Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

This is really getting ridiculous....can we please get a definitive answer on how many #1 picks we gave up for Sammy? 1? 2? 7? 14? I honestly thought it was a lot more, but now I am completely confused.

Antonio Brown is a machine and probably the best in the game right now and he is smaller than all of them including Sammy.

Also, regarding the number of picks we gave up issue - I believe Whaley traded 14 first round, first overall picks for Sammy if I remember correctly.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP is correct. Bills need to design plays to get the ball to Sammy Watkins Jr. Bubble screen, quick slant, comeback, quick out. Those are 4 routes that should shake something loose, and are tough to double-cover because they develop quickly. Get the ball in his hands and watch the YAC. How about an end around to Sammy? It worked for Percy. We have to get Sammy involved, period. It's not just about how much we paid for him, it's about he's our best offensive weapon on the field.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

This is really getting ridiculous....can we please get a definitive answer on how many #1 picks we gave up for Sammy? 1? 2? 7? 14? I honestly thought it was a lot more, but now I am completely confused.

I've heard the Bills have to give up 2 1st round picks for every year Sammy is on the active roster and if he signs an extension there is a clause in his contract that that number can go up to 3 per year.

I'd relax. You could argue that Sammy took Vontae Davis out of that game completely.

Taylor's play calling was conservative - due to the fact this was the first game that counted for everybody and you had to see how everything gelled and worked. (Or didn't.)

This isn't new phenomena. Jerry Rice would be doubled and that opened up things for John Taylor who had Pro Bowl career years because of Rice drawing double teams. Teams would double Michael Irvin which provided Alvin Harper his career years in 1993 and 1994. Reed and Lofton is another example. Harrison and Wayne in Indy. Moss and Carter in Minnesota, especially in 1998.

Point being - Sammy will get his catches but he provides an opportunity to Harvin, Woods or Clay to really shine.

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

1. He was covered by one of the best corners in the league

2. He was double covered.

3. He is hurt.

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

6. He is a better decoy.

7. Rex likes to run.

Here's another - He had little or no time in the preseason to get reps with Taylor so i think the chemistry is still a work in progress, i expect this offense to only get better as the year goes on & the unit gets more time playing together !!

OP is correct. Bills need to design plays to get the ball to Sammy Watkins Jr. Bubble screen, quick slant, comeback, quick out. Those are 4 routes that should shake something loose, and are tough to double-cover because they develop quickly. Get the ball in his hands and watch the YAC. How about an end around to Sammy? It worked for Percy. We have to get Sammy involved, period. It's not just about how much we paid for him, it's about he's our best offensive weapon on the field.

Agree with this philosophy but can we really be sure that the coaches don't have something like this in mind as well after only one game?

Rex hinted that there will be new looks on D for the Pats** so I don't see how it would be a shocker to anyone that Roman held back some of their better plays designed for Sammy for this game as well.

McCoy, Clay, and Harvin say "Hi" Are you related to that 1BillsFan who was here a while back explaining "If Rex is truly a player's coach then he will no doubt ask Sammy Watkins "off the record" who he thinks is the best QB and the one he wants as the starter. Sammy is a big star and I think that what he thinks will carry a lot of weight. The Bills want him happy and for him to have a huge breakout season."? Maybe if Sammy isn't getting targeted, Rex ought to pull Taylor and replace him with whichever QB Sammy wants, so that he has a huge breakout season? Screw winning, that's what we want!

Sammy will be a fine WR in the NFL, but we have a lot of offensive weapons on the field and the last thing the Bills need is for them to start chewing over which of them is "the best". Just Win Baby.

We've played one game in which, IMO, Roman switched the valve to "vanilla" and put the playbook on the shelf after that long drive in the 3rd to avoid tipping his hand to Bill Belichek, though that's just my opinion. It was also Taylor's first pro game and we got ahead early and led throughout, while our OL had its struggles and needs to improve.

Reportedly, Roman's playbook needs a miniature pony and cart to move it around the facility 'cuz it's too freakin' thick and heavy for these jacked pro athletes to carry without straining their triceps and spraining their thumbs, and you're discoursing about how the Bills need to design different plays than Roman already has in the thing? Maybe you could wait until, oh, I don't know - the third game or so, or perhaps even the Bye week, to opine about the plays the Bills do or don't have drawn up?

has anyone mentioned Odell Beckham?

Not in this thread yet, so GO!

Edited by Hopeful

From my point of view the team used the 2014 first round pick to move up to draft him, and traded away the 2015 first round pick along with a 2015 4th round pick all to obtain one player. That's 3 draft picks for one player.

"The transaction ultimately broke down like this: The Bills moved up to No. 4 overall by dealing their 2014 first-round pick, No. 9 overall (one #1 pick), to the Browns along with first (one #1 pick) - and fourth-round (one #4 pick) selections this year. Those picks ended up being No. 19 and No. 115 overall after the Bills 9-7 season." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/04/28/was-trading-up-for-sammy-watkins-worth-it-what-the-numbers-some-pundits-say/

If the team didn't use those three picks all on Sammy Watkins, then tell me who were they used on? Does the team have another 1st round player from 2014 or 2015 hiding somewhere?

You are absolutely correct. 2 #1's and a 4th were spent on one player, Sammy. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen on the board. :lol:

As for Sammy, I think we'll see a lot more of him very soon.

Edited by Rico

Sammy has slow eyes. Cant see the end of his route.

And flat hips and a pig face. Oops, wrong thread.

I think we should all get back on track here: what about EJ?

Glad SOMEONE finally brought this up. It IS EJ's fault. If he were named the #2 QB he would have started the first game and would have thrown an 80 yard bomb to Sammy, and The Bills would have won that game. Edited by Nanker