The good and bad of Chris Hogan

Kelly the Dog

First of all congrats on a pretty good game.

But his problems as a WR still rear their ugly head. He has GOT to pick up the first down when he has the first down. He blew it, which led to the bad call on third and inches. You just can't do it.

Another time he didn't fight for an extra yard and went out of bounds easily after a 9 yard catch.

One play that bothered me, however, and something he always does that is not good, is on the 31 yard catch he made. He is wide open. The ball is there. But instead of catching it on the run, he slows down, turns sideways and jumps to catch it above his head, and then comes down and is immediately tackled. Most WR and all good ones pick up the trajectory, keep running, catch it without jumping and then try to avoid the tackle. It's possible that he could have even cut to the middle of the field and broke the tackle of the hard closing DB if he had just caught it on the run.

I just watched it a dozen times. It's arguable that the pass was one yard short. But even if it was he still could have and would have caught it on the run with his hands without jumping and had a split second to put a move on the DB. He almost always stops and jumps to try to make a catch like that rather than just running and catching it and getting as many yards as he can. It's bothersome.

Again, he did have a good game. But his awareness is still a glaring problem.

But his problems as a WR still rear their ugly head. He has GOT to pick up the first down when he has the first down. He blew it, which led to the bad call on third and inches. You just can't do it.

Another time he didn't fight for an extra yard and went out of bounds easily after a 9 yard catch.

One play that bothered me, however, and something he always does that is not good, is on the 31 yard catch he made. He is wide open. The ball is there. But instead of catching it on the run, he slows down, turns sideways and jumps to catch it above his head, and then comes down and is immediately tackled. Most WR and all good ones pick up the trajectory, keep running, catch it without jumping and then try to avoid the tackle. It's possible that he could have even cut to the middle of the field and broke the tackle of the hard closing DB if he had just caught it on the run.

I just watched it a dozen times. It's arguable that the pass was one yard short. But even if it was he still could have and would have caught it on the run with his hands without jumping and had a split second to put a move on the DB. He almost always stops and jumps to try to make a catch like that rather than just running and catching it and getting as many yards as he can. It's bothersome.

My exact thoughts as the play happened. Better situational awareness was needed in that instance.

Hogan has improved over the years and is mostly reliable. He never gives the game away with one horrible play, but his small mistakes add up to take their toll. I like him on our roster, though, I think he'll keep working hard to get better.

With the attitude of many WRs coming out of college, his is a nice breath of fresh air. Keep him around - at least he puts in the work.

He's a depth guy forced to learn all the roles on the offense (Z,Y, Slot), and play special teams.

He's also pretty big - which is good for a running team.

Good post. He's a willing blocker. And good to have on your team. But as a #4 IMO.

It's not his fault at all, but it continues to disgust me that under the Hackett and Roman regimes he seems to get almost as many targets as Sammy. As far as I'm concerned that's the only bad with Hogan. I think Hogan could do really good things if we got the ball to our real playmakers more often. This would open up things for our number 2 and 3 receivers, instead of them being used more like number 1's.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The good:

A fine athlete, a hard worker and seemingly one of the good guys.

The bad:

His feel for this game is virtually non-existent. He might be the least instinctive receiver I have ever seen a ballfield.

If Corey Graham makes a tackle on 3rd down after Mario Williams chips the RB releasing into the flat, McKelvin doesn't fumble and Carpenter hits a field goal we win 16-13. Thanks in large part to Hogan's 5 grabs for 90 yards.

Where is the crusade against these 4 higher level players?

If Corey Graham makes a tackle on 3rd down after Mario Williams chips the RB releasing into the flat, McKelvin doesn't fumble and Carpenter hits a field goal we win 16-13. Thanks in large part to Hogan's 5 grabs for 90 yards.

Where is the crusade against these 4 higher level players?

One thread where I start out saying "First of all congrats on a pretty good game" and ended on "Again, he had a good game..." is a crusade? ;)

One thread where I start out saying "First of all congrats on a pretty good game" and ended on "Again, he had a good game..." is a crusade? ;)

Right but with that "Mario is awesome" thread going, I see how critiquing some of the finer points of hogans game is blistering harsh

Then why even post this? The guy is a 3rd option and eclipses 90 yards? The critique of what he did on the 31 catch is invalid. He made the catch, period. I've watched the play 10 times he wouldn't have broke free, if anything going airborne saved him from getting clipped in the knees which saved him from injury.

Then why even post this? The guy is a 3rd option and eclipses 90 yards? The critique of what he did on the 31 catch is invalid. He made the catch, period. I've watched the play 10 times he wouldn't have broke free, if anything going airborne saved him from getting clipped in the knees which saved him from injury.

He saying its a consistent move he makes that is regularly unneeded. Which is true, frankly. It's no big deal to discuss faults guys have even after a decent game

It's something he does a lot. Not getting the first down when he can is something he does a very lot and it hurt us bad in this game. It's an elementary thing any decent WR does.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It's something he does a lot. Not getting the first down when he can is something he does a very lot and it hurt us bad in this game. It's an elementary thing any decent WR does.

31 yards was not a first down? If you are referring to another play wasn't that based on the official determining where forward progress had stopped?

I'll add that for whatever reason, at the end of the 1st half when we were driving, he kept trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock when there was just under 2 minutes left. It was driving me nuts because we still had our time outs and plenty of time. I wanted that clock to keep running because you don't want to leave time for Brady. Of course the Bills leave 47 seconds and Pats drive for a TD.

31 yards was not a first down? If you are referring to another play wasn't that based on the official determining where forward progress had stopped?

No, stopping when running and jumping to catch the ball where he doesn't get any yards for the catch is something he does quite often. It's a bad habit and just wrong. Not getting the first down when he has a good chance at it because he is unaware of the first down marker is something he does all the time. This game he HAD the first down already then went backwards and got tackled. That was the play that preceded the dumb third and inches call and we have to give up the ball. If he just knows where the first down marker we don't even have third and inches.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

No, stopping when running and jumping to catch the ball where he doesn't get any yards for the catch is something he does quite often. It's a bad habit and just wrong. Not getting the first down when he has a good chance at it because he is unaware of the first down marker is something he does all the time. This game he HAD the first down already then went backwards and got tackled. That was the play that preceded the dumb third and inches call and we have to give up the ball. If he just knows where the first down marker we don't even have third and inches.

Woods had a ball stripped out fighting for extra yards earlier this year. Again one has to wonder if the coaching is asking them to do more after the catch or if they are told to go down.

Woods had a ball stripped out fighting for extra yards earlier this year. Again one has to wonder if the coaching is asking them to do more after the catch or if they are told to go down.

Did you watch the game? Woods fought like a deranged rhino to get the first down three different times and got it twice. The only time he didn't it took two guys and he was still fighting when the whistle blew.

And that's the rub, if he had simply gone down on that one catch, he likely would have fallen into the first down. There was no need to run sideways.

Everyone went nuts over his special teams play last year. He finished the season with no tackles and one assist the entire season. This year he is way better and has three tackles.

So he has good speed, is tall, and can jump for the ball over shorter fellas (has good ball skills)? Maybe he is ready for a try at CB after all.

The Hogan haters are back I see. Listen, of course he had to get the 1st down on that play which led to the 3rd and inches..... but Robert Woods has also been guilty of that this year on more than one occasion I didn't see a thread to follow hating on him for it.

The guy is a good football player he is solid depth on this team and when his number is called he steps up time and again and makes plays. He has improved every season and he is reliable. And that is just talking about him as a receiver. He is a very capable blocker on the outside when needed - which is important in Roman's scheme and he plays special teams effectively.

I predicted pre-season he would have more yards than the TSW darlings Goodwin and Harvin and here he is. And there they are..... on IR..... again.

Do I want to see the team throwing the ball at Sammy more? Of course. But when Hogan has a favourable matchup - and he had Chung beaten on pretty much every play then I am all in favour of throwing him the football.

In the list of people who might have cost us on Monday night Hogan is just about bottom of the list. But he is easy to hate on because he isn't a big name with a big salary or a big draft pick attached to him.

EDIT: And of course some people entrenched themselves in the D'Rick v Hogan debate 3 years ago and refusing steadfastly to be moved he is "just a guy" and "dime a dozen".... because they said it then and they can't hold their hands up and admit that they got it wrong.

Edited by GunnerBill

Chris " nine yards" Hogan.

The Hogan haters are back I see. Listen, of course he had to get the 1st down on that play which led to the 3rd and inches..... but Robert Woods has also been guilty of that this year on more than one occasion I didn't see a thread to follow hating on him for it.

The guy is a good football player he is solid depth on this team and when his number is called he steps up time and again and makes plays. He has improved every season and he is reliable. And that is just talking about him as a receiver. He is a very capable blocker on the outside when needed - which is important in Roman's scheme and he plays special teams effectively.

I predicted pre-season he would have more yards than the TSW darlings Goodwin and Harvin and here he is. And there they are..... on IR..... again.

Do I want to see the team throwing the ball at Sammy more? Of course. But when Hogan has a favourable matchup - and he had Chung beaten on pretty much every play then I am all in favour of throwing him the football.

In the list of people who might have cost us on Monday night Hogan is just about bottom of the list. But he is easy to hate on because he isn't a big name with a big salary or a big draft pick attached to him.

EDIT: And of course some people entrenched themselves in the D'Rick v Hogan debate 3 years ago and refusing steadfastly to be moved he is "just a guy" and "dime a dozen".... because they said it then and they can't hold their hands up and admit that they got it wrong.

woods rarely comes up short for the first when he's guaranteed to have it. Hogan has it then makes sure he doesn't get it. I don't have the exact number of times he goes 9 yards for the first but I'd guess it was over half of his receptions.

Did you watch the game? Woods fought like a deranged rhino to get the first down three different times and got it twice. The only time he didn't it took two guys and he was still fighting when the whistle blew.

This.

they must be telling Hogan the same thing as the previous coaching staff because he didn't like getting first downs last year either.

Chris " nine yards" Hogan.

woods rarely comes up short for the first when he's guaranteed to have it. Hogan has it then makes sure he doesn't get it. I don't have the exact number of times he goes 9 yards for the first but I'd guess it was over half of his receptions.

This.

they must be telling Hogan the same thing as the previous coaching staff because he didn't like getting first downs last year either.

Keep on hating. He should have got the first down on that play. No disputing that. But Woods HAS been guilty of the same this year - it is just this board loves to hate on Hogan.

On the play with less than 2 minutes to go in the first half where he goes out of bounds, him not getting the first wasn't the issue there (although he should have); it was him NOT STAYING IN BOUNDS! I was yelling at the tv for him to stay in because plays like that meant that the Pats would get another chance to move the ball down the field. Which they did. Poor clock management. It may sound strange, but if you have your TOs and are in the opponent's territory with roughly 2 minutes to go, you've gotta be aware enough to kow that you should be milking the clock and not working to save time.

He had a good game overall though, and he's a good player. I'm glad he's on the Bills.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'll add that for whatever reason, at the end of the 1st half when we were driving, he kept trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock when there was just under 2 minutes left. It was driving me nuts because we still had our time outs and plenty of time. I wanted that clock to keep running because you don't want to leave time for Brady. Of course the Bills leave 47 seconds and Pats drive for a TD.

this too. His awareness is beyond terrible

Yes!

this too. His awareness is beyond terrible

He's not perfect, but he's a pretty good player who gets open and runs good routes. He's the least of the Bills' problems on offense.

Keep on hating. He should have got the first down on that play. No disputing that. But Woods HAS been guilty of the same this year - it is just this board loves to hate on Hogan.

when woods does it consistently I'll complain. Hogan does it on almost every play were he catches the ball near the marker(a majority of his catches). He is a very below average receiver that only gets catches because he's so bad the defense doesn't bother to cover him. I don't understand how people can defend him and think he will get better. He's been a yard short his entire career.

Nit picking guys. He is a refreshing surprise and a reliable 3WR. Two words Special Teams!!!!

Totally agree! TT didn't have his best accurate night with the football. That one "TD" toss to Shady early in the game had too much arc to it or he threw it too late. It should've been a TD. It's not just about the WR's not making adjustments.