Who Still Likes the Rex Hire

billsfan_34

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a great coach, but they have lots of talent where it matters most. But a coach of his caliber isn't and wasn't available . So then what? The Bills have lots of players that are overrated and commit lots of penalties because they get beat.

Hue Jackson and Jim Schwartz were better hires

@MarkCannizzaro

15 more penalties for #Bills today and Rex headed for a 5th consecutive year out of playoffs. About that honeymoon period in Buffalo ...

Some people cannot seem to understand when you lead the league in penalties it directly correlates to poor coaching. Poor technique, lack of focus, no discipline etc and it spells doom in a league of parity. Gotta love the taunting and 3 neutral zone infractions.

He's a great coach, but they have lots of talent where it matters most. But a coach of his caliber isn't and wasn't available . So then what? The Bills have lots of players that are overrated and commit lots of penalties because they get beat.

Taunting, personal fouls, neutral zone infractions, numerous blocks in the back on special teams isnt a "getting beat" issue. These have been common unnecessary penalties all year.

Some people cannot seem to understand when you lead the league in penalties it directly correlates to poor coaching. Poor technique, lack of focus, no discipline etc and it spells doom in a league of parity. Gotta love the taunting and 3 neutral zone infractions.

I blame the players because they are the ones committing them. Neither Jackson or Schwartz were hired as a HC after last season by any other team. Also, if the Bills had hired them it's likely they don't have Tyrod Taylor. So who would be the bills QB now? Matt Cassel? EJ? Who?

I blame the players because they are the ones committing them. Neither Jackson or Schwartz were hired as a HC after last season by any other team. Also, if the Bills had hired them it's likely they don't have Tyrod Taylor. So who would be the bills QB now? Matt Cassel? EJ? Who?

Honest answer to and honest question- have you ever played football at least at the high school level?

Taunting, personal fouls, neutral zone infractions, numerous blocks in the back on special teams isnt a "getting beat" issue. These have been common unnecessary penalties all year.

Do you watch other games? Seems every kick/ punt has a flag these days. No , procedure, PF, block in back are just dumb. Every teams coach preaches against those. Some guys are just more dumb than others.

Do you watch other games? Seems every kick/ punt has a flag these days. No , procedure, PF, block in back are just dumb. Every teams coach preaches against those. Some guys are just more dumb than others.

I do actually- lots of them. We are leading the league in penalties for a reason.

Honest answer to and honest question- have you ever played football at least at the high school level?

Yes I have. And this isn't high school ball. Players on every team are told not to commit dumb penalties. What else can you do? You're stuck with the guys you have until next season at this point. We are not present at Bills practices, but it's self explanatory that no coach tells guys to commit dumb infractions. If you have to hold to save your QBs back, or prevent a sure TD so be it. But don't jump in the neutral zone.

I do actually- lots of them. We are leading the league in penalties for a reason.

Yep, because a lot of players are committing infractions. Most will get called every time.

When we were looking for a new HC, my favorites were Hue Jackson and Rex. I wasn't a fan of anyone else we interviewed. I figured with Rex we can maintain the defense and would have a legit shot at the playoffs if we hired the right OC. As of right now, I'm over Rex. The guy is a fraud HC. I now wish we went with Hue.

The worst part is that all of this was so predictable. Anyone who couldn't see this coming was delusional. Rex is exactly what the Jets said he was. What everyone said he was.

We hired someone who the longer he coached in NY the worse the team got. The concept of "due diligence" isn't too difficult to comprehend. Most often you get what you deserve!

At some point, the flashy moves to allay fan discontent should fool only the "don't worry, be happy" crowd. Problem is, this crowd must be huge given the record season ticket sales this year. The list is long: Bledsoe, McGahee, T.O., Mario, Rex.... Every few years another Messiah rolls into town.

Congratulations, Russ 'P.T. Barnum' Brandon. Job well done. Your marketing machine has once again led the gullible lemmings over the cliff only to be resurrected next year in the 17th consecutive edition of Groundhog Day. Record season ticket sales while the product remains utterly poor....you are amazing, sir. Hence, your promotion to take on the Sabres, as well.

I'll admit that I was all for the hire and I liked the Roman hire as well. Wasn't sure about the effect on the D when they let Schwartz go. I was completely wrong. Rex and Roman have been overmatched on numerous occasions this year and Schwartz' D was way better than Ryan's scheme. Frustrating to say the least. This year's team has enough talent to be a playoff team, but they have been poorly coached.

Yes I have. And this isn't high school ball. Players on every team are told not to commit dumb penalties. What else can you do? You're stuck with the guys you have until next season at this point. We are not present at Bills practices, but it's self explanatory that no coach tells guys to commit dumb infractions. If you have to hold to save your QBs back, or prevent a sure TD so be it. But don't jump in the neutral zone.

Yep, because a lot of players are committing infractions. Most will get called every time.

Thats right they are - all under Rex's tuteledge. The trick in this league is to minimize them.

Exactly. Exactly.

A penalty that might fit the description of "overrated player gets beat" would be holding, when an OLman gets beat and is just trying to keep his QB from getting killed for it. Or a DB who is beat and knows it so he grabs him a double fistful of jersey and hangs on or shoves hard downfield.

Neutral zone infractions, personal fouls, and taunting are just stupid undisciplined play.

Mario Williams dropping into coverage makes other teams QBs smile and me puke.

Exactly. Exactly.

A penalty that might fit the description of "overrated player gets beat" would be holding, when an OLman gets beat and is just trying to keep his QB from getting killed for it. Or a DB who is beat and knows it so he grabs him a double fistful of jersey and hangs on or shoves hard downfield.

Neutral zone infractions, personal fouls, and taunting are just stupid undisciplined play.

Mario Williams dropping into coverage makes other teams QBs smile and me puke.

Ah someone gets it

I hold Rex responsible for the lack of discipline. But the scheme change was what it was. You hire Rex Ryan and he is going to run his defense.

So we added all these weapons but lost

Mario, Dareus, and Kyle Williams. None of these players look good in the Rex scheme but you can't ask Rex to coach something he doesn't want to coach.

Only good news is that Mario and Kyle were on their way out anyway so no point in demanding a 4-3 scheme next year. Move Dareus to DE, get a NT. Get another inside linebacker with size and speed. Draft a safety early.

This is exactly why I thought the hire of Rex was idiotic. Plus, he's a blowhard and terrible game manager.

It's the same idiocy that happened when the Bills hired Gregg Williams after firing Wade Phillips.

At some point, the flashy moves to allay fan discontent should fool only the "don't worry, be happy" crowd. Problem is, this crowd must be huge given the record season ticket sales this year. The list is long: Bledsoe, McGahee, T.O., Mario, Rex.... Every few years another Messiah rolls into town.

Congratulations, Russ 'P.T. Barnum' Brandon. Job well done. Your marketing machine has once again led the gullible lemmings over the cliff only to be resurrected next year in the 17th consecutive edition of Groundhog Day. Record season ticket sales while the product remains utterly poor....you are amazing, sir. Hence, your promotion to take on the Sabres, as well.

Could it have been a collective show of support and relief from constantly worrying about the future of the team in Buffalo? That awakened the inner fan in folks who had become unwilling to get emotionally and financially invested in a team that looked destined to leave? Even casual NFL fans knew the team still lacked a proven QB ( and still does) and that Brady and Belichick still resided in the AFC East. So I have a hard time believing THAT many fans were so blindly optimistic faced with that reality. Some , perhaps . But it seemed more a celebration that the Bills belonged to Buffalo for good. After week 17 last year, most Bills fans weren't even expecting a change at HC. The offseason moves were interesting , but obviously not enough to catapult this roster into contention.

Thats right they are - all under Rex's tuteledge. The trick in this league is to minimize them.

Right. That's on the players. It's not " rocket surgery" . Don't commit pre snap and generally dumb penalties. They know this. Some guys just don't play smart and you have to weed them out. Many of them were here before and had a rep for penalties already. I mean, how often is Mario Williams flagged? Is he being coached " better" than Jerry Hughes?