New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

So because this form of racism was supported by blacks it's ok. Is that what you're going with?

The ACS wanted to ship them back to their homeland. Lincoln? !@#$ that!! Stick them on an island in the Caribbean where they can harvest sugarcane.

Liberia was a better choice. The Caribbean was a less expensive choice.

• 4 weeks later...

How'd I miss this gr8 lyrical reference!

"Back with my wife in Tennessee, when one day she called to me

"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E Lee"

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good

Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest,

But they should never have taken the very best..."

How'd I miss this gr8 lyrical reference!

"Back with my wife in Tennessee, when one day she called to me

"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E Lee"

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good

Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest,

But they should never have taken the very best..."

Glad you caught that!!

Most countries did.

The Slave Trade Act 1807... But wasn't till 1833 till it was outright abolished.

Still 30+ years early than US and the Brits didn't have to fight a bloody civil war with it being one of the root causes of civil war. Britian just had to side with The South and use it's free labor to its industrial advantage.

When did the Confederate armies invade Canada?

It would have been historically fascinating to see it happen. Could have been amphibious... Would have been the first if it happened off the Niagara Peninsula?

Fort Niagara was updated in case of an attack from Britian (who sided w/the CSA) If my history is correct, the earthworks @ the fort were built during the Civil War. I think that was the biggest upgrade to the fort during that era.

I always thought the earthworks were a cool concept. Invading army caught in crossfire of short range rifled muskets.

Sorry for the hijack... Anybody got thoughts on this:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/rifle-musket-trajectory.73300/

The Rifle Musket in civil War Combat by Earl J. Hess

"Another, related problem that affected fire effectiveness lay in the parabolic trajectory of the rifle musket. Because of its high arc, the Minié ball created a huge safety zone for the enemy during much of its flight through the air. This problem was most pronounced when firing at distant targets, but this sort of long-distance firing was the key difference between the rifle musket and the old smoothbore weapon. It was incredibly difficult for the average soldier to compensate for the unusual trajectory and make his shots count at ranges longer than about 100 yards. This greatly decreased the effect of the rifle musket precisely in the area where advocates though it might have a revolutionary impact on warfare.

A rifle musket sighted for 300 yards could be deadly at short range, but after about 75 yards the bullet sailed above the height of an average man. The next danger zone lay at the far end of the trajectory, the last 110 yards (about 240 to 350 yards from the shooter). In this last danger zone, the target could be hit at any height along his body, depending on where in the zone he happened to be when the bullet made contact. For the rest, fully 115 yards of the bullets flight, only 185 out of 300 yards of the bullets journey constituted a danger zone to the enemy."

It would have been historically fascinating to see it happen. Could have been amphibious... Would have been the first if it happened off the Niagara Peninsula?

Fort Niagara was updated in case of an attack from Britian (who sided w/the CSA) If my history is correct, the earthworks @ the fort were built during the Civil War. I think that was the biggest upgrade to the fort during that era.

I always thought the earthworks were a cool concept. Invading army caught in crossfire of short range rifled muskets.

Sorry for the hijack... Anybody got thoughts on this:https://civilwartalk.com/threads/rifle-musket-trajectory.73300/

The Rifle Musket in civil War Combat by Earl J. Hess

"Another, related problem that affected fire effectiveness lay in the parabolic trajectory of the rifle musket. Because of its high arc, the Minié ball created a huge safety zone for the enemy during much of its flight through the air. This problem was most pronounced when firing at distant targets, but this sort of long-distance firing was the key difference between the rifle musket and the old smoothbore weapon. It was incredibly difficult for the average soldier to compensate for the unusual trajectory and make his shots count at ranges longer than about 100 yards. This greatly decreased the effect of the rifle musket precisely in the area where advocates though it might have a revolutionary impact on warfare.

A rifle musket sighted for 300 yards could be deadly at short range, but after about 75 yards the bullet sailed above the height of an average man. The next danger zone lay at the far end of the trajectory, the last 110 yards (about 240 to 350 yards from the shooter). In this last danger zone, the target could be hit at any height along his body, depending on where in the zone he happened to be when the bullet made contact. For the rest, fully 115 yards of the bullets flight, only 185 out of 300 yards of the bullets journey constituted a danger zone to the enemy."

Ft Niagara got the upgrade after the Trent Affair when it seemed like war was a possibility with England. There were several attempted invasions of Canada from the Buffalo area. In 1812 there were several battles on the North side of the Niagara. In 1837/38 the Patriots War following the burning of the Carolin http://www.historycentral.com/Ant/caroline.html was a fiasco of crazy unemployed nuts. Then in 1866 the Fennians attempted to invade again. Another fiasco. I ain't got nothing to say about the rifles, though :(

Few things are more pleasing to a thread than this, all in succession:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Tiberius. View it anyway?
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by ExiledInIllinois. View it anyway?
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Tiberius. View it anyway?