New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

1 dead, 19 injured before rally of right-wing groups in Charlottesville

Video of the incident shows a gray Dodge Challenger driving quickly down a narrow side street lined with walking protesters. The sports car rams into the back of a silver convertible, which hits the van in front of it.

Soon the Dodge driver slams the car in reverse, going back up the street at a high rate of speed, dragging its front bumper. Several people chase the car. As the sports car retreats, a red athletic shoe falls off the bumper.

The protesters of the white supremacy rally played right into their hands. You just let them light their torches, show off their Nazi tattoos, and shout stupid racist crap so the rest of the country can see what detestable people they really are (similar to how pathetic the "not my president" protesters looked after election day in front of Trump Tower). Now white supremacists can play the victim card as the protesters were threatening their right to free speech.

Exactly. You know how difficult it is for me, as someone with a historian's perspective that is repulsed by the Taliban-like erasure of the past that taking down monuments is like, to actually express that when it makes me a neo-Nazi in most people's eyes?

I lived near Berkeley as well, and we can go there if you want.

Your assertion that I am "upset because they've inconvenienced" me is idiotic, untrue and silly.

I was not upset at all about the "inconvenience."

What bothers me is the imported nature of this, and it is extremely obvious to those of us who live here.

This is an overweight, tattooed, stupid looking group of folks who have taken over our town for a weekend.

Still, that is not the point.

This is a hate group that recruited similarly thinking haters and brought them here.

Got it?

Disgusting.

I'd take them over the granola, bandana wearing, face painting, projectile throwing and anti American groups.

You know that's not the narrative we're getting. We'll be told we either have to lionize the victiims or sympathize with the driver.

Exactly. A quick check of CNN revealed that to a "T". ( sorry I started a thread about that instead of checking this one first, mods). They were pushing the narrative that Trump wasn't harder on the protesters than he was on the terrorist(s) in the car. Had to laugh at the moral relativism. As if plowing cars into people you disagree with is deserving of our emapathy!

The protesters of the white supremacy rally played right into their hands. You just let them light their torches, show off their Nazi tattoos, and shout stupid racist crap so the rest of the country can see what detestable people they really are (similar to how pathetic the "not my president" protesters looked after election day in front of Trump Tower). Now white supremacists can play the victim card as the protesters were threatening their right to free speech.

Exactly. You know how difficult it is for me, as someone with a historian's perspective that is repulsed by the Taliban-like erasure of the past that taking down monuments is like, to actually express that when it makes me a neo-Nazi in most people's eyes?

Yup, :beer: to both of you.

Try carrying that torch in Los Angeles in the entertainment industry... I've never heard the phrase "you're too privileged to understand why free speech is dangerous" said so often by otherwise smart/caring/good people. I hear it multiple times a day when the conversation is brought up. Other fecking writers are telling me this without a hint of irony.

Now a police helicopter is down?

https://twitter.com/w7voa/status/896481069180084225

We have history books to record the good and bad of historical events. Statues are normally reserved for inspirational people or events. Celebrating the treasonous actions of the Confederacy with statues is not inspirational, and shows a lack of empathy for the historical treatment of blacks. Never forget, but don't celebrate or honor. Belief in a cause doesn't excuse action, otherwise we'd have statues of Nazis, and would tell Jews that it's a historical record.

I wish everyone would stop with the "alt-right," "anti-fa,""white nationalist" nonsense.

The word for both sets of protesters is fascism.

They're not even making it difficult for you on this one.

David Burge

@iowahawkblog
Follow
2375_84984116216_633511216_2728356_71328More

Welcome to College Game Day live from Charlottesville! Will Lee Corso put on the Hitler or Stalin head?

Edited by B-Man

We have history books to record the good and bad of historical events. Statues are normally reserved for inspirational people or events. Celebrating the treasonous actions of the Confederacy with statues is not inspirational, and shows a lack of empathy for the historical treatment of blacks. Never forget, but don't celebrate or honor. Belief in a cause doesn't excuse action, otherwise we'd have statues of Nazis, and would tell Jews that it's a historical record.

You're right, good thing Auschwitz is only a memory in books and pictures

You are blaming the people that stood up to the hate groups? You don't think it's good they help to cast the light on this people? No one stood up to Hitler until is was too late.

A video from another angle. (needless to say, graphic violence warning)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154747363851770&id=182919686769

Absolutely no excuse for the drivers actions, hopefully he'll be put away for the rest of his life.

I would like to point out in addition, even though simpletons like Gator, pasta and bf will no doubt misinterpret this.

That immediately after the a**hole drives into the crowd, note how many of these 'protesters' attack the car with batons and other objects.

Who brings those to a peaceful 'counter protest' ?

Plenty of folks on both sides came hoping for violence.

A pox on all of them.

You are blaming the people that stood up to the hate groups? You don't think it's good they help to cast the light on this people? No one stood up to Hitler until is was too late.

No. I was saying the best way to respond to them would be to stay home and put their idiocy on full display, but they took the bait and now there's a woman dead.

No. I was saying the best way to respond to them would be to stay home and put their idiocy on full display, but they took the bait and now there's a woman dead.

No one should die for exercising their constitutional rights. Some animal killed her because he obviously doesn't think she should have rights. They were holding a hate rally and of course people are going to protest them. Blaming the victims is kind of strange to say the least