New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

The aim and accomplishment of Lincoln to preserve the Union by admitting the Confederates back, after loyalty oaths and such, is one of the most magnanimous actions in war history.

Asking a sworn enemy to swear to loyalty oaths is magnanimous?

just thinking after a discussion at a bar last week i overheard.

premise was that we need to avoid cultural appropriation of our past in order to move forward. remove monuments to the archaic southern lifestyle and advance in a generation of equality. our past history does not need to be discussed by anyone. of course, they compared it to hitler, wwii germany, etc... and i almost went to their table to ask if they should remove the interment camps and other such things, as well.

but, i didn't. i also wanted to ask them their approach on isil, isis & daesch, LLC partners. do they endorse them destroying the culture of the past in order to advance their society?

in 100 years when isil, isis and daesch, LLC partners take over the country will the be acceptably removing uhmeriKKKan monuments?

I have no Southern heritage, all of this means nothing to me. I'm not sure why this upsets so many Northerners. Many of whom didn't even have any ancestors in America at the time of the Civil War. I couldn't care less about they do. I don't know why so many others do. I can understand why someone with Southern heritage would hate this. I would be completely understanding of their feelings. I just can't comprehend why in 2017 so many Northeners have a love affair with the Confederacy.

I have no Southern heritage, all of this means nothing to me. I'm not sure why this upsets so many Northerners. Many of whom didn't even have any ancestors in America at the time of the Civil War. I couldn't care less about they do. I don't know why so many others do. I can understand why someone with Southern heritage would hate this. I would be completely understanding of their feelings. I just can't comprehend why in 2017 so many Northeners have a love affair with the Confederacy.

It's not a love affair with the Confederacy. It's a respect for history and heritage. Hell, aren't you upset with the destruction of ancient sites and artifacts caused by ISIS?

I have no connection to Afghanistan, and the destruction of the Bamian Buddhas pissed me off too.

People who want to erase history because it offends their own sense of idolatry are !@#$s, plain and simple.

It's not a love affair with the Confederacy. It's a respect for history and heritage. Hell, aren't you upset with the destruction of ancient sites and artifacts caused by ISIS?

I agree, but I don't care about statues that commentate opponents of the United States. Do we care about statues of other opponents of the US in wars? One bullet hitting the wrong person could have stopped my very existence. Why would I care about statues of those guys? I don't necessarily agree with taking them down. I'm just saying that as a Northerner it doesn't matter to me.

I agree, but I don't care about statues that commentate opponents of the United States. Do we care about statues of other opponents of the US in wars? One bullet hitting the wrong person could have stopped my very existence. Why would I care about statues of those guys? I don't necessarily agree with taking them down. I'm just saying that as a Northerner it doesn't matter to me.

The funny thing is that you make statements about them being "opponents of the United States" and refuse to recognize their regional and state loyalty that, at the time, was a much bigger concern that it is nowadays, and that led decorated veterans like Lee and Jackson to resign their commissions in the US Army and sign on to the Army of Virginia. And yet...you justify your apathy using a concept of regional loyalty that you deny them.

I'm glad my attitude towards the South won out in the years after the Civil War ended. Your attitude would not have aided reconciliation.

The funny thing is that you make statements about them being "opponents of the United States" and refuse to recognize their regional and state loyalty that, at the time, was a much bigger concern that it is nowadays, and that led decorated veterans like Lee and Jackson to resign their commissions in the US Army and sign on to the Army of Virginia. And yet...you justify your apathy using a concept of regional loyalty that you deny them.

I don't deny them "regional loyalty". They fought a war against the United States. It is the heritage of many southerners. I don't see why any Southern local/state government would bow to pressure. I grant them all the regional loyalty they please. The statues being removed don't erase history or change anything. I'm just not going to pine the loss of those statues like many on this board. Why would I care if statues of people who fought against my forefathers were removed?

I'm glad my attitude towards the South won out in the years after the Civil War ended. Your attitude would not have aided reconciliation.

I'm all about reconciliation. It's not like I'd make them remove the statues. I just said that I don't understand all the Northerners who are sad about it.

I don't deny them "regional loyalty". They fought a war against the United States. It is the heritage of many southerners. I don't see why any Southern local/state government would bow to pressure. I grant them all the regional loyalty they please. The statues being removed don't erase history or change anything. I'm just not going to pine the loss of those statues like many on this board. Why would I care if statues of people who fought against my forefathers were removed?

I'm all about reconciliation. It's not like I'd make them remove the statues. I just said that I don't understand all the Northerners who are sad about it.

My type of heartfelt respect after the war, would have been conducive to reconciliation. Your attitude wouldn't.

My type of heartfelt respect after the war, would have been conducive to reconciliation. Your attitude wouldn't.

What attitude? My only attitude is that I don't care if they choose to decimate their own heritage. It's not my heritage. I haven't said one negative thing about the south, so I don't know what the h*** you are talking about. It's a crying shame you weren't alive in the 19th century. You would have been able to solve a lot of problems.