New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

The funny thing is that you make statements about them being "opponents of the United States" and refuse to recognize their regional and state loyalty that, at the time, was a much bigger concern that it is nowadays, and that led decorated veterans like Lee and Jackson to resign their commissions in the US Army and sign on to the Army of Virginia. And yet...you justify your apathy using a concept of regional loyalty that you deny them.

Too bad that regional locality was based upon racist ideology

I wonder if those calling for removal of these statues would call for the removal of any monuments to that racist FDR.

I think we both know the answer to that. He must have just locked up all those Japanese Americans for their own protection, right?

Edited by Azalin

History. How does it work?

Texas 'Antifacist' Group to Protest Statue of Sam Houston

Texas-Antifa-Group-to-Protest-Statue-of-

Yes, Houston owned slaves. But during his tenure as a Texas Senator, he voted against the spread of slavery into new states repeatedly. His refusal to join the secessionist movement and swear allegiance to the Confederacy cost Houston the Texas Governorship. Thanks to his loyalty to preserving the Union, Houston was kicked out of office and replaced by the pro-Confederacy Lieutenant Governor.

But history is meaningless to many. Despite his allegiance to the Union and to preventing the spread of slavery, a strange group calling themselves the Texas Antifa is promising to eradicate Texas of its Confederate emblems. They’ve started by declaring war on a statue of Sam Houston located in Houston’s well-loved Hermann Park.

So wild is the language in their posts, that I’m not entirely sure whether they’re sincerely anarchist extremists, or just trolling everyone.

History. How does it work?

Texas 'Antifacist' Group to Protest Statue of Sam Houston

Texas-Antifa-Group-to-Protest-Statue-of-

Yes, Houston owned slaves. But during his tenure as a Texas Senator, he voted against the spread of slavery into new states repeatedly. His refusal to join the secessionist movement and swear allegiance to the Confederacy cost Houston the Texas Governorship. Thanks to his loyalty to preserving the Union, Houston was kicked out of office and replaced by the pro-Confederacy Lieutenant Governor.

But history is meaningless to many. Despite his allegiance to the Union and to preventing the spread of slavery, a strange group calling themselves the Texas Antifa is promising to eradicate Texas of its Confederate emblems. They’ve started by declaring war on a statue of Sam Houston located in Houston’s well-loved Hermann Park.

So wild is the language in their posts, that I’m not entirely sure whether they’re sincerely anarchist extremists, or just trolling everyone.

Jesus Christ...I was !@#$ing kidding, people!!!!

My jokes are having a sad habit of becoming reality, recently. I've got to start joking more positively, about me winning the lottery or Tom Brady getting mauled by a rabid pit bull or something.

Should probably unperson these two while we're at it

clinton-gore-confederate-1992.jpeg

That flag is only okay if Freebird will be played soon.

Don't remind the Dems that they were the Jim Crow dis-Reconstructed south....

The most volatile monuments are what the south put up at Gettysburg National Military Park.

(which was and in the North for those obviously ignorant of basic Civil War and post-war decisions...)

The most volatile monuments are what the south put up at Gettysburg National Military Park.

(which was and in the North for those obviously ignorant of basic Civil War and post-war decisions...)

The worst "monuments" at Gettysburg are all the fast food places and stores starting to crowd the battlefield. I was there about a month ago and its still pretty awesome. Standing at the Bloody Angle! Wow. General John Gibbon looking over your shoulder...

That flag is only okay if Freebird will be played soon.

Don't remind the Dems that they were the Jim Crow dis-Reconstructed south....

Reminds me of a former black coworker that kept a copy of Skynards Greatest Hits in his car in case he ever got pulled over:lol:

No, he !@#$ing didn't. Lincoln freed ZERO slaves. None. Robert E. Lee freed more slaves than Lincoln.

Lincoln freed many slaves and pushed to have them all freed. The EP did free and then allowed to enlist those former slaves into the army.

The Great Emancipator! :thumbsup:

Lincoln freed many slaves and pushed to have them all freed. The EP did free and then allowed to enlist those former slaves into the army.

The Great Emancipator! :thumbsup:

The EP freed no one. It was a speech. Slaves in the North were still slaves, because the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to the Union. Slaves in the South were still slaves, because Lincoln had no legal or practical authority over the South (which is the entire reason the Civil War was fought). Slaves in portions of the South occupied by the Union Army were legally contraband - i.e., property - in line with federal law and Dred Scott.

Lee, on the other hand, emancipated as many as 200 slaves from the Custis estates.

The EP freed no one. It was a speech. Slaves in the North were still slaves, because the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to the Union. Slaves in the South were still slaves, because Lincoln had no legal or practical authority over the South (which is the entire reason the Civil War was fought). Slaves in portions of the South occupied by the Union Army were legally contraband - i.e., property - in line with federal law and Dred Scott.

Lee, on the other hand, emancipated as many as 200 slaves from the Custis estates.

shhh

Don't let actual facts disrupt what an 8 yr old learned in history class. Lincoln freed the slaves!