Why Is It So Hard To See The Problem ?

T master

Every one including myself were taken back a bit in believing that T Pegula & Whaley got a coach like Rex Ryan . We all thought that were on the way to the top & to this point we have seen the vaulted Bills D that has led the league the past 2 years in sacks & QB pressures do little to dominate like they did in the recent past .

Why is it so hard for new coaches to their new teams to put their collective ego's aside, look at (what is on tape) & do what WAS working, like they say

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT !! Is it really that hard to see ?

The Bills DB's are playing pretty much lights out (for the most part) but the front 4 is where the change in scheme is stifling them by making them drop instead of getting at the QB !!

Just go back & include some of the type of things that Schwartz was doing, include them with a little twist to your D & then you can (if needed) stroke your ego & say it's my idea .

But if it ain't working with what the new coaching staff is doing CHANGE IT !! Before it's to late !!

I truly believe that if our D was playing & getting the pressure that they were last year the Bills could be at least 4-2 if not 5-1 !!

Go Bills !

Edited by T master

I agree. The only difference between last year's D and this year's is Rex Ryan. Double down on what the OP stated. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave the D alone. Only problem is, it's too late, Rex has already Wrecked the D. Sorry for the pun, but I don't believe that at this point in the season, they can simply stop what they have been installing since training camp and go back to the old D. Could be a long season if they don't get it fixed somehow.

Every one including myself were taken back a bit in believing that T Pegula & Whaley got a coach like Rex Ryan . We all thought that were on the way to the top & to this point we have seen the vaulted Bills D that has led the league the past 2 years in sacks & QB pressures do little to dominate like they did in the recent past .

Why is it so hard for new coaches to their new teams to put their collective ego's aside, look at (what is on tape) & do what WAS working, like they say

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT !! Is it really that hard to see ?

The Bills DB's are playing pretty much lights out (for the most part) but the front 4 is where the change in scheme is stifling them by making them drop instead of getting at the QB !!

Just go back & include some of the type of things that Schwartz was doing, include them with a little twist to your D & then you can (if needed) stroke your ego & say it's my idea .

But if it ain't working with what the new coaching staff is doing CHANGE IT !! Before it's to late !!

I truly believe that if our D was playing & getting the pressure that they were last year the Bills could be at least 4-2 if not 5-1 !!

Go Bills !

Maybe the DB's are light's out because of the schemes Rex/Thurman are running to help them.

I personaly think what has happened is Rex is so used to not having teams with this much talent that his multiple exotic blitzes actually kept his past defenses good with less talent

now he comes to this team.....where the strength of it is generating pressure with just the down linemen and he doesnt know how to handle it at first

What he needs to do.....is create pressure with his front 4......drop his LBs and secondary into coverage.......and OCCASIONALLY send a extra bltzer and time it right

Everyone was so glad to see Rex take over, but I never liked the guy. We beat his Jets regularly over the past few years. Then he boasts that having a #4 defense wasn't good enough. Where have I heard that claim before? He was right, we dropped out and his defensive mind is apparently not even in the league with Cincinnati or New England. Can't we just once get a winning coach, not a coach that players want to play for? Winning coaches are mostly disliked by their players, because they ask too much of them. Instead we get the deadbeats who the players love, because they let them get away with crap.

Everyone was so glad to see Rex take over, but I never liked the guy. We beat his Jets regularly over the past few years. Then he boasts that having a #4 defense wasn't good enough. Where have I heard that claim before? He was right, we dropped out and his defensive mind is apparently not even in the league with Cincinnati or New England. Can't we just once get a winning coach, not a coach that players want to play for? Winning coaches are mostly disliked by their players, because they ask too much of them. Instead we get the deadbeats who the players love, because they let them get away with crap.

Well in fairness Carp hates Rex and he's been spotty this season.

This is an opportunity for good leadership.

Rex and defensive coaching staff should ask the D Linemen, "What do you do differently last year that made you so effective?" Treat these players like adults. Get them involved in solving problems. And listen to their suggestions.

Then (or before) the coaches should study game video of last year and see what the differences were for themselves.

Rex likes to tinker. Fine. Let him tinker with the back 7/8. The front 4 were very effective with last year's scheme. They should be allowed to do what they did last year since it worked very well.

Rex is probably thinking the D will be better when they learn his system better, or communicate on the field better, or whatever. But we're already 6 games in and the playoffs are on the line.

The best plan isn't the smartest, most creative plan. Usually it's the plan that's executed well. Maybe Rex's ideas are indeed smarter than Schwartz's. But the truth is the DL executed Schwartz's scheme much better. So let's go with that.

It seems that the players are thinking along these lines. Hopefully they can persuade their coaches.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Agree with the premise of OP.

Just want to add a twist: why point to Rex Ryan as the problem. People love to bash the man on top. Mainly because it's easy to do so.

Yes the man on top is overall responsible (like those Captains who go down with the ship).

But if you want to be an insightful fan, you do some analysis and bash root causes. To do that, you most often have to go down a few levels.**

The defensive coordinator is Dennis Thurman. That is the operative difference from last year--Jim Schwartz to Dennis Thurman. The difference is not Rex Ryan. **

The offensive coordinator (who I suggest is also under-performing) is Greg Roman.

Footnote:

** I say this assuming Rex Ryan is behaving as a HC.. it could be he's still playing DC while HC, in which case I recant all previous statements.

Agree with the premise of OP.

Just want to add a twist: why point to Rex Ryan as the problem. People love to bash the man on top. Mainly because it's easy to do so.

Yes the man on top is overall responsible (like those Captains who go down with the ship).

But if you want to be an insightful fan, you do some analysis and bash root causes. To do that, you most often have to go down a few levels.**

The defensive coordinator is Dennis Thurman. That is the operative difference from last year--Jim Schwartz to Dennis Thurman. The difference is not Rex Ryan. **

The offensive coordinator (who I suggest is also under-performing) is Greg Roman.

Footnote:

** I say this assuming Rex Ryan is behaving as a HC.. it could be he's still playing DC while HC, in which case I recant all previous statements.

According to Collision Low Crossers, Rex was intimately involved with the D while in New York and I assume it's the same here.

In any case, he's the Head Coach. If his DC is screwing up, it's his responsibility to fix it.

So, no, you don't have to go down a few levels. Rex brought his defense here (not Thurman's defense) and the defense he imported is not succeeding.

And it was Rex's decision to bring Thurman here to implement his defense, instead of retaining Schwartz as DC and letting Schwartz run his defensive scheme.

Rex bears the ultimate responsibility.

My thoughts exactly. Rex Ryan needs to let his D line do D line stuff. Hopefully, he'll let his ego take a back seat in London and beyond.

I would say, however, that a reason why our DBs are "lights out" is likely because of Ryan's scheme. The two pieces are connected.

He has two weeks to right this ship. Otherwise, this season's awash.

They also have to want to coach the bills. Its a short list.

According to Collision Low Crossers, Rex was intimately involved with the D while in New York and I assume it's the same here.

In any case, he's the Head Coach. If his DC is screwing up, it's his responsibility to fix it.

So, no, you don't have to go down a few levels. Rex brought his defense here (not Thurman's defense) and the defense he imported is not succeeding.

And it was Rex's decision to bring Thurman here to implement his defense, instead of retaining Schwartz as DC and letting Schwartz run his defensive scheme.

Rex bears the ultimate responsibility.

We're jumping to conclusions here regarding Schwartz, maybe Ryan wanted to retain Schwartz but Schwartz said F no.

Agree.. Rex bears ultimate responsibility.. just saying it's superficial to pin the blame squarely on him when he has an OC and DC.

Maybe the OC and/or DC suck and RR has been struggling with that.

RELAX PEOPLE!!! The record of the teams they lost to is 13-3. Sure, the Giants game still stings a bit, but the schedule is much better moving forward. The front four aren't getting pressure like they have in the past...agreed! They will make changes and it will get better. But the real problem is this team can't stay healthy, and they are losing KEY players that would affect any team. This is not an excuse, it is fact. Sure, every team (except Cincy) is dealing with injuries, but not to the magnitude of the Bills. Get Tyrod, Sammy, Percy and Karlos back and our offense will score, have established drives, avoid the multiple 3 and outs, better field position....ALL of which will have a huge affect on D.

GO BILLS!!!

I like this topic...

A few years ago, Chan was the OC (more or less) and the offense worked pretty well with a lot of screens and sweeps. Other than fumbles and interceptions (cough cough, Fitz) most people seemed happy.

At the same time Wannstedt was the DC, and everyone was mad because of the vanilla, no blitz schemes.

Then Marrone and/or Hackett were the OC, and everyone was mad because of the vanilla and predictable play calling.

At the same time, Pettine and then Schwartz were DCs, and everyone liked it because they coached for aggressive plays.

Then along came Rex and Roman. Everybody was excited because they were highly regarded with defensive and offensive schemes, respectively.

Unfortunately, their schemes have turned out to be predictable, not very innovative, and downright confusing for the players.

It seems as though the Bills can't seem to get quality coaching on both O and D at the same time. And as fans, we see it and don't understand how it can keep happening.

And don't give me garbage about "it would all be fixed with a franchise QB." Brady, Manning, Rogers , etc. would all fail with the horrible coaching that the BIlls have had for the past 15+ years.

RELAX PEOPLE!!! The record of the teams they lost to is 13-3. Sure, the Giants game still stings a bit, but the schedule is much better moving forward. The front four aren't getting pressure like they have in the past...agreed! They will make changes and it will get better. But the real problem is this team can't stay healthy, and they are losing KEY players that would affect any team. This is not an excuse, it is fact. Sure, every team (except Cincy) is dealing with injuries, but not to the magnitude of the Bills. Get Tyrod, Sammy, Percy and Karlos back and our offense will score, have established drives, avoid the multiple 3 and outs, better field position....ALL of which will have a huge affect on D.

GO BILLS!!!

I like your post. There needs to be changes on defense. My hope is he rushes four, and still does some of his blitzes with different players. He can really revamp in the bye so holding out for some nice changes when we host the Fish.

On offense, people are blasting Roman too much. Look what he's working with in not having K. Williams, McCoy until this past week, but he's not even 100%, Miller gone until this week, but is he healthy? What about Harvin, and Mr. Glass - Sammy. I love when sammy is healthy, but he never seems to be healthy. Then there is TT.

Roman should be applauded for what he is trying to do with almost every talented skill player we have out except Clay.

Lastly, Rex is not a retread.

He took the Jets with Mark Sanchez, that's right Mark Sanchez to the AFC championships in his first two years as a HC, and prior to that ran one of the best most consistent defenses of the last decade in Baltimore. Yes, they were avg to stink the last year in NY, but you have to look deeper. Idzik had to fix mismanagement with Tannenbaum, so he robbed of all of the tools he needed on defense to keep them on top.

Can you imagine how jealous Rex is of Bowles that in his first year he gets Revis, and Cromartie. That is what rex needed.

I'm not a Rex apologist, and my tune will get saltier if he does not clean up penalties, play disciplined football, and adjsut this defense to it's strengths. I'm just not willing to say in his first six games, "he sucks", when there are other factors.

Besides guys, like it or not we're with him for the next two and half years. The Pegulas have a guaranteed $25 mil contract so they are not going to can Rex before three years. At some point of there were problem, he would have to sacrifice a coordinator or two.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. Injuries suck. And they are mostly to blame for a lot of the poor execution. If this team was perfectly healthy, it would have the potential to be competitive with any of the teams it lost to.