Who Still Likes the Rex Hire

billsfan_34

I liked the Rex hiring. Not so happy about the numerous penalties or underwhelming defense. But I want to give him and Whaley at least one more season to make improvements. It won't take too much to improve the win total. This year, the Bills were competitive in almost every game. Much more than in previous seasons. Of course it is frustrating when they don't win the close ones, but like I said I think the are close.

Firing Rex will just reset the clock and we would have to start from scratch again.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the concept of linking Rex and Whaley. Whaley has done a good job. It seems the Pegulas became infatuated with Rex. Easy to see how it could happen. They're smart people and will give it enough time, and learn along the way.

"Well get ready, we're going..." Yeah right!!! 16 years now and still no playoffs!!

not a one year fix look up history of coaches in first year with new team. NOT going to the playoffs then throw in a first year starting qb and the injuries. This is where you don't fire the coach and bring in the next guy. See Cleveland Browns

I like rex

As in "he seems like a good guy and I'd love to have a beer with him", or "he's a proven leader of a successful and disciplined football team that wins against superior talent and he can get us a SB trophy"? I'm good with the first part. His win/loss record the last 5 or so years and our penalty history this year do not encourage me. He tries to trick rather than beat the opponent, despite the talent to dominate. All ego, no results (other than his giant contract, of course, but that doesn't help ME feel better). He is what he has shown us, I'm afraid.

There has to be some bigger issue here.

EVERYONE fails. It's truly incredible.

Every head coach. Every QB. Every system.

It's always the same results, no matter what.

You need an elite QB to win big in the NFL. No other way to slice it. And Tryhard Taylor is NOT the answer.

Its simple. Rex leaves the Jets and the Jets improve. Rex joins the Bills and the Bills get worse. It really is that simple. How many more years does Rex have on his contract? That is how many more years the Bills don't make the playoffs.

This!

It really is that simple! Bills fans that still like Rex Ryan as the Bills HC lose all credibility with me considering what he did to the #4 defense in the NFL that was #1 in sacks last year. That was #2 in sacks in 2013, and 10th in total defense under Mike Pettine. That even under horriable Bills DC Dave Wannstedt in 2012, and terribad BIlls DC George Edwards 2010-2011 the Bills defense was still better in sacks!

2010-Edwards DC 27th in sacks with No Mario, no Hughes, no Dareus, and just Kyle Williams

2011-Edwards DC 27th in sacks with no Mario, no Hughes, no Dareus, and just Kyle Williams

2012- Wannstedt DC 18th in sacks with Mario, Dareus, Kyle Willams, no Hughes

2013-Pettine DC 2nd in sacks with Mario, Dareus, Kyle, and Hughes

2014-Schwartz DC #1 in sacks with Mario, Dareus, Kyle, and Hughes

The Buffalo Bills are currently 30th in sacks with only 19.

The ramifications of what happens to a defense when they fail to apply pressure on the opposing QB are immense, and basically give that QB all day to throw. The Bills defense couldn't stop Sam Bradford, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Blake Bortles, Andy Dalton when it mattered most. Last season the Bills were a terror in rushing the passer, and teams were worried about their QB getting hit so much, and this year they can't apply pressure at all.

Ryan basically took three all pro's along with superb pass rusher Jerry Hughes, and neutered them with his gap control - drop back into pass coverage scheme.

You need an elite QB to win big in the NFL. No other way to slice it. And Tryhard Taylor is NOT the answer.

Well, please name a better QB we've had in the last 15 years. That doesn't mean he's a 15 year Franchise QB, but I'm glad he's on the team. Find a serious guy to play behind him (NOT EJ), and if he can beat him out all the better.

Rex's scheme isn't the problem.

The people who hired him either knowing he'd change it based on the talent he had are to blame. Unless he lied to them and told them he'd keep the system.

Either way.....I think it was all the Pegula's with an assist from Brandon. Bc we'd be in the national conversation again. 60,000 season tickets.

I'm done.

Hire Bevell like we should have last year.

I support Rex Ryan 100%. It takes time to implement Rex's defense. Ray Lewis said he didn't think any defensive players could adjust to it within the first year. As for the offense, it improved. Be patient. A constant revolving door of coaches and QBs will not do this team any good in the long run.

This.

At the time, I thought Rex was a good hire. He was easily the most visible candidate, but like many here and elsewhere, we saw the glitz. It wasn't until later that we found out (yes, we should have known from his time in NJ) that Rex is all talk and no ass. I've seen all I need to see from Rex, but it's pretty clear he isn't going anywhere. Woe is us. Next year will be 17 and counting.

I never did I thought and still think Roman as HC and Schwartz as DC was all this team needed

you don't get to pick and choose like that. doesn't work that way. If Roman was HC, he'd pick his own DC. Schwartz next move is HC, he is done as a DC. so your scenario is impossible. this isn't fantasy football

My position on this is one is one I take with a heavy heart. I am almost always an advocate for stability. I was willing to keep Doug Marrone this year even though I knew there were some glaring issues with his team because I value stability and consistency. I support a soccer club that has had the same Head Coach for nearly 20 years and even though he has his detractors I passionately believe he remains the right man.

Firing people left, right and centre doesn’t often lead to success in sports… you are far more likely to miss on the right guy by getting rid too quickly than by showing patience.

However, despite what my gut is telling me about stability – I cannot support continuing under the stewardship of Rex Ryan. I am not one of those fans who takes joy in being negative – anyone who has read my posts the 3 years I have been here will attest to that – I say this with no relish….. but Rex Ryan is the wrong man.

That was my instant reaction back in January – but having had my say I undertook to get on board and wait and see what the season brought. I had even convinced myself by the time the season began that this was going to work out. What I have seen since confirms all my worst fears:

• Indiscipline
  • Inconsistency
  • Players looking confused
  • Lack of in-game adjustments
  • Poor in-game management
  • The defense taking a step back (I thought they might take a step back to 10/12 in the league and that would leave us right on the brink of the post-season…. We are currently 20th in yards allowed)

Rex Ryan simply is not a good Head Football Coach. He was, in his prime, an outstanding Defensive Coordinator - but I look around the league and wonder if he would even be that anymore. The game constantly changes and develops and the 3-4 under with disguised blitz concepts looks as though it might have had its day to me. More and more teams are now running a 4-3 that relies on controlling the line of scrimmage, getting pressure right up the middle and discipline in the secondary. That is the approach that has made Seattle a great defense. It is what Schwartz did here last year and it just looks a better stylistic fit for our personnel. The best teams around the league are generally running a 4-3 and even Denver – who run a 3-4 – run a totally different variety of that defense to Rex.

If someone had said before the season that we were going to get league average play from our o-line and above league average play from Tyrod as well as 7 consecutive games of 100+ yards from scrimmage from Shady we would all have thought that meant a post-season berth. Whist Greg Roman has his faults he has done a pretty good job in the main with this offense - we are 14th in total yards and 13th in total points. The defense has let us down and the blame for that has to go on Rex’s shoulders.

And consider this – Rex Ryan might be one of the only men in history to have taken over a winning team in his first two head coaching spots. Both the Bills and the Jets were 9-7 the year before Rex arrived. When you then consider that halfway through year 7 he is 52-57 as a Head Coach it rather confirms the view that he is an over promoted coordinator.

I would normally say give Rex Ryan at least one more year…. Let’s see how it works with a second year in the system. But I cannot honestly hand on heart say I think that it will get better. I don’t. I think every year spent under Rex’s guidance will prove to be a year wasted and at a time when we had a team that was ready to go….

It is, I repeat, with a heavy heart….. that I ask humbly that the Pegulas fire Rex Ryan.

Whaley is doing a really good job. No question in my mind he should get an extension. If they let him go, I think it will be one of the worst decisions in the last 15 years

I am with you. If they fire Whaley to prop up Rex Ryan I promise you I will have a serious meltdown.

you don't get to pick and choose like that. doesn't work that way. If Roman was HC, he'd pick his own DC. Schwartz next move is HC, he is done as a DC. so your scenario is impossible. this isn't fantasy football

You could absolutely have forced Schwartz on Roman. We had a top 3 unit, Roman would be crazy to change DC's.

My position on this is one is one I take with a heavy heart. I am almost always an advocate for stability. I was willing to keep Doug Marrone this year even though I knew there were some glaring issues with his team because I value stability and consistency. I support a soccer club that has had the same Head Coach for nearly 20 years and even though he has his detractors I passionately believe he remains the right man.

Firing people left, right and centre doesn’t often lead to success in sports… you are far more likely to miss on the right guy by getting rid too quickly than by showing patience.

However, despite what my gut is telling me about stability – I cannot support continuing under the stewardship of Rex Ryan. I am not one of those fans who takes joy in being negative – anyone who has read my posts the 3 years I have been here will attest to that – I say this with no relish….. but Rex Ryan is the wrong man.

That was my instant reaction back in January – but having had my say I undertook to get on board and wait and see what the season brought. I had even convinced myself by the time the season began that this was going to work out. What I have seen since confirms all my worst fears:

• Indiscipline
  • Inconsistency
  • The defense taking a step back (I thought they might take a step back to 10/12 in the league and that would leave us right on the brink of the post-season…. We are currently 20th in yards allowed)

Rex Ryan simply is not a good Head Football Coach. He was, in his prime, an outstanding Defensive Coordinator - but I look around the league and wonder if he would even be that anymore. The game constantly changes and develops and the 3-4 under with disguised blitz concepts looks as though it might have had its day to me. More and more teams are now running a 4-3 that relies on controlling the line of scrimmage, getting pressure right up the middle and discipline in the secondary. That is the approach that has made Seattle a great defense. It is what Schwartz did here last year and it just looks a better stylistic fit for our personnel. The best teams around the league are generally running a 4-3 and even Denver – who run a 3-4 – run a totally different variety of that defense to Rex.

If someone had said before the season that we were going to get league average play from our o-line and above league average play from Tyrod as well as 7 consecutive games of 100+ yards from scrimmage from Shady we would all have thought that meant a post-season berth. Whist Greg Roman has his faults he has done a pretty good job in the main with this offense - we are 14th in total yards and 13th in total points. The defense has let us down and the blame for that has to go on Rex’s shoulders.

And consider this – Rex Ryan might be one of the only men in history to have taken over a winning team in his first two head coaching spots. Both the Bills and the Jets were 9-7 the year before Rex arrived. When you then consider that halfway through year 7 he is 52-57 as a Head Coach it rather confirms the view that he is an over promoted coordinator.

I would normally say give Rex Ryan at least one more year…. Let’s see how it works with a second year in the system. But I cannot honestly hand on heart say I think that it will get better. I don’t. I think every year spent under Rex’s guidance will prove to be a year wasted and at a time when we had a team that was ready to go….

It is, I repeat, with a heavy heart….. that I ask humbly that the Pegulas fire Rex Ryan.

I am with you. If they fire Whaley to prop up Rex Ryan I promise you I will have a serious meltdown.

Gunner Bill, i couldn't agree with you more. Well written, and spot on. I wanted it to work with Rex, but it is not. Whaley is not the problem, Rex is the problem. I've stated before it won't happen as the Pegulas are in for $27.5 mil, so there is no way they fire him, but the should.

Firing Whaley would be catastrophic.

Tough to root for your team when you can't stand the head coach. This is now two straight hires that have made my skin crawl.

Statistically he is in the top 8 - 12 teams make it to the playoffs. Just something to ponder.

Firing people left, right and centre doesnt often lead to success in sports you are far more likely to miss on the right guy by getting rid too quickly than by showing patience.

However, despite what my gut is telling me about stability I cannot support continuing under the stewardship of Rex Ryan. I am not one of those fans who takes joy in being negative anyone who has read my posts the 3 years I have been here will attest to that I say this with no relish.. but Rex Ryan is the wrong man.

That was my instant reaction back in January but having had my say I undertook to get on board and wait and see what the season brought. I had even convinced myself by the time the season began that this was going to work out. What I have seen since confirms all my worst fears:

• Indiscipline
  • Inconsistency
  • The defense taking a step back (I thought they might take a step back to 10/12 in the league and that would leave us right on the brink of the post-season. We are currently 20th in yards allowed)
Rex Ryan simply is not a good Head Football Coach. He was, in his prime, an outstanding Defensive Coordinator - but I look around the league and wonder if he would even be that anymore. The game constantly changes and develops and the 3-4 under with disguised blitz concepts looks as though it might have had its day to me. More and more teams are now running a 4-3 that relies on controlling the line of scrimmage, getting pressure right up the middle and discipline in the secondary. That is the approach that has made Seattle a great defense. It is what Schwartz did here last year and it just looks a better stylistic fit for our personnel. The best teams around the league are generally running a 4-3 and even Denver who run a 3-4 run a totally different variety of that defense to Rex.

If someone had said before the season that we were going to get league average play from our o-line and above league average play from Tyrod as well as 7 consecutive games of 100+ yards from scrimmage from Shady we would all have thought that meant a post-season berth. Whist Greg Roman has his faults he has done a pretty good job in the main with this offense - we are 14th in total yards and 13th in total points. The defense has let us down and the blame for that has to go on Rexs shoulders.

And consider this Rex Ryan might be one of the only men in history to have taken over a winning team in his first two head coaching spots. Both the Bills and the Jets were 9-7 the year before Rex arrived. When you then consider that halfway through year 7 he is 52-57 as a Head Coach it rather confirms the view that he is an over promoted coordinator.

I would normally say give Rex Ryan at least one more year. Lets see how it works with a second year in the system. But I cannot honestly hand on heart say I think that it will get better. I dont. I think every year spent under Rexs guidance will prove to be a year wasted and at a time when we had a team that was ready to go.

It is, I repeat, with a heavy heart.. that I ask humbly that the Pegulas fire Rex Ryan.

Very well written and spot on. All the things you have written I have thought in my head from the outdated defensive scheme to the grose undisciplined issues etc etc. I have a feeling the Ryans will be out of football completely in the near future.

A quick rant- we have playoffs on the line and Rex decides to have his brother who was just fired on our practice field in Bills gear? A time when we need ultimate focus he opts for more circus show.

Me.

Players make plays.

This is moronic. The same players that led the league in sacks last year are dead last this year. The same players that held penalties to a reasonable level are now completely out of control. Bradham and Dareus and Mario looked great in Schwartz's system and now they can't play anymore. Yet you're all on the Rex bandwagon.

"Players make plays." :wallbash:

Edited by Dr. K

• Indiscipline
  • Inconsistency

From first word to the last, this has exactly been my opinion of Ryan. I, also, hated the hire but was willing to wait and see--I've been wrong lots of time and everybody seemed to think he was the man for the job. But everything we've seen bears out your reading of the team.

Likewise, I think firing Whaley would be a huge mistake. But given the Pegulas were clearly the ones most enamored of Rex, I think it's more likely they will dump him than Rex, and we will really be in the crapper. Whaley is going to GM a Super Bowl team in his career. Rex will never coach one.

This season was a waste to me.

If Ryan had any idea that the guys currently on the defense weren't right for his scheme, they should have traded some of them, or at least not given out big new contracts. Why give big money to Dareus or Jerry Hughes? Why not bring in players that would fit?

So NOW they will bring in guys to fit the Ryan Scheme, and we go through more of the "learning process", and then maybe by season 3, the defense is pretty good, but by then other guys have gone into decline (LeSean McCoy comes to mind).

If Ryan had any idea that the guys currently on the defense weren't right for his scheme, they should have traded some of them, or at least not given out big new contracts. Why give big money to Dareus or Jerry Hughes? Why not bring in players that would fit?

So NOW they will bring in guys to fit the Ryan Scheme, and we go through more of the "learning process", and then maybe by season 3, the defense is pretty good, but by then other guys have gone into decline (LeSean McCoy comes to mind).

Hughes has shown he fits the scheme with his improved coverage skills...he's a true hybrid de/olb now. Dareus fits any scheme. Mario doesn't, and I think he and the team know it ...don't expect him back. Meatball will be back for the right price and like Dareus fits any scheme. Agree on McCoy...fun guy to watch, but overpaid based on needs and timing. Edited by JTSP

Hughes has shown he fits the scheme with his improved coverage skills...he's a true hybrid de/olb now. Dareus fits any scheme. Mario doesn't, and I think he and the team know it ...don't expect him back. Meatball will be back for the right price and like Dareus fits any scheme. Agree on McCoy...fun guy to watch, but overpaid based on needs and timing.

Sure Hughes and Dareus can fit in any scheme, but do they fit this one so well that both should be signed to big contracts? Is a guy like Dareus needed, or is he going to waste? It seems like good LB's and having a real NT are key to Ryan's front 7.

Other than Tyrod getting experience, I don't know what was accomplished this season.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Sure Hughes and Dareus can fit in any scheme, but do they fit this one so well that both should be signed to big contracts? Is a guy like Dareus needed, or is he going to waste? It seems like good LB's and having a real NT are key to Ryan's front 7.

Other than Tyrod getting experience, I don't know what was accomplished this season.

I agree - and if it comes to a choice between Dareus and Hughes on their contracts or Rex freaking Ryan then it has to be motormouth who is sent down the road.

Tyrod getting experience is the major positive and for me these last 3 games I am turning the offense over to him much more. Let him try calling some of his own plays in the huddle, give him more control at the line and really try and focus on calling some middle of the field stuff and some intermediate stuff to bring him on in those areas. Let's test Tyrod and see as much as we can. If throws some picks - who cares? We know what Shady is he has shown that the past 7 weeks, he is a stud we won't learn anything running Shady a bucket load the next 3 games. Rest his legs a bit and let Tyrod throw.

We know what Shady is he has shown that the past 7 weeks, he is a stud we won't learn anything running Shady a bucket load the next 3 games. Rest his legs a bit and let Tyrod throw.

I respectfully disagree. McCoy need to earn his millions of dollars. He needs to rest his narcissistic mouth, not his legs.

I respectfully disagree. McCoy need to earn his millions of dollars. He needs to rest his narcissistic mouth, not his legs.

I am more interested in using these 3 games for something though rather than running Shady to teach him some humility... that isn't going to happen.

• Indiscipline
  • Inconsistency

It is, I repeat, with a heavy heart….. that I ask humbly that the Pegula's fire Rex Ryan.

Well written, and very well said! I couldn't agree more!

When you see a man come into a team with as much head coaching experience as Rex Ryan has there are no excuses for failure. Ryan was handed a great defense and for whatever reason he decided to ruin it this year. If it was just the defense, but its not! Its the penalties! Its the poor game management at times! Its the poor red flag management at times. Its the big mouth motivating opposing teams. Its the team looking sloppy, and unprepared at times.

All I know is I'm hoping these new owners don't stay with Ryan, and give him free reign to retool, rebuild the defense to fit his scheme which could take another three to five years. Then still be a loser only with different players. Enough of these losers! Do what the NY Jets did after they fired Ryan, and hire some experienced consultants in Ron Wolf, Charlie Casserly. Those two picked the new GM, HC and went from 4-12 under Ryan to now 8-5 with the #5 defense in the NFL. Meanwhile the Buffalo Bills are 20th in total defense, 22 in passing, and 30th in sacks!

First in sacks the NFL last year to 30th this year under Ryan :bag:

The great coaches adjust/tweak their scheme that their players can execute much of the time.