New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

Few things are more pleasing to a thread than this, all in succession:

Look inward.

That's cool... I gotta send this to my sister. She lives in Enosburg Falls. My BiL is from the Northeast Kingdom of VT... I wonder if they know this about St. Albans?

They only attacked as north as Gettysburg.

Confederates almost attacked Buffalo

Nice,

Here is one about Rebels on Lake Erie. Supposedly there was an aim to bombard Buffalo, but who knows

http://www.nytimes.com/1864/09/25/news/rebels-lake-erie-particulars-attempt-capture-steamer-michigan.html?pagewanted=all

Rewriting American History By Walter E.Williams

George Orwell said, "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets' effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

Today there are efforts to rewrite history in the U.S., albeit the punishment is not so draconian as that in the Soviet Union. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu had a Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee monument removed last month. Former Memphis Mayor A C Wharton wanted the statue of Confederate Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, as well as the graves of Forrest and his wife, removed from the city park. In Richmond, Virginia, there have been calls for the removal of the Monument Avenue statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Gens. Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and J.E.B. Stuart. It's not only Confederate statues that have come under attack. Just by having the name of a Confederate, such as J.E.B. Stuart High School in Falls Church, Virginia, brings up calls for a name change. These history rewriters have enjoyed nearly total success in getting the Confederate flag removed from state capitol grounds and other public places.

Slavery is an undeniable fact of our history. The costly war fought to end it is also a part of the nation's history. Neither will go away through cultural cleansing. Removing statues of Confederates and renaming buildings are just a small part of the true agenda of America's leftists. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, and there's a monument that bears his name — the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. George Washington also owned slaves, and there's a monument to him, as well — the Washington Monument in Washington. Will the people who call for removal of statues in New Orleans and Richmond also call for the removal of the Washington, D.C., monuments honoring slaveholders Jefferson and Washington? Will the people demanding a change in the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School also demand that the name of the nation's capital be changed?

{snip}

The job of tyrants and busybodies is never done. When they accomplish one goal, they move their agenda to something else. If we Americans give them an inch, they'll take a yard. So I say, don't give them an inch in the first place. The hate-America types use every tool at their disposal to achieve their agenda of discrediting and demeaning our history. Our history of slavery is simply a convenient tool to further their cause.

https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/06/17/rewriting-american-history

Rewriting American History

By Walter E.Williams

George Orwell said, "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets' effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

Today there are efforts to rewrite history in the U.S., albeit the punishment is not so draconian as that in the Soviet Union. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu had a Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee monument removed last month. Former Memphis Mayor A C Wharton wanted the statue of Confederate Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, as well as the graves of Forrest and his wife, removed from the city park. In Richmond, Virginia, there have been calls for the removal of the Monument Avenue statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Gens. Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and J.E.B. Stuart. It's not only Confederate statues that have come under attack. Just by having the name of a Confederate, such as J.E.B. Stuart High School in Falls Church, Virginia, brings up calls for a name change. These history rewriters have enjoyed nearly total success in getting the Confederate flag removed from state capitol grounds and other public places.

Slavery is an undeniable fact of our history. The costly war fought to end it is also a part of the nation's history. Neither will go away through cultural cleansing. Removing statues of Confederates and renaming buildings are just a small part of the true agenda of America's leftists. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, and there's a monument that bears his name — the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. George Washington also owned slaves, and there's a monument to him, as well — the Washington Monument in Washington. Will the people who call for removal of statues in New Orleans and Richmond also call for the removal of the Washington, D.C., monuments honoring slaveholders Jefferson and Washington? Will the people demanding a change in the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School also demand that the name of the nation's capital be changed?

{snip}

The job of tyrants and busybodies is never done. When they accomplish one goal, they move their agenda to something else. If we Americans give them an inch, they'll take a yard. So I say, don't give them an inch in the first place. The hate-America types use every tool at their disposal to achieve their agenda of discrediting and demeaning our history. Our history of slavery is simply a convenient tool to further their cause.

https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/06/17/rewriting-american-history

No surprise that you are posting this. Since the GOP nominee for governor in Virginia got a lot of votes running on this issue

The left's march downward continues.................

The anti-history crowd responsible for the eradication of Civil War statues and monuments around the country is destroying tourism in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

Much of the original Gettysburg battlefield is preserved and maintained by the National Park Service. The Gettysburg History Museum, a separate entity, is also a well-frequented attraction. Or it was.

And it’s the Museum that’s publicly lamenting the damage they claim is caused by extreme revisionists. On their public Facebook page, the Gettysburg History Museum said protesters are killing tourism:

Screen-Shot-2017-06-28-at-3.43.40-PM-e14

The museum also refuses to censor history.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-28-at-4.40.18-PM-e14

For their refusal to surrender fact to immature and insecure emotion, the museum, along with the battlefield will be subjected to militant anti-history protests planned by Antifa groups on the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. These Antifa groups plan to burn Confederate battle flags and desecrate graves. Philly reports:http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/confederate-gettysburg-protests-battle-anniversary-20170627.html

http://legalinsurrection.com/2017/06/anti-history-protesters-are-destroying-tourism-in-gettysburg/

Confederates almost attacked Buffalo

Nice,

Here is one about Rebels on Lake Erie. Supposedly there was an aim to bombard Buffalo, but who knows

http://www.nytimes.com/1864/09/25/news/rebels-lake-erie-particulars-attempt-capture-steamer-michigan.html?pagewanted=all

I know the story of the USS Michigan (later renamed the Wolverine) well. It holds a place of distinction in the lore of my native Erie, PA and one of my ancestors served as CoB in the early 20th century

I know the story of the USS Michigan (later renamed the Wolverine) well. It holds a place of distinction in the lore of my native Erie, PA and one of my ancestors served as CoB in the early 20th century

Yes! The front part of the ship is actually in a museum in Erie now. Erie is a nice place.

Like I always say, history isn't about what happened, it's about the telling of what happened. And nobody understood that better than leaders of the confederacy towards the end of the Civil War. There was a concerted effort by confederate leadership to get ahead of the narrative as they sought re-entry into the union and throughout reconstruction. This included the purging of professors from southern universities that didn't teach the proper "version" of events as well as the discarding of textbooks that did the same. So I have to chuckle at those protesting against the "rewriting of history" in disagreeing with the removal of statues in the south. Personally, I don't care if they stay or go as the issue is not germane to the question of history anyway. The removal or keeping of statues doesn't change things one way of the other.

One question I've long had is who said southern history is only within the purview of white men to tell and honor? Like it or not, descendants of slaves and the thousands lynched in the name of white supremacy have a say in that history as well.

Like I always say, history isn't about what happened, it's about the telling of what happened. And nobody understood that better than leaders of the confederacy towards the end of the Civil War. There was a concerted effort by confederate leadership to get ahead of the narrative as they sought re-entry into the union and throughout reconstruction. This included the purging of professors from southern universities that didn't teach the proper "version" of events as well as the discarding of textbooks that did the same. So I have to chuckle at those protesting against the "rewriting of history" in disagreeing with the removal of statues in the south. Personally, I don't care if they stay or go as the issue is not germane to the question of history anyway. The removal or keeping of statues doesn't change things one way of the other.

One question I've long had is who said southern history is only within the purview of white men to tell and honor? Like it or not, descendants of slaves and the thousands lynched in the name of white supremacy have a say in that history as well.

to the first part. you don't know the civil war very well and its detriment to the average southern man.

to the last part - they do, they vote. they're a minority voice of this % as the dumbass democrats who want to oppress free speech and they're losing.

These Antifa groups plan to burn Confederate battle flags and desecrate graves.

Please, anybody on the left, make a convincing or compelling case in support of desecrating graves.

to the first part. you don't know the civil war very well and its detriment to the average southern man.

to the last part - they do, they vote. they're a minority voice of this % as the dumbass democrats who want to oppress free speech and they're losing.

When you've researched and read as much about the Civil War as I have, perhaps we can have an adult discussion. As for the sanitized and mythologized aspect of the narrative, start with Pollard and work your way forward. Also, review letters from confederate leaders at the time and do some research on the purging of educators and textbooks.

It was never about the "average southern man" politically. And we can all empathize with the fact that the "average man" gets phucked over no matter what.

As to that last part, I'm not surprised the point completely escapes you.

When you've researched and read as much about the Civil War as I have, perhaps we can have an adult discussion. As for the sanitized and mythologized aspect of the narrative, start with Pollard and work your way forward. Also, review letters from confederate leaders at the time and do some research on the purging of educators and textbooks.

It was never about the "average southern man" politically. And we can all empathize with the fact that the "average man" gets phucked over no matter what.

As to that last part, I'm not surprised the point completely escapes you.

why wasn't it about the average citizen?

that's a matter of opinion

Ahh... Poor Southern Snowflakes. I didn't know "Snowflakes" existed in 1863.

They should have started:

#VicksburgLivesMatter

#OccupyElmira

Nah nah nah nah... We won we won.

Wait. That 'taint right!

But that's not desecration.

Defacing or defiling a grave is desecration, and is not acceptable.

That's why the most villainous are buried in unmarked graves, if indeed they're put into the ground at all.