Rams Relocate to LA; Chargers Have 1st Option to Also Move

Of course he bought it to make money...because it is a guaranteed money maker. Why else would Kroenke be so hot to spend 2 billion to move his team to LA/Kroenke Stadium?

Pegula didn't commit an act of charity when buying the Bills. He voted yes on the move because he believes in his and his colleagues' right to run their businesses as they please---and he sees his share of a billion plus in relocation fees coming his way.

He could have had the team for 1b. He had the team for 1b. There was no one else it was going to. He just chose to spend 1.4 because he wanted to, and didn't care, he just wanted it over. He basically gave that much away for free. That is not because he ONLY wants to make money as you say.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could have had the team for 1b. He had the team for 1b. There was no one else it was going to. He just chose to spend 1.4 because he wanted to, and didn't care, he just wanted it over. He basically gave that much away for free. That is not because he ONLY wants to make money as you say.

He just wants everyone to be just like Bob Kraft which probably would cost Pegula $400M in liquor costs anyway.

I've never seen an explanation as to why he spent what he spent. Do you know for sure?

Look, I think he's a genuinely nice guy who is interested in Buffalo. Of course there are many cool benefits to owning an NFL team other than it prints more money than the US mint for you. But as a business man, PEgula bought this team because it is the best investment in sports.

Pegula is a vast improvement over the previous owner who had no problem voting down other owners' moves while himself threatening to move whenever he wanted better stadium accommodations.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I've never seen an explanation as to why he spent what he spent. Do you know for sure?

Look, I think he's a genuinely nice guy who is interested in Buffalo. Of course there are many cool benefits to owning an NFL team other than it prints more money than the US mint for you. But as a business man, PEgula bought this team because it is the best investment in sports.

Pegula is a vast improvement over the previous owner who had no problem voting down other owners' moves while himself threatening to move whenever he wanted better stadium accommodations.

The bids were in. They were all around 1b or below. Pegula just went to the trust and said how much will it take to just end this now? They (wisely) said 1.4b even though there was really no more bidding. And Pegula just wrote them a check without negotiating.

i thought the 2nd bid was 1.2 bil?

I am proud the NFL has conducted a fair and open evaluation of the options available for returning professional football to Los Angeles and I believe the hard work put in by so many has resulted in the best possible outcome for all concerned.

I look forward to the continued resolution of stadium issues surrounding the Chargers and Raiders.

#1 - STL fans can start by blaming themselves. NOT one single sellout this year.

#2 - STL fans can blame their elected officials who kept playing hardball knowingly approving plans that came up short financially, even though the current lease spelled out exactly their obligations to keep the team..... FOR THE SECOND TIME.....that's how they lost the cardinals to Arizona.

#3 - STL fans likely will never get another NFL team. the league will go to London, England or Toronto before they go back to STL.

The bolded part is obviously false, as you figured out 2 sentences later. The NFL has never suffered for the valuation of the Bills, which has gone up annually before Pegula showed up.

As usual, WEO cherry picking his facts. The Bills were valued at just under $800MM just before Ralph's passing. They sold for $1.4B. When the NFL's least valuable franchise sets a new NFL franchise record (for team only, no stadium or real estate) then every NFL franchise gets a huge bump. Those are facts, WEO.

Here's another fact, the NFL tolerated the Bills only out of respect for Wilson. Sure the team was worth a nice chuck of change in Buffalo but it would be worth 2X that in Los Angeles just by moving. As I quoted earlier, the NFL's business is the NFL. There was nothing holding the Bills in Buffalo but Ralph Wilson.

so rivalries mean nothing?

Name two NFL rivalries that mean anything anymore. Bills-Miami? Please. That's been dead since the 90's. In fact I'm in favor of swapping with the Ravens and moving the Bills to a more geographically based AFC North. We belong with Pittsburgh, Cleveland and CInci more than Boston, New York and Miami.

As usual, WEO cherry picking his facts. The Bills were valued at just under $800MM just before Ralph's passing. They sold for $1.4B. When the NFL's least valuable franchise sets a new NFL franchise record (for team only, no stadium or real estate) then every NFL franchise gets a huge bump. Those are facts, WEO.

Here's another fact, the NFL tolerated the Bills only out of respect for Wilson. Sure the team was worth a nice chuck of change in Buffalo but it would be worth 2X that in Los Angeles just by moving. As I quoted earlier, the NFL's business is the NFL. There was nothing holding the Bills in Buffalo but Ralph Wilson.

Name two NFL rivalries that mean anything anymore. Bills-Miami? Please. That's been dead since the 90's. In fact I'm in favor of swapping with the Ravens and moving the Bills to a more geographically based AFC North. We belong with Pittsburgh, Cleveland and CInci more than Boston, New York and Miami.

Steelers and Ravens. Ravens and Pats. Jets and Pats. Seahawks and 49ers had a good run for a minute.

I completely agree. Bills and Dolphins means nothing to me anymore. Rivalries in the NFL usually are created due to competition. Suddenly Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are a hot rivalry because they are alone in the AFC North and met in the playoffs. Seattle/San Fran had a rivalry until one of them fell off.

I have wanted the Bills in the AFC North for a long time.... at least some realignment. Leagues realign periodically, at least subtly... it keeps things fresh. The NFL has had the same configuration for an eternity.

Buffalo/Pittsburgh/Cleveland (and Cincinnati) fit together better than Buffalo does with Miami, NYC, and Boston. Put Baltimore with them.

Edited by May Day 10

The Pegulas are not dumb people. Terry may very well be a nice guy, but he did not get filthy rich by being nice. They are in this business to make money. If you do not believe that, you are living in some sort of fantasy land.

The Pegulas are not dumb people. Terry may very well be a nice guy, but he did not get filthy rich by being nice. They are in this business to make money. If you do not believe that, you are living in some sort of fantasy land.

I know a bunch of filthy rich people. Not everything they do is to make money. Sometimes just the opposite. The fact is he didn't have to pay nearly as much as he did, but he did, just because he didn't want to mess around anymore. That is not a guy who cares only about making money. You can't help but make money in the NFL. But that is not his reason for being an owner. He can make 10x as much in his old business and flat out said that when he bought the team.

#1 - STL fans can start by blaming themselves. NOT one single sellout this year.

#2 - STL fans can blame their elected officials who kept playing hardball knowingly approving plans that came up short financially, even though the current lease spelled out exactly their obligations to keep the team..... FOR THE SECOND TIME.....that's how they lost the cardinals to Arizona.

#3 - STL fans likely will never get another NFL team. the league will go to London, England or Toronto before they go back to STL.

I dont blame cities for finally standing up to the NFL. There should be no need for the taxpayers to front hundreds of Millions of dollars to build a stadium for billionaires and a multi-billion dollar company.

There is a clause in the CInci agreement that once holographic replay system (not invented yet) make its mark, the tax payers have to pay the bill to have that installed in the stadium. WTF?

How many games would most cities (including Buffalo) sell out, with a losing team, knowing that in all likelihood, "their" team was packing up and moving at the end of the season? My personal opinion is that Kroenke wanted out because all the money he could make in LA, and there wasn't really anything St Louis Rams fans could do, that would have changed that. Fans are the last ones who should be blamed.

Edited by Buftex

Your team's owner is a fat drunk whose team Ralph saved.

Your first paragraph is correct.

Your second paragraph is the opposite of "fact"--it is a complete fabrication. The NFL had nothing to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo--no matter who the owner was. They couldn't mandate the Bills to LA--WIlson or Pegula.

So, really, I'm hardly "cherry picking" amongst your "facts"...

Was this reported as such?

A little history on the Rams:

1936-1945: Cleveland Rams

1946-1994: Los Angeles Rams

1995-2015: St. Louis Rams

2016-?: Los Angeles Rams

I feel for the fans in St. Louis, but it was really Los Angeles's team to begin with. I don't really consider them Cleveland's team because they left when the Browns began because they didn't think they could compete. Plus they were in LA almost 50 years.

Speaking of rivalries, wasn't the original idea for divisions this?

AFC North

Buffalo

Cincinatti

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

AFC East

NE*

Miami

NJ

Baltimore

But the NFL swapped Baltimore and Buffalo because Mr. Wilson wanted to keep the Bills/Dolphins rivalry intact?

I totally get why (at the time) the Miami/Buffalo rivalry mattered. However, how cool would it be to be in a division with the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers? Easy on the fans of all teams to travel to away games too.

Speaking of rivalries, wasn't the original idea for divisions this?

AFC North

Buffalo

Cincinatti

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

AFC East

NE*

Miami

NJ

Baltimore

But the NFL swapped Baltimore and Buffalo because Mr. Wilson wanted to keep the Bills/Dolphins rivalry intact?

I totally get why (at the time) the Miami/Buffalo rivalry mattered. However, how cool would it be to be in a division with the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers? Easy on the fans of all teams to travel to away games too.

It mattered most when both teams were winning with future HOF QBs.

Tossing the Bills in with other rust belt cities isn't going to create some new hot rivalry.

Tossing the Bills in with other rust belt cities isn't going to create some new hot rivalry.

Nope, who could get excited about Bills-Browns and Bills-Bengals twice a year?

i can't see Spanos giving up the option to go there and then having two competing franchises that close in LA

i agree with ya....

Spanos was already willing to share the LA market with the raiders. makes little sense that he wouldn't be willing to do the same with the Rams.

Was this reported as such?

Yes. Bon Jovi's group came in at 1.05. Trump was right around 1b. Golisano never even bid. There was one late bid that was a little over a billion. The whole thing happened in a couple hours. Pegula just said how much to end it now, they said 1.4 and it was done.

This was one article that tells about half the story. I don't have time to look it up but the "how much will it take to end this" was reported.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/pegulas-submit-aggressive-14-billion-bid-to-acquire-bills-franchise-20140909

I take some issue with #1 and #2.

The attendance was very good for a team that in not very good, especially with a fan base that has to deal with talks of a move for the past several years. The owner sold them out and publicly stated he was moving the team on many occasions. What would have happened to attendance in Buffalo given the same circumstances?

The politicians did what politicians do. The team had impossible demands to meet. The current dome in St. Louis is a fine venue for a dome. It would be extremely wasteful to have to build another stadium here to keep the RAMS but that is what the city was up against. St. Louis got jerked around at the last expansion when the NFL chose Jacksonville, clearly a mistake. Remember the people here got swindled into buying PSL's, that gave them the "right" to buy seats. The NFL cashed in big on the Rams move to St. Louis and will cash in big on the move back.

I have lived in LA, Baltimore, St. Louis and Buffalo. LA has the worst fan base for the NFL. St. Louis is a pretty good football market, there are still St. Louis Cardinals fans out here. By the end of their 2nd losing season in LA no one will care about the Rams in LA. The stadium will be empty again.

There will most likely never be another NFL team in St. Louis. I will agree with that.

Recall who stole the Buffalo Braves. Still stinks. By the way, why is the NFL so against expanding?

The NFL's official position has been as follows:

1. We want to return to the Los Angeles market.
  2. We want to have a team in London some day.
  3. We want our teams to stay in their existing markets.
  4. We do not want to expand.

Can't do all four. Wonder which position is BS?

Well technically they were traded owners with Boston to stop Boston from moving, so even though was buffalo that moved, it was Boston's owner that moved them, as NBA didn't want to loose that city but didn't mind loosing ours.

Wilson wanted to keep his current division teams. Buffalo already had Pittsburgh and Cleveland rivalry.

Buffalo vs Pittsburgh is probably the most heated rivalry for non-division and non within state rivalries in the league.