Mehta: Jets are biggest threat to Patriots in AFCE

YoloinOhio

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-biggest-threat-patriots-afc-east-article-1.2370675?utm_content=bufferba081&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

The Jets secondary separates Bowles team from the Bills and Dolphins. Its hard to imagine Revis & Co. allowing Brady to throw for 466 yards like he did in Buffalo. More than half of Bradys 59 pass attempts went to Julian Edelman (19) and Rob Gronkowski (13). Thats not going to happen against Bowles secondary when the teams face each other in Week 7.

Looks like they are drinking the koolaid in Jersey. Mehta is not usually so positive. Should be interesting.

I actually agree with the quote above. They may match up the best with the Pats. With that being said they aren't explosive enough to go very far. The Bills have the talent to go deeper in the playoffs but with that defensive game plan from the other day they will never beat the Pats.

I think the Jets likely have a better defense than us, but I'd take the Bills offense over the Jets.

A lot of our problems (imo) against the Pats were scheming problems. We have talent on defense (obviously), so it comes down to if they were put in a position to succeed.

I'm confused why, "that's not going to happen against the Jets". Why can't it, is Revis going to guard Gronk and Edelman? They certainly don't have the LBs or Safeties to cover either. They have Revis, who will probably take away one of those 2 players, Brady will just go to the other. Cromartie isn't nearly as effective as he once was. He'll take the mismatches that he likes, which is exactly what he did against the Bills.

EDIT: It's a hilarious article really. He's using the Jets "dominating" performance against the Colts as the reason the Jets can beat the Patriots. Gee, I'm pretty sure thats what every reporter, fan, etc thought about the Bills after they beat the Colts. I'll say it again, the Jets defense will not be able to sustain 5 turnovers a game and be lucky enough for a RB to fumble the ball before he walks into the end zone.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I don't see how the Jets are going to score against NE.

They barely managed 20 points against Indy despite the help of 3 turnovers.

They went into a shell after the first Q. They weren't trying to score all that much, until Indy put up some points, then they marched down the field and scored to end the game.

Edited by FireChan

Thats...not what I saw.

Really? They went short pass, run, pass, or run, run, pass on their drives in the second half, until the Colts scored. Then they scored. Then Luck turned it over again, and they ran the ball 6 times to one pass. Kicked a FG and the game was over.

Really? They went short pass, run, pass, or run, run, pass on their drives in the second half, until the Colts scored. Then they scored. Then Luck turned it over again, and they ran the ball 6 times to one pass. Kicked a FG and the game was over.

The fact that they scored immediately after Indy scored does not mean that they were simply laying back in a shell. Playing ball control is not laying back in a shell.

Or are you implying that the Jets are so good that they can easily score at will, and will simply continue to do so against the Patriots?

The fact that they scored immediately after Indy scored does not mean that they were simply laying back in a shell. Playing ball control is not laying back in a shell.

Or are you implying that the Jets are so good that they can easily score at will, and will simply continue to do so against the Patriots?

I'm not saying they are great or even good. I'm just saying, to me, them not putting up more than 20 on the Colts was due, in part, to their conservative approach once they got a lead. IMO.

I'm not saying they are great or even good. I'm just saying, to me, them not putting up more than 20 on the Colts was due, in part, to their conservative approach once they got a lead. IMO.

Can't say that I agree.

Their first possession after going up 7-0 (thanks to a 9-yard TD drive after an interception) was pass, pass, pass, punt.

Very next possession was run, run, pass (for 1st down), followed by pass, pass, pass, punt.

Next possession was run, run, pass (for 1st down), followed by pass, run, pass (1st down by penalty), pass (interception).

Their next possession, on which they kicked a field goal, featured 7 passes in 9 plays (2 were deep throws)

After Indy's 2nd half fumble, they opened with 4 consecutive passing plays (2 were deep throws), followed by 2 runs and a FG.

Their final TD drive was 6 passes in 8 plays (3 were deep balls)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400791711

Play-calling looked like a team trying to score...to me anyway.

I actually agree with the quote above. They may match up the best with the Pats. With that being said they aren't explosive enough to go very far. The Bills have the talent to go deeper in the playoffs but with that defensive game plan from the other day they will never beat the Pats.

Agree on both points. Fitz can win a game in September but it's doubtful he can carry the team in November and December. He's a finished product, whereas TT has the potential to get better (as does Rex's game planning)...

To buy off on this article, I would have to buy off that the Jets are going to be +4 in turnovers every week. I'm just not buying it. They've generated 10 turnovers in their first two games. Neither the Browns or the Colts looked good in either of their first two games. Despite all that, they're basically break even on the possession battle on offense (just over 30 minutes) and have moved the ball up and down the field even less than the Bills. By contrast, the Bills are only +2 in turnovers for the first two games combined. The Jets are near the top of the NFL in rushing offense and near the bottom in passing. I would expect the strategy of other teams at this point to be to force them to throw the ball. Pretty much what the Patriots did to Buffalo after the first series last weekend. Are any of the other teams a threat to the Patriots? So far, my answer would be no.

I agree. I chalked it up to Coach Gailey knowing what Fitz will probably do if he just lets him pass pass pass. He's been there and done that. Now that he has a good D, I suspect he'll be happy to sit on leads if he gets them.