New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

From what I posted before the march.

What, exactly, is the big deal about a march espousing a political point of view? Isn't this the sort of thing Americans should take in stride? Why not say some kind words about free speech, register your disagreement with the opinion the crowd is expressing, and move on?

I think the best answer to that last question is that people who disagree with the opinion see an opportunity to express their own opinion, to use the assembled crowd as a platform to express disagreement with the opinion expressed by that crowd. There's nothing really wrong with that, but why should onlookers like me get riled up about anything? It's just another normal day in America.

But that's not what CNN wants me to think.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with protesting these idiot "nazis", if they showed up in my town I would also.
But I will not turn a blind eye to the thugs from Antifa also. Do you really expect us to forget their violent actions in the past year ?

he just said no one stopped Hitler. ... Do you not read him? I saw it when someone else quoted him

One Officer tried to assassinate Hitler but failed. He was able to fool the masses.

No one here would equate Trump to Hitler. No one could fool the masses here.

There are small radical groups on the far right and left the police need to deal with like in VA.

We have history books to record the good and bad of historical events. Statues are normally reserved for inspirational people or events. Celebrating the treasonous actions of the Confederacy with statues is not inspirational, and shows a lack of empathy for the historical treatment of blacks. Never forget, but don't celebrate or honor. Belief in a cause doesn't excuse action, otherwise we'd have statues of Nazis, and would tell Jews that it's a historical record.

Did you know we - the United States - have a statue honoring Josef Stalin?

No one should die for exercising their constitutional rights. Some animal killed her because he obviously doesn't think she should have rights. They were holding a hate rally and of course people are going to protest them. Blaming the victims is kind of strange to say the least

I didn't say that. My one hope was and I stated it earlier today is that nobody died because of this stupidity. Obviously, it's the wack job in the car who is at fault, but would you still protest in the streets after the governor declared a state of emergency for the area and begged people to go home (I'm not sure if public protest rights are suspended under a state of emergency)?

All I saw yesterday were idiots on opposite sides fighting each other and a casualty occurred because of it. Not to mention, the horrific helicopter crash that killed two police officers trying to prevent the mayhem there.

Edited by Doc Brown

You're right, good thing Auschwitz is only a memory in books and pictures

That giant Mengele statue in Berlin is touching.

Auschwitz is a solemn reminder of the Holocaust, not a symbol for Neo Nazi protests. The Lee statue is a celebration of the general and become a rallying point for racists. There's no equivalence to Auschwitz.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

Auschwitz is a solemn reminder of the Holocaust, not a symbol for Neo Nazi protests. The Lee statue is a celebration of the general and become a rallying point for racists. There's no equivalence to Auschwitz.

So, if in the future, bald supremacists begin a movement and rally around the writings of Franklin and Newton, then we should tear down statues and burn books?

I highly doubt that a hunk of metal inspires somebody to be a hateful bigot.

To them the rallying point wasn't the statue, but the reinforcement of their view that the white man is under attack.

I did say exactly that.

So then what should be the new name for Columbus Ohio in your humble opinion?

The bottom line is that people are imperfect beings. In reality people as a whole do not deserve statues being made of them. That is because no matter how many great ideas they espoused, if we are forced to remember the whole person, there will inevitably be flaws, some of them gigantic....in every single person.

Columbus' discovery, along with Newton's and Franklin's deserve plaudits, perhaps in the form of a statue, who gets to measure the offsets to these achievements to determine statue worthiness?

Should knuckleheads of future generations surrounding a statue of Franklin and bragging about their European mistresses be enough to take it down?

I have my opinions....I certainly thought Joe Paterno's disgusting concealment of a child rapist was enough to take his statue down. Most Penn State loons disagreed. I'm sure you have your opinions. Who gets to decide?

Did you know we - the United States - have a statue honoring Josef Stalin?

As part of a larger WWII memorial dedicated to all the Allies that fought against the Nazis. It's not there to honor his murder of Russians. Many of the Confederate statues were erected in the '60s as a protest against the Civil rights act and the federal government's support for desegregation.

As part of a larger WWII memorial dedicated to all the Allies that fought against the Nazis. It's not there to honor his murder of Russians.

Many of the Confederate statues were erected in the '60s as a protest against the Civil rights act and the federal government's support for desegregation.

Link ?

The Charlottesville Robert E. Lee Statue isn’t something that was built when Virginia was a member of the Confederate States of America. It wasn’t even built in the years after the Civil War. The statue was commissioned in 1917, 52 years after the war ended, and was finally erected in 1924, 59 years after the war ended.

Edited by B-Man

So then what should be the new name for Columbus Ohio in your humble opinion?

The bottom line is that people are imperfect beings. In reality people as a whole do not deserve statues being made of them. That is because no matter how many great ideas they espoused, if we are forced to remember the whole person, there will inevitably be flaws, some of them gigantic....in every single person.

Columbus' discovery, along with Newton's and Franklin's deserve plaudits, perhaps in the form of a statue, who gets to measure the offsets to these achievements to determine statue worthiness?

Should knuckleheads of future generations surrounding a statue of Franklin and bragging about their European mistresses be enough to take it down?

I have my opinions....I certainly thought Joe Paterno's disgusting concealment of a child rapist was enough to take his statue down. Most Penn State loons disagreed. I'm sure you have your opinions. Who gets to decide?

I don't really care who decides. Clearly the future does. This Lee statue thing is not about Lee: It's about the white supremacists who showed up. Somehow a bunch of people here have turned this into, "It's the left's fault for creating them/inviting them/something."

I could give two spits about whether they keep the statue or not. They have some local council for that decision.

(And if you're going to judge a founding father as morally wanting, I'm down the list. Jefferson is the easy target.)

Meh...what's the point of living in a civilized society. If you don't agree with something simply destroy it. I guess that's what we have devolved into.

I bet if you put a cowboy hat on an MLK statue these idiots wouldn't know the difference and tear it down too.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Taking down statues that offend some, next it will be banning books that some find offensive, and that's how it starts

How's your lawn jockey working out?

It's not how it starts. Taking down statues happens sometimes for historical offensiveness, sometimes for other reasons. It doesn't mean that we're 3 years from prison camps. Don't go all sky-is-falling histrionic.

This is a small statue in the corner of a small college town. Lee comes down. Paterno stays. The Yin and Yang is still in balance.

Hurrah to mob rule! :thumbsup:

Everytime you talk to Gator, I may glance at what he wrote. Decided to read that linked story.

Yeah Gator: That's really great that a bunch of people broke the law and smashed public property. Bravo indeed. What do you think the reaction to violence is?

To keep a theme going, anyone, anyone?

Everytime you talk to him, I may glance at what he wrote. Decided to read that story.

Yeah Gator: That's really great that a bunch of people broke the law and smashed public property. Bravo indeed. What do you think the reaction to violence is?

are you trying to rival gator?

How's your lawn jockey working out?

It's not how it starts. Taking down statues happens sometimes for historical offensiveness, sometimes for other reasons. It doesn't mean that we're 3 years from prison camps. Don't go all sky-is-falling histrionic.

This is a small statue in the corner of a small college town. Lee comes down. Paterno stays. The Yin and Yang is still in balance.

bullcrap,it's happening all over, my county, named Lee, the NAACP is insisting they change the name, even though it's been Lee County for over a hundred years, it happened in New Orleans, and other cities in the south. Liberals are the most intolerant people. The Jefferson Memorial may be next cause he had slaves and even had sex with them

Violence begets violence.............................

The conservative response to Black Lives Matter can’t be “white lives matter,” which some of the white nationalists in Charlottesville were chanting over the weekend.

The correct response is a rejection of identity politics and a focus on treating people as individuals first rather than members of a racial or ethnic group.

Edited by B-Man

bullcrap,it's happening all over, my county, named Lee, the NAACP is insisting they change the name, even though it's been Lee County for over a hundred years, it happened in New Orleans, and other cities in the south. Liberals are the most intolerant people. The Jefferson Memorial may be next cause he had slaves and even had sex with them

Well, that may be the only statue to stay up then.

Maybe the Rocky statue in Philadelphia will be next because he won against two black men.

Everytime you talk to Gator, I may glance at what he wrote. Decided to read that linked story.

Ben, violence? Criminal act at worst, violence is against people, ok. This form of civil disobedience has been praised as much as it has been condemned. The Boston Tea Party, tearing no down King George's statue, John Brown, sitting in the wrong seat on the bus, and tearing down a stupid f'n wall in Berlin.

This is as much a reaction to violence as anything.

Ben, violence? Criminal act at worst, violence is against people, ok. This form of civil disobedience has been praised as much as it has been condemned. The Boston Tea Party, tearing no down King George's statue, John Brown, sitting in the wrong seat on the bus, and tearing down a stupid f'n wall in Berlin.

How do you pin a post to your signature?

Did you just...

A bunch of Neanderthals just pulled down a statue in Raleigh, NC, then spat and pissed on it, there's tolerance for you

They won the war. If my dead grandpa and his bros want to piss on nazi statues I could give a crap. Or my Irish ancestors who fought the confederacy. Winners write the history books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durham protesters topple Confederate statue outside courthouse

FTA:

As the crowd became more animated, several protesters approached the monument, climbing it and attaching a yellow nylon rope around it. The protesters then pulled until the soldier came crashing to the ground.

After the statue fell, many of the protesters kicked and stomped it.

Protesters then moved on to walk down to Roxboro Street at Main Street, where they blocked the intersection.

The protesters later marched to the site of the new Durham Police headquarters, which is under construction.

Durham Police remained close by but kept their distance from the protesters. ( :doh: )

The protest is now over but there is a police presence outside of the courthouse. (Barn/door/horse)

Edited by B-Man