At What Point is Watkins Officially "Injury Prone"

Fragile bullies

The Bills are like the bully from A Christmas Story who gets beat up himself. And Rex is like the kid weakly telling Ralphie to stop.

I've always defended him against accusations that he is injury prone, but I'm starting to worry. It's not even the number of injuries; it's the variety of them: ankle, calf, hip, glute, ribs.

Exactly. It was a perfectly fine, normal throw.

Buddy and Doug just love fast injury prone skill position types from Clemson.

Edited by BillsVet

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admit? Dave, would Sammy be in a walking boot today if the pass hit him in the numbers while he was upright? I don't want to argue. You see it one way, I see it differently.

He hurt the ankle planting on a cut to get open in the EZ. Watch the play. He was going to go to the ground after the catch even if it hit him in the numbers. He was injured before the catch.

Harvin is a good mentor for Watkins, since Watkins will have a career much like Harvin's - full of potential but ruined by being injury prone.

Sammy "China Doll" Watkins has been a huge disappointment. This organization has missed the playoffs for 15 years or so because of bad decisions like drafting a WR (after trading two 1st round picks to move up 5 places) when (at the time) you didn't even have a legit NFL QB.

As an organization, it is hard to overcome huge mistakes like Watkins and Rex Ryan and expect success.

Sammy "China Doll" Watkins has been a huge disappointment. This organization has missed the playoffs for 15 years or so because of bad decisions like drafting a WR (after trading two 1st round picks to move up 5 places) when (at the time) you didn't even have a legit NFL QB.

As an organization, it is hard to overcome huge mistakes like Watkins and Rex Ryan and expect success.

Forgive me: if nearly 1,000 yards and 6 TDs as a rookie constitute a "huge disappointment", then what, exactly, were you expecting?

I believe most were expecting him to be similar to AJ Green and Julio Jones--true #1 WRs...his rookie numbers were nearly identical to those guys' rookie numbers.

Not sure this has been mentioned but he caught the ball after the rolled his ankle. Most of us would have been crying on the ground as the ball went flying by.

And the pass was fine. Running to his right, back across his body, placed where the defender wasn't. It was a great pass. If Sammy plants and doesn't roll his ankle it is nothing but a great pass.

He might be prone to injuries but he has played through a partially torn hip labrum. Let's see how many of us don't put in for PTO with a torn hip.

Get off the guy. He is a star talent and given time he might be a superstar. ((( PS I wouldn't give two first round picks for any non-QB but that is not Watkin's fault)))

I agree Armchair let's be fair. This year 11 receptions for 147 yards through six games, at this rate he is on pace for 30 catches for 401 yards. I know, it's the quarterback, the running back, the coaches, the (insert here) fault.

The fact of the matter is he shot his mouth off when he was barely able to practice and get on the field. Now he just looks like a fool.

I agree Armchair let's be fair. This year 11 receptions for 147 yards through six games, at this rate he is on pace for 30 catches for 401 yards. I know, it's the quarterback, the running back, the coaches, the (insert here) fault.

The fact of the matter is he shot his mouth off when he was barely able to practice and get on the field. Now he just looks like a fool.

Yes, he shouldn't have gone to the media. That has zero to do with his body of work in the NFL.

Using your measuring stick, Jordy Nelson doesn't belong in the NFL...he's got zero catches for zero yards and zero TDs through 6 games...bust!

I'm sitting here wondering what Andre Reed would say if he read this. He'd probably pull a muscle from laughing too hard.

No ****, right?

I saw Andre go into the RWS wall and thought he was done as a player. He got up, shook it off, and played the rest of the game/season. Now that is tough!

Walkins, Goodwin, Harvin, not so much.

Yes, he shouldn't have gone to the media. That has zero to do with his body of work in the NFL.

Using your measuring stick, Jordy Nelson doesn't belong in the NFL...he's got zero catches for zero yards and zero TDs through 6 games...bust!

Jordy has 3 years of being one of the best WR's in the NFL.

Take a look at the hit Mariotta took--he stayed in.

Look a the non-impact stumbling that took Sammy out of the game yet again.

He was right--the Bills are making him look...bad.

this is a ridiculous post. So JamaalCharles is a wuss cause his ACL was non impact hit.

I am guessing you meant this sarcasticly

Edited by plenzmd1

I broke my ankle once planting it wrong, guess I'm "injury prone". As was mentioned earlier, most overused phrase in the NFL.

Sammy is not "soft" because he planted wrong (or foot got stuck in the turf, or he slipped weird), it's just a thing that happened. Are the only non-injury prone players the ones that play their entire career without injury? Cause they're few and far between...

I broke my ankle once planting it wrong, guess I'm "injury prone". As was mentioned earlier, most overused phrase in the NFL.

Sammy is not "soft" because he planted wrong (or foot got stuck in the turf, or he slipped weird), it's just a thing that happened. Are the only non-injury prone players the ones that play their entire career without injury? Cause they're few and far between...

I think the (valid) argument is that in 1.25 seasons, Sammy has had a laundry list of injuries.

Kudos to him for playing through them last year - a very successful rookie campaign.

But he's had two different injuries through the first 5 games of the season that have caused him to miss significant time.

Personally, I think that's cause for concern and definitely opens him up to the "injury prone" label.

Harvin is a good mentor for Watkins, since Watkins will have a career much like Harvin's - full of potential but ruined by being injury prone.

Well considering he was not healthy coming into the game, maybe he wouldn't be injury prone if we didn't have the rest of the offense damn near out too forcing him to play before he was healthy.

Like:

1. Using a first round pick on a QB that was projected as a 3 round talent or later.
  2. Using two first round picks on a WR without a proven QB.
  3. Trading for a high miliage running back that is in decline and giving him 25 million guaranteed.
  4. Throwing the majority of the cap at the defensive line, one that is severly underperforming.
  5. Not using enough resources for the offensive line.

Like:

• Using a first round pick on a QB that was projected as a 3 round talent or later.
  • Using two first round picks on a WR without a proven QB.
  • Trading for a high miliage running back that is in decline and giving him 25 million guaranteed.
  • Throwing the majority of the cap at the defensive line, one that is severly underperforming.
  • Not using enough resources for the offensive line.
Oh you mean all the things you arm chair GMs were happy about the time they happened? So rather than you guys be wrong, it's now about you being right about those being mistakes and it's the team that was wrong all along...got it. Weird that 90% of his board aren't NFL GMs, they had it all figured out and still do and are always right.

I love how this team was super talented, great free agency and off season, etc. all year and when we win. When we lose, all the moves are mistakes, the team is doomed, and you were right all along and should be the GM.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Oh you mean all the things you arm chair GMs were happy about the time they happened? So rather than you guys be wrong, it's now about you being right about those being mistakes and it's the team that was wrong all along...got it. Weird that 90% of his board aren't NFL GMs, they had it all figured out and still do and are always right.

Nope. I got it right from the beginning. Look it up!

Like:

• Using a first round pick on a QB that was projected as a 3 round talent or later.
  • Using two first round picks on a WR without a proven QB.
  • Trading for a high miliage running back that is in decline and giving him 25 million guaranteed.
  • Throwing the majority of the cap at the defensive line, one that is severly underperforming.
  • Not using enough resources for the offensive line.
It's a reasonable list of grievances. Here's my take on each:

1. I didn't know much about EJ at the time. I did think the team was at risk of reaching given their more recent history of not drafting QBs in early rounds. That said I still think he's the best QB on the roster.

2. I was excited about the trade on draft day because Sammy was an exciting player to watch on college. As last season unfolded I turned negative realizing there were other WRs we could have drafted lower and kept our 2015 first round pick. That said, when the guy's healthy we have to find a way to use him, at least try more.

3. Was totally against the McCoy trade and extend from day 1.

4. Defensive line does not match Rex's scheme. It may not be until next season until this is sorted out.

5. Agree with this, and it's compounded by 3. above. The right side of the line was not going to be addressed by a rookie from last year who didn't play well, and a 3rd round pick from this year. There were good vets available at RG and RT for the money we spent on 3.

Edited by JTSP

It's a reasonable list of grievances. Here's my take on each:

1. I didn't know much about EJ at the time. I did think the team was at risk of reaching given their more recent history of not drafting QBs in early rounds. That said I still think he's the best QB on the roster.

2. I was excited about the trade on draft day because Sammy was an exciting player to watch on college. As last season unfolded I turned negative realizing there were other WRs we could have drafted lower and kept our 2015 first round pick. That said, when the guy's healthy we have to find a way to use him, at least try more.

3. Was totally against the McCoy trade and extend from day 1.

4. Defensive line does not match Rex's scheme. It may not be until next season until this is sorted out.

5. Agree with this, and it's compounded by 3. above. The right side of the line was not going to be addressed by a rookie from last year who didn't play well, and a 3rd round pick from this year. There were good vets available at RG and RT for the money we spent on 3.

As for point #2, "as the season unfolded I turned negative" -- that transition happened very, very, very, very early for you. With the now infamous remark that to your eye, Sammy has more in common with a defensive back than a WR. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between being "soft" and being "injury prone." I don't think for a second that Watkins is soft; he has played through injuries and unlike a "soft" player he seems to want to play even if injured. However, he does seems to be injury prone. Last year he was reasonably productive as a rookie, but it in very clear that his effectiveness was limited due to the injuries he incurred. Being injured throughout this year's training camp and the preseason didn't help matters, and he has not had a game this year at 100%. Worse, the types of injuries he has suffered seem to be the slow to heal kind so even if he can play he is not at 100%. Unless and until he can play a considerable stretch of games at close to 100% his durability has to be suspect..

this is a ridiculous post. So JamaalCharles is a wuss cause his ACL was non impact hit.

I am guessing you meant this sarcasticly

Nope. Sammy hasn't torn his ACL. And Charles hadn't just come off the trainer's table for two games with a strained calf.

Charles carried the ball 750 times the past 3 seasons and caught 145 passes. Sammy had 67 touches last season.

Charles, an 8 year vet who has been flogged by his OC for years has a few more miles on him, takes infinitely more hits, yet has been far more durable than Sammy.

See? I pointed that all out for you without having to call your response ridiculous.....

As for point #2, "as the season unfolded I turned negative" -- that transition happened very, very, very, very early for you. With the now infamous remark that to your eye, Sammy has more in common with a defensive back than a WR. :rolleyes:

JTSP is reformed. He defended Sammy for pages in that one thread about his comments. He loves him some Ty Law.

The NFL needs to re-think its emphasis on raw power and weight training and look into more flexibility.

These guys are so muscle bound you look at them the wrong way and they pop something.

Sammy's current injury is a good example...he awkwardly shifts to catch a low ball and...sprains his ankle?

Come on.

The NFL needs to re-think its emphasis on raw power and weight training and look into more flexibility.

These guys are so muscle bound you look at them the wrong way and they pop something.

Sammy's current injury is a good example...he awkwardly shifts to catch a low ball and...sprains his ankle?

Come on.

That is strange!

Whats funny about it is some Bills fans are blaming EJ for throw, and whats more is that EJ threw it specifically so Sammy would hurt his ankle :doh:

Anyway, Thurman Thomas stated he played on two sprained ankles his entire career. He would have the trainer tape them up and go out and play. Plus, he played his entire NFL career with a torn ACL that was never properly repaired

Seeing that Sally Watkins has a "sprained ankle" makes me sick. All that laboring about on crutches like he had a broken leg, and it's nothing but a sprained ankle. He must have a very low tolerance for pain.

Or he knows the fastest way to heal a sprain includes not putting weight on it. He could probably hobble around on the thing pain - wise, but perhaps he wants to play this week? Always amazes me folks that will question the pain tolerance of pro ball players with injuries. As if they themselves are somehow tougher when the truth is they'd be laid up on their couch or hospitalized with the same injury. It's laughable stuff. Always wondered if someone thinks they are tougher than these guys then why aren't they an NFL player themselves ?

Or he knows the fastest way to heal a sprain includes not putting weight on it. He could probably hobble around on the thing pain - wise, but perhaps he wants to play this week? Always amazes me folks that will question the pain tolerance of pro ball players with injuries. As if they themselves are somehow tougher when the truth is they'd be laid up on their couch or hospitalized with the same injury. It's laughable stuff. Always wondered if someone thinks they are tougher than these guys then why aren't they an NFL player themselves ?

Toast to this man! :beer:

Was going to say the same thing - like the poster you were responding to even knows what grade of a sprain Sammy has. "All laboring on crutches", oy vey, he's in an immobilizing boot, anyone want to guess the purpose of that device? :D