Tyrod Taylor, No Mistakes

Meatplow

The 1 glaring mistake for Tyrod last night was taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away in the goal to go situation. That kind of fundamental mistake cannot be made there.

Agreed. And that's one thing that isn't clicking in TT's head at game speed -- the idea that when you're out of the pocket you can just throw it away and save precious yards.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That may or may not be the case. But it SURE would have been nice to have some semblance of a passing game last night, would have made things a lot less stressful.

TT wasn't very good throwing although one could argue that the first play of the game could have been an 80 yard TD if Watkins tracks the ball correctly. He also dropped another and maybe a third which could have been a TD.

I agree on the first interception but the second one to end the game was all Fitz

It was a desperation throw so I'll cut him some slack there. The Decker TD into triple coverage was one too. A better example was the Lawson drop that would have been a pick 6. Edited by PromoTheRobot

That may or may not be the case. But it SURE would have been nice to have some semblance of a passing game last night, would have made things a lot less stressful.

Less stressful? But that's the Wikipedia definition of the Buffalo Bills: Stress-inducing franchise that makes you happy and then makes you break things.

Would I "sing high praises for a game manager?" For a game manager who, 4 days after the previous game, takes his team, away, to a divisional rival, with a winning record, and brings us back a big "W", I'd take the biggest megaphone I could find to the top of Buffalo City Hall and yell his name for all WNY to hear. Apparently a great game it was not (I didn't see it as kick-off was 1.30 in the morning here in the UK) but I'll take the result any day.

No, he made plenty of mistakes. What he didn't make was turnovers.

Good on him though for Trent Dilfering up a win.

He needs to buy everyone on his defense a nice Christmas present. They gave him one today. He was good enough not to regift it.

Guess maybe I should have been better with the wording of the title and called it no "Costly" mistakes. He also had some critical first down throws and scrambles.

He was VERY fortunate to have Shady on his side. If he hadn't we'd all be talking about how dismal a performance it really was.

Has it come to this? Do we sing high praises for a game manager?

Pre season that's all we wanted. He's developing as a qb.

biggest problem for him last night? get the play and get to the line so you can get your adjustments done! way too many hurried snaps with the play clock running down, didn't have time to get everything set and took at least one delay of game, burned a timeout or two, and i'm sure there were a couple snaps with 0 seconds on the play clock not called. simms even mentioned it at one point. brady is all over this, he gets to the line as early as he can so he can have more time for adjustments once he sees what the defense has given him. taylor needs to pull his finger out and get them set earlier.

Everyone knows that I am a big Tyrod fan. I thought that yesterday was one of the worst games that he has played this year. He struggled throwing the ball and couldn't get it going on the ground. With that being said he once again took care of the football!! That is so important and underrated. He usually makes some big plays and maybe if Watkins jumped a half-second later we are praising Tyrod's performance again. I really believe that he is going to be the guy. I love his football instincts. He has a really good feel for the game.

biggest problem for him last night? get the play and get to the line so you can get your adjustments done! way too many hurried snaps with the play clock running down, didn't have time to get everything set and took at least one delay of game, burned a timeout or two, and i'm sure there were a couple snaps with 0 seconds on the play clock not called. simms even mentioned it at one point. brady is all over this, he gets to the line as early as he can so he can have more time for adjustments once he sees what the defense has given him. taylor needs to pull his finger out and get them set earlier.

Agreed. Huge problem. I'd love to know how much of this is Roman and how much is Tyrod. I'm thinking it's Roman not getting the plays in quick enough but I don't know. Could be both to blame equally but it's an issue.

The 1 glaring mistake for Tyrod last night was taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away in the goal to go situation. That kind of fundamental mistake cannot be made there.

I think he thought he had the guy beat. He slipped, if he doesn't he goes in.

Everyone knows that I am a big Tyrod fan. I thought that yesterday was one of the worst games that he has played this year. He struggled throwing the ball and couldn't get it going on the ground. With that being said he once again took care of the football!! That is so important and underrated. He usually makes some big plays and maybe if Watkins jumped a half-second later we are praising Tyrod's performance again. I really believe that he is going to be the guy. I love his football instincts. He has a really good feel for the game.

That first pass was played surprisingly bad by Watkins. Totally mis-timed. So uncharacteristic. He had a sub-par game as well.

Not his best game overall.

-taking a sack for 7 yard loss in the red zone seemed to be the largest mental blunder he made

-I thought he made the wrong decision on several accounts to either hand off the ball or keep it and run. Some of this was playcalling, some you just have to credit the jets.

In the end I think he played alright considering what his team helped him out with and how the Jets D played. Jets are a tough opponent, when they overwhelmed our O-line, I can't realistically expect TT to be a superhero.

Glad we wont this game!

Agreed. Huge problem. I'd love to know how much of this is Roman and how much is Tyrod. I'm thinking it's Roman not getting the plays in quick enough but I don't know. Could be both to blame equally but it's an issue.

We're seeing multiple instances of Tyrod badgering Roman to get the call in so he can take it into the huddle. With those two backs and that defense, I know the Bills want to shorten the game, but there is a point of diminishing returns and they took a running leap beyond it last night.

The upside of Roman being so "measured" is that it works effectively toward keeping a green QB very calm and in control. But when it starts having a deleterious effect on real-time game conditions, I think it's definitely time to re-evaluate how you're doing things.

Personally I wish the guy would just write three different scripts and utilize two of them after the half.

TT wasn't very good throwing although one could argue that the first play of the game could have been an 80 yard TD if Watkins tracks the ball correctly. He also dropped another and maybe a third which could have been a TD.

It was a very bizarre game plan by Roman too. I thought that Gailey screwed the pooch to help us, but Roman's play designs weren't doing TT many favors. There were a LOT of designed long passing plays in the face of a fierce pass rush and an insane wind. Jets DBs also had good coverage most of the game and TT rarely had a clearly open receiver.

Tyrod is a work in progress. He's certainly not the god that some fans want to make him. He has struggled mightily in atleast 3 games. He will need to improve his ability to stand in the pocket, read a defense and deliver the ball when there is pressure. But I think that will come with experience. He will need to depend less on his running ability and more on reading a defense and throwing the ball. Too many plays last night were wasted because he panicked and just tried to run. He will need to improve. I think he can improve. Keep in mind that was a great defense he faced last night. I also think Roman needs to improve on play calling to help him out. For instance, we come out of the 2 minute warning with a 2nd and 1. Roman decides to call 2 consecutive run plays out of shotgun formation and both get stuffed. Why not put Tyrod under center and pound the ball up the middle from there instead of from 5 yards back?

He was VERY fortunate to have Shady on his side. If he hadn't we'd all be talking about how dismal a performance it really was.

Has it come to this? Do we sing high praises for a game manager?

5th best quarterback rating in the league.

BEST completion percentage in the league.

Did Tyrod kick your dog or something? This crusade is a strong one man.

I know stats aren't everything but I'm certain if they were bad you'd be posting them constantly.

After rewatching the game, there were a lot of plays left to be made in the passing game. Most notably on blitzes, he missed guys in the vacated zones.

This was my issue with him early in the game. When the D sends 6 and 7 they are going to get to the QB. The OL can't protect him from that for long. He has to make a quick read and get rid of the ball to his hot read. Instead he held the ball too long or looked to run.

It's cause for concern moving on but overall his performance wasn't bad as he did protect the ball.

He made a monumental mistake when he took a 7 yard sack near the Jets' goal line when he ran OOB instead of throwing it away.

wasn't monumental, but it was a big mistake. But I think it was a bigger mistake with the play call, the Jets were containing TT all day, he had no room to run...

5th best quarterback rating in the league.

BEST completion percentage in the league.

Did Tyrod kick your dog or something? This crusade is a strong one man.

I know stats aren't everything but I'm certain if they were bad you'd be posting them constantly.

In the NFL today you need more than "no mistakes." You can't go an entire quarter without a first down. You can't count on 17/27 for 150 some yards from the QB. I guess I'm just not one to pin my hopes on a guy who's not a "hey, get on my shoulders and ride to victory" type.

That Jets D-line is tough and our O-line couldn't handle them. Our guys used be like that. What happened?

The OL did a good job overall. There was a patch in the third quarter where they struggled but overall they opened gaps in the run game and protected TT. TT has to learn to get the ball out of his hands when the D blitzes. It's not on the OL when they send more than 5 guys, it's on the QB and WRs.

I gotta hand it to TT. Even though he didn't have one of those breakout impressive air-attack type games, he was certainly solid and made good decisions protecting the football! It's nice finally having a QB that doesn't give games away on a regular basis.

'

TT is a solid QB, and a bright spot on a team that in under performing.. Hopefully he can refine his game some more

I'll need to watch the all-22 on that one, Kirby. You may be right, but what I suspect is that the throw came in in a position that Revis can make a play, and that Sammy jumped to box him out.

I'll need to watch the all-22 on that one, Kirby. You may be right, but what I suspect is that the throw came in in a position that Revis can make a play, and that Sammy jumped to box him out.

disagree.

it looked to me like a poorly timed jump, Watkins had a step on Revis. I would say that Watkins was a little tight towards the beginning of the game (see the dropped pass from stone-hands)

The throw should have been more to the right to allow Watkins to run after it. Trying to arc it in perfectly makes for a much lower percentage completion chance.

Very close play though, I think if Watkins had just run through the ball he could have had it, Revis maybe gets a hand in either way.

Edited by Jobot

Can't say no mistakes, but no turnovers is a very good thing. He rushed himself at times when he didn't have to & took an unnecessary sack. Still(IMO) has to show teams he can beat them from the pocket.

This is what I'm trying to say, only failing with words. Thanks ball of beer.

In the NFL today you need more than "no mistakes." You can't go an entire quarter without a first down. You can't count on 17/27 for 150 some yards from the QB. I guess I'm just not one to pin my hopes on a guy who's not a "hey, get on my shoulders and ride to victory" type.

Fair enough, except that is exactly what he did at Tennessee. So if we are keeping score he has 1 single handed victory and zero games given away and is 5-2 as a starter. He was very good in both Miami games and the Colts game. He was not great against the Pats in the 1st half but very good in the second half. The defense gave up like 500 passing yards in that game. I don't care who is playing QB if you give up 500 yards in the air your team is probably in trouble.

disagree.

it looked to me like a poorly timed jump, Watkins had a step on Revis. I would say that Watkins was a little tight towards the beginning of the game (see the dropped pass from stone-hands)

The throw should have been more to the right to allow Watkins to run after it. Trying to arc it in perfectly makes for a much lower percentage completion chance.

Very close play though, I think if Watkins had just run through the ball he could have had it, Revis maybe gets a hand in either way.

Like I said, I'll want to watch the all-22 before casting any judgments, but Sammy has demonstrated, very consistently, the desire to run straight through a ball rather than posting up, so I'm assuming he had a reason for doing so.

It was a "good enough" throw that could have and quite possibly should have been caught. Just compare it with Fitz's deep throws. His throw to Watkins in the end zone (which Watkins caught) was a great throw but the coverage was perfect--Revis rode Watkins out of bounds. If he had beaten Revis, that's an easy in-bounds td catch for Watkins.

It was a "good enough" throw that could have and quite possibly should have been caught. Just compare it with Fitz's deep throws. His throw to Watkins in the end zone (which Watkins caught) was a great throw but the coverage was perfect--Revis rode Watkins out of bounds. If he had beaten Revis, that's an easy in-bounds td catch for Watkins.

I'm sure it was. I'm speaking as to why he stopped and jumped rather than running through the ball.

I'm sure it was. I'm speaking as to why he stopped and jumped rather than running through the ball.

Sammy did not have a great game. Maybe he was too amped up. He dropped a couple too. One was a tough catch but his bobble almost resulted in a pick, and the other one was just a straight drop. He'll bounce back.

The OL did a good job overall. There was a patch in the third quarter where they struggled but overall they opened gaps in the run game and protected TT. TT has to learn to get the ball out of his hands when the D blitzes. It's not on the OL when they send more than 5 guys, it's on the QB and WRs.

I still think there is a lot of improvement to be had on the OL.......that jets DL completely overwhelmed them at times.

The east west play calling and running out of the shotgun did not help.......but when a opposing team is going to contain your mobile threat QB in the pocket....your OL better give him a pocket to throw from

They are improving in their run blocking

Fair enough, except that is exactly what he did at Tennessee. So if we are keeping score he has 1 single handed victory and zero games given away and is 5-2 as a starter. He was very good in both Miami games and the Colts game. He was not great against the Pats in the 1st half but very good in the second half. The defense gave up like 500 passing yards in that game. I don't care who is playing QB if you give up 500 yards in the air your team is probably in trouble.

To be fair, he sucked for most of the Tennessee game and only needed the miraculous runs because he was struggling to read the defense and hit receivers with passes. So giving credit for "single handedly victory" is probably a bit generous, in my opinion. He was able to recover from his poor play to get the win and deserves credit for that but single handed? Does the defense get credit for holding Tennessee to 13 points despite 7 punts and numerous 3 and outs from Taylor and the offense? As far as I can tell from the game stats, Tyrod had about 20 yds passing in the first half.

If the ball was thrown to the right, it's most likely 6. Sammy even pointed to the right after. I do not think it was catchable because of the speed at which Sammy was running and the angle in which he had to adjust to get to the ball. Just a poorly thrown ball if that was the correct route, but we'll never know if he was to go straight up the field or to the right...

If the ball was thrown to the right, it's most likely 6. Sammy even pointed to the right after. I do not think it was catchable because of the speed at which Sammy was running and the angle in which he had to adjust to get to the ball. Just a poorly thrown ball if that was the correct route, but we'll never know if he was to go straight up the field or to the right...

It's one of those things they will work out as they play more together I think. Tyrod placed the ball over the top expecting Sammy to keep running and Sammy expected the ball to be more towards the middle of the field so he could have space to go get it.