I will continue to use it......and you will continue to be befuddled.

Just now, B-Man said:

I can't speak for all, ( a problem that you don't seem to have)

But of course I am well aware of what is really occurring, with 6 poor selling books no longer to be printed.

BUT............the Left created the new form of overstating the argument, I will continue to use it......and you will continue to be befuddled.

Oh cool, you're just being a dick on purpose and don't actually believe what you're writing. 

Hope that makes you feel good about yourself!

• 5 weeks later...

Statue of traitor getting hoved out! 

RICHMOND — The Supreme Court of Virginia has cleared the way for the city of Charlottesville to take down the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that was the focus of 2017's deadly Unite the Right rally, and the ruling appears to open the door for statue removals around the state.

The Charlottesville City Council voted to take down both the Lee and a nearby statue of Stonewall Jackson shortly after the rally in which white supremacists defended Confederate iconography, with one of them driving his car through a crowd of counterprotesters and killing a young woman.

But several local residents sued to prevent the statues from coming down. They argued that a state law passed in 1997 prohibited localities from removing Confederate war memorials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/charlottesville-confederate-statues/2021/04/01/b40b5a54-92ee-11eb-9668-89be11273c09_story.html

You can never be too woke.

‘Obama Is Another Oppressor’: Immigration Activists Protest School Name Change

Immigration activists in Waukegan, Illinois, balked at a proposal that would rename a local middle school after former President Barack Obama.

“I will not be part of renaming a school after someone who did not and does not represent the undocumented community,” Waukegan school board member Edgar Castellanos said at a board meeting, according to ABC 7 Chicago. The school board is currently debating a proposal to rename Thomas Jefferson Middle School due to the third president’s ownership of slaves.

Throughout his presidency, Obama drew criticism on the immigration issue from Republicans and Democrats. Obama implemented the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program by executive order, held unaccompanied minor children in facilities and deported a record 409,849 illegal immigrants in 2012. 

“If you’re removing the name of Thomas Jefferson—one oppressor—the name of Obama is another oppressor and our families do not want to see that name,” activist Julie Contreras of the group United Giving Hope told ABC 7 Chicago.

“That’s millions of families that were affected and separated, many of whom reside right here in Waukegan. The fear that many of my friends faced of never seeing their parents again after coming home from school still resonates with me,” Oscar Arias told WBBM NewsRadio.

Obama is the latest Democrat politician to come under fire from school board activists. The San Francisco Board of Education considered renaming Dianne Feinstein Elementary School, along with 43 other schools, although it paused the renaming campaign to focus on reopening schools.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/03/31/barack-obama-oppressor-school-name-change/

On 12/18/2015 at 8:49 AM, Chef Jim said:

Why do you consider them trash?

Shall they be removed from history books as well?

Why are you and others so offended and/or threatened by our history?

Ooooooh questions...........

Is Germany unable to teach the history of WWII without status of Nazi's in public places? 

51 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You can never be too woke.

‘Obama Is Another Oppressor’: Immigration Activists Protest School Name Change

Immigration activists in Waukegan, Illinois, balked at a proposal that would rename a local middle school after former President Barack Obama.

“I will not be part of renaming a school after someone who did not and does not represent the undocumented community,” Waukegan school board member Edgar Castellanos said at a board meeting, according to ABC 7 Chicago. The school board is currently debating a proposal to rename Thomas Jefferson Middle School due to the third president’s ownership of slaves.

Throughout his presidency, Obama drew criticism on the immigration issue from Republicans and Democrats. Obama implemented the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program by executive order, held unaccompanied minor children in facilities and deported a record 409,849 illegal immigrants in 2012. 

“If you’re removing the name of Thomas Jefferson—one oppressor—the name of Obama is another oppressor and our families do not want to see that name,” activist Julie Contreras of the group United Giving Hope told ABC 7 Chicago.

“That’s millions of families that were affected and separated, many of whom reside right here in Waukegan. The fear that many of my friends faced of never seeing their parents again after coming home from school still resonates with me,” Oscar Arias told WBBM NewsRadio.

Obama is the latest Democrat politician to come under fire from school board activists. The San Francisco Board of Education considered renaming Dianne Feinstein Elementary School, along with 43 other schools, although it paused the renaming campaign to focus on reopening schools.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/03/31/barack-obama-oppressor-school-name-change/

a school in Chicago would not honor the first US African American president who happened to be from Chicago, because of policy?? That’s outrageous and absurd. 

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

a school in Chicago would not honor the first US African American president who happened to be from Chicago, because of policy?? That’s outrageous and absurd. 

Yes it is absurd.  But what I find most troubling is a focus on all the wrong details.  Names and words are offensive but the fact their children are "graduating" from these schools as functional illiterates is not offensive and apparently much less of a concern.    

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Is Germany unable to teach the history of WWII without status of Nazi's in public places? 

I don't live in Germany so don't know don't care. 

I hope you're aware of the slippery slope this has created right?   If not let me know your thoughts about this idiocy. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-francisco-school-renaming-effort-stalls-after-colliding-another-battle-n1258649

Abraham Lincoln?

John Muir?

Dianne Feinstein?  I don't like her but banishing her from school names?  

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't live in Germany so don't know don't care. 

I hope you're aware of the slippery slope this has created right?   If not let me know your thoughts about this idiocy. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-francisco-school-renaming-effort-stalls-after-colliding-another-battle-n1258649

Abraham Lincoln?

John Muir?

Dianne Feinstein?  I don't like her but banishing her from school names?  

I assure you Germany doesn't need to make status of Nazi's to be able to teach history about WWII and the US doesn't need to have status of literal traitors to be able to teach history about the civil war. Slippery Slope arguments are facile, just because there are people that will take it too far doesn't mean you have to have statues to people who fought a war to preserve a states right to slavery in public spaces. There is no argument to the benefit these statues provide other than to glorify traitors to the country. 

Draw the line at people who were in the Confederacy shouldn't have statues of them in public spaces that many including black people pay for. The Confederacy is to many black people in America (my wife included) as to what Nazi's would be to Jewish people in Germany. There is no coherent argument as to why they need to stand. Put them in museums if you are concerned about preservation. But there is no reason why tax dollars should go to glorify their cause to separate themselves from the country over the states right to slavery. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Draw the line at people who were in the Confederacy shouldn't have statues of them in public spaces that many including black people pay for. 

But the Left won't stop there.

As argued on page one of this thread

and demonstrated time and time again over  the past few years.

Just now, B-Man said:

But the Left won't stop there.

As argued on page one of this thread

and demonstrated time and time again over  the past few years.

So how does that justify keeping statues of the Confederacy up? Why does capitulating on something so obviously heinous keep you from making your stand on another issue? You take down the Confederate statues because they are horrible and then you make your stand on Abe Lincoln and other historical figures who served America and we honor them despite their flaws? It isn't a real coherent argument. Black people and any sensible people ask to take down Confederate statues that were erected in response to the civil rights movement decades after the war and your best argument is "what about the left doing other annoying things?" One has nothing to do with the other.  

• Like (+1) 3

So how does that justify keeping statues of the Confederacy up? Why does capitulating on something so obviously heinous keep you from making your stand on another issue?

People like him hate the political opposition more than they love their country. 

your best argument is "what about the left doing other annoying things?" One has nothing to do with the other.  

It's his only argument.

Edited by 716er
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1