At What Point is Watkins Officially "Injury Prone"

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, whether it was equipment, field, or body that caused the hiccup.... the throw was a good, safe location that was relatively easy to adjust to. ej had plenty of bad throws yesterday, but this one was fine.

i'm probably not the only one who saw other players slipping on the surface yesterday.. we shouldn't have such issues on our home field..

if footing is going to be problematic from game to game, this must be identified and solutioned prior to warm-ups - not kick-offs - and certainly prior to game action.

You missed my point, Dave. Sammy's calf injury happened on the Tyrod throw to the edge of the end zone vs. G-Men. Yesterday's ankle, last years ribs and leg are all on Manuel's inaccuracy combined with Sammy willing to sell out for every ball thrown somewhere near the field of play.

FAR from perfect, it was typically terrible. Sammy was sliding open and EJ's best effort was to throw it low and away, causing the injury. It was NOT the only place he could thrown it to be caught -it was the worst place to throw it and Still be caught.

Oh come on. Maybe the throw wasn't exactly perfect, but it was certainly good enough--and EASILY catchable. Moreover, the defenders had no chance to make a play on the ball given the placement. I'm not a fan of Manuel, but it was a good play by him. He certainly couldn't have anticipated that Watkins--much of whose whole rep rests on his ability to make spectacular plays on balls that are aren't easy to nab--would injure himself on a routine not-perfect-but-decent-enough throw in which there was no defender near him.

Why is this hard to admit? To repeat, I'm not a fan of Manuel, and you won't see me defending him in the countless threads about him.

Edited by dave mcbride

Oh come on. Maybe the throw wasn't exactly perfect, but it was certainly good enough--and EASILY catchable. Moreover, the defenders had no chance to make a play on the ball given the placement. I'm not a fan of Manuel, but it was a good play by him. He certainly couldn't have anticipated that Watkins--much of whose whole rep rests on his ability to make spectacular plays on balls that are aren't easy to nab--would injure himself on a routine not-perfect-but-decent-enough throw in which there was no defender near him.

Why is this hard to admit? To repeat, I'm not a fan of Manuel, and you won't see me defending him in the countless threads about him.

Admit? Dave, would Sammy be in a walking boot today if the pass hit him in the numbers while he was upright? I don't want to argue. You see it one way, I see it differently.

Admit? Dave, would Sammy be in a walking boot today if the pass hit him in the numbers while he was upright? I don't want to argue. You see it one way, I see it differently.

with the type of injury it was, he mightve ended up in a walking boot doing just about anything. its not like he was led into a hit or forced to lay out or anything dramatic.

with the DB angling in to Watkins from the outside, and the LB angling out to Watkins from the inside, Manuel threw to the safest spot where Watkins could receive the ball with little effort to adjust. If Watkins doesn't slip, he makes an easy two step adjustment to the ball and catches it chest high.

yup, whether it was equipment, field, or body that caused the hiccup.... the throw was a good, safe location that was relatively easy to adjust to. ej had plenty of bad throws yesterday, but this one was fine.

Bingo. I have no idea what Tyler Dunne or several of the posters were seeing on that play, but the throw was fine.

Back to Sammy, at this point, I think he's injury-prone until he proves otherwise. All offseason, we heard that he played hurt all last season, and that now that his ribs were healed, he'd be way better. This year, he's missed 2 games (about to be 3) and gotten hurt in 2 more. So he's had 2 healthy games and 4 (going on 5) injured games. Not a great ratio. And FWIW, he missed basically the whole preseason due to injury, and missed time in training camp while recovering from offseason surgery. I'll believe in the legend of Sammy once I see it. In the meantime, we can all take solace in those training camp Vines of Sammy schooling 6th-string DBs during drills.

That may be true, but WRs don't get drafted in the first round and talk about how talented they are and how much they can impact the team because every throw hit them in the numbers.

Not that anyone needs to be reminded but in the LAST FOUR YEARS, we have used two #1's, a #2, two #3's and a #4 on wide-outs. That's SIX high draft picks in four years. What do we have to show for it? One guy's already gone. One guy simply cannot stay on the field. One guy has totally disappeared. And the "star" of the bunch always seems to be nicked up or out. What a freaking debacle.

Not that anyone needs to be reminded but in the LAST FOUR YEARS, we have used two #1's, a #2, two #3's and a #4 on wide-outs. That's SIX high draft picks in four years. What do we have to show for it? One guy's already gone. One guy simply cannot stay on the field. One guy has totally disappeared. And the "star" of the bunch always seems to be nicked up or out. What a freaking debacle.

That applies to most of our draft picks. We seem to like them brittle.

Think about how long Eli Manning's gone without missing a start. Then think about our QBs over that time span.

It's insane.

Let's see- he's been on the team for a total of 22 games. So far he has missed significant portions of both training camps and all but 1 pre season games. He has had rib issues, calf issue, hip issue and now an ankle issue. He has missed two games this year. Last week, half of Miami game and 1/2 of yesterdays game.

Yeah, I think we could officially call him injury prone.

Good news is that his mouth works fine.

Woods was a great pick. He always gives his all. Not just when targeted, but making blocks and tackles too. He's more valuable than Sammy because he's a team player, and he's built for the brutality of football.

Edited by mountainwampus

Let's see- he's been on the team for a total of 22 games. So far he has missed significant portions of both training camps and all but 1 pre season games. He has had rib issues, calf issue, hip issue and now an ankle issue. He has missed two games this year. Last week, half of Miami game and 1/2 of yesterdays game.

Yeah, I think we could officially call him injury prone.

Good news is that his mouth works fine.

He also started 16 games last season, and had nearly 1,000 yards and 6 TDs playing in Nate Hackett's offense with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel throwing him the ball.

Let's look at the whole picture, and not just the parts that support your stance.

Fair?

And that's ignoring the late rounders, or the Mike Williams trade or nice contracts to Stevie and harvin in addition to those picks (at least we dodged meachem).

That said, when healthy we have a very good unit.

He also started 16 games last season, and had nearly 1,000 yards and 6 TDs playing in Nate Hackett's offense with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel throwing him the ball.

Let's look at the whole picture, and not just the parts that support your stance.

Fair?

Yes- it seems many are trying to portray last year as a total debacle for him when he was very productive despite several good reasons to have not been