New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

You see how easy it is to rile up the simple minded...........................on the Left and Right

"White nationalists and counterprotesters are expected to flood downtown Charlottesville Saturday as the Virginia city braces for the 'Unite the Right' rally."
"By noon, thousands are expected to gather in Emancipation Park, where barricades have been placed in proximity to the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. The rally comes hours after a large group of torch-bearing white nationalists marched through the University of Virginia campus Friday night."

CNN reports.

The city council has voted to take down the statue of General Lee (and to rename 2 parks named after Confederate generals).
What, exactly, is the big deal about a march espousing a political point of view? Isn't this the sort of thing Americans should take in stride? Why not say some kind words about free speech, register your disagreement with the opinion the crowd is expressing, and move on?

I think the best answer to that last question is that people who disagree with the opinion see an opportunity to express their own opinion, to use the assembled crowd as a platform to express disagreement with the opinion expressed by that crowd. There's nothing really wrong with that, but why should onlookers like me get riled up about anything? It's just another normal day in America.

But that's not what CNN wants me to think.
It's telling me that Charlottesville is a "quiet and progressive town." Nestled there are "residents on edge" (because noisy out-of-towners have arrived to speak on behalf of the monumentally silent statue).
A "business owner" is quoted saying that townsfolk "have a lot of fears," and "are just anxious." He mentions "a blood bath... looting... mass arrests... police having to turn on citizens." I don't understand what that refers to. Counterprotests? Which "citizens" are the police going to have to turn on? Citizens of the quiet and progressive town of Charlottesville who are beset by outsiders exercising their free speech rights?

CNN quotes Larry Sabato, the director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics: "In my 47 years of association with @UVA, this was the most nauseating thing I've ever seen. We need an exorcism on the Lawn."
Could somebody explain what he's so upset about? Why can't you look at a protest march you disagree with?

Could somebody explain what he's so upset about? Why can't you look at a protest march you disagree with?

I'm not sure what Sabato is upset about, but I can tell you what the rest of us are.

I live here.

I had the "opportunity" to drive through this crap on the way home from a volunteer project.

It looks like a war zone, and totally driven by these creepy white supremacists who have decided to make this ground zero.

I watched as the marched to their protest site.

Not intentionally. I was stopped as they slobbered across a major road.

Same demographic, and I saw hundreds of them.

Mid to late 20's.

Male, but for a few.

Overweight.

Face makeup. Posters.

Looked like total losers.

It looked like nothing more than an imported hate group.

I'm not sure what Sabato is upset about, but I can tell you what the rest of us are.

I live here.

I had the "opportunity" to drive through this crap on the way home from a volunteer project.

It looks like a war zone, and totally driven by these creepy white supremacists who have decided to make this ground zero.

Mid to late 20's.

Male, but for a few.

Overweight.

Face makeup. Posters.

So you're upset because they've inconvenience you? First world problem right there.

This all sounds very similar to what was going on in Berkeley when I lived up there.

I live here.

Mid to late 20's.

Male, but for a few.

Overweight.

Face makeup. Posters.

Thanks for the insight from your actual perspective

it was an imported hate group.....as the post tried to explain, it could have been handled better..................and the fanning flames of CNN only serve to rile up the lemmings.

Here is more:

‘White supremacists and counter-protesters’ continue to clash in #Charlottesville, Va. [videos at link]

You don't understand why someone is disgusted about a march FOR racism?

Stick to posting stories.

LOL.............wow Benny....that is Gator-level poor comprehension.....................Stick to your sermon "from" the Mount posts .............. :lol:

So you're upset because they've inconvenience you? First world problem right there.

This all sounds very similar to what was going on in Berkeley when I lived up there.

I lived near Berkeley as well, and we can go there if you want.

Your assertion that I am "upset because they've inconvenienced" me is idiotic, untrue and silly.

I was not upset at all about the "inconvenience."

What bothers me is the imported nature of this, and it is extremely obvious to those of us who live here.

This is an overweight, tattooed, stupid looking group of folks who have taken over our town for a weekend.

Still, that is not the point.

This is a hate group that recruited similarly thinking haters and brought them here.

Got it?

Disgusting.

Edited by sherpa

Somebody plowed their car into the anti-fascist counter protesters, then sped off. Many injuries.

Trump to take time off from golf to give a statement. A little too late from the guy who has given these white nationalists the "courage" to spew their hatred. The 2nd Civil War now in action.

Somebody plowed their car into the anti-fascist counter protesters, then sped off. Many injuries.

Trump to take time off from golf to give a statement. A little too late from the guy who has given these white nationalists the "courage" to spew their hatred. The 2nd Civil War now in action.

2wAz8I4.png

Here's a name I had forgotten:

This represents a turning point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our country back, Duke said. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. Thats what we believed in. Thats why we voted for Donald Trump, because he said hes going to take our country back.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/david-duke-charlottesville-rally-trump-promises

So a white supremacist gathering to protest the removal of a statue that represents our history is causing all of the problems? Now we have BLM and other counter protestors confronting them with the hopes of keeping them from exercising their free speech rights. Anyway one looks at it it's apparent that if the counter protestors were not trying to trample on free speech rights then there would be no violence. It would appear that they are the troublemakers.

This represents a turning point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our country back, Duke said. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. Thats what we believed in. Thats why we voted for Donald Trump, because he said hes going to take our country back.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/david-duke-charlottesville-rally-trump-promises

Just remember a David Duke endorsement of Trump is not the same as a Trump endorsement of Duke.

From the link in your story

Trump On David Duke Support: ‘How Many Times Do I Have To Disavow?’ {03/01/16}

All kinds of vermin can say they support you, but that doesnt mean you have their views........this fake connection is commonly used by those looking to unfairly smear opponents

From today:

We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!

and yes, I still think that The Donald is a blowhard in over his head, but you have to take incident on it's own

Edited by B-Man

So a white supremacist gathering to protest the removal of a statue that represents our history is causing all of the problems? Now we have BLM and other counter protestors confronting them with the hopes of keeping them from exercising their free speech rights. Anyway one looks at it it's apparent that if the counter protestors were not trying to trample on free speech rights then there would be no violence. It would appear that they are the troublemakers.

Just remember a David Duke endorsement of Trump is not the same as a Trump endorsement of Duke.

Nonsense.

This is intentional provocation, and that is not in any way an intent to excuse the response.\

But ........You recruit thousands to show up in a small town with disgusting, racial, hate filled innuendo as a motive, then you show up on the University of Virginia grounds on a Friday night with torches, you are either a moron or an instigator.

I think both.

Freedom of speech has no greater county on earth than Jefferson's Albemarle, where this is.

Intentional provocation has its own, predictable results, especially when both sides have recruited for months from outside this area.

So were these heroic victims of a fascist driver, or was it a heroic driver fighting against fascist oppression?

Neither. The driver of the car was a POS and if you're out in the streets in Charlottestville today, you're not a particularly bright person.

Neither. The driver of the car was a POS and if you're out in the streets in Charlottestville today, you're not a particularly bright person.

This is occurring in a really small area, and unfortunately for the rest of us, taking care of a number of things, often charitable, goes on.

You know that's not the narrative we're getting. We'll be told we either have to lionize the victiims or sympathize with the driver.

LOL.............wow Benny....that is Gator-level poor comprehension.....................Stick to your sermon "from" the Mount posts .............. :lol:

Try your moronic question on for size again: "Could somebody explain what he's so upset about? Why can't you look at a protest march you disagree with? "

You don't see what he's upset about. It takes work to be that willfully ignorant. But you did it! Bravo.

You know that's not the narrative we're getting. We'll be told we either have to lionize the victiims or sympathize with the driver.

The protesters of the white supremacy rally played right into their hands. You just let them light their torches, show off their Nazi tattoos, and shout stupid racist crap so the rest of the country can see what detestable people they really are (similar to how pathetic the "not my president" protesters looked after election day in front of Trump Tower). Now white supremacists can play the victim card as the protesters were threatening their right to free speech.