Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

In this system the guy is not going to put up huge numbers. If he is your fantasy player might want to trade him lol.

I think you are going to end up being right about this. As long as we continue to dismantle teams like the colts and hopefully the the cheatriots next week then I don't care if Sammy catches a single ball in the process.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to listen to complaints after a win like last week, but I get where OP's coming from. More than justifying the high pick, they should use sammy more just because he's an incredible player. Jetsweep, screens, reverses, everyone talks about Percy as a gadget player but I think Sammy is just as capable of all that stuff. His initial burst is elite, I'd like to see Roman utilize it

Edited by billsgpr88

This. Would you rather Taylor force the ball to Sammy, or would you rather win?

This offense is about multiple weapons, forcing opposing defenses to pick their poison.

Bottom line, don't lose sight of the big picture. You play to win the game, not to feed one guy the ball.

What if some believe that more aggressively targeting Sammy will win more games?

It's hard to listen to complaints after a win like last week, but I get where OP's coming from. More than justifying the high pick, they should use sammy more just because he's an incredible player. Jetsweep, screens, reverses, everyone talks about Percy as a gadget player but I think Sammy is just as capable of all that stuff. His initial burst is elite, I'd like to see Roman utilize it

What if some believe that more aggressively targeting Sammy will win more games?

See now, these are legitimate criticisms that warrant discussion (along with missed assignments by the OL in the run game, as well as some instances where Taylor missed that Sammy was open--specifically on a few crossing routes when Sammy beat the double and could've had big YAC coming).

I definitely think they need to target him more aggressively.

So many homers here with Rose colored glasses. Gets a little nauseating. Dont you dare criticize anyone on my team which , BTW, hasnt made the playoffs in fifteen years. Great win last week but its one week. The criticism of Watkins, considering what we gave up, is fair.

Why don't you criticize the teams double teaming him or putting their best corner on a player that's not producing?

I agree. And I think this was really the OPs point/frustration. We are all or all should be frustrated by Small Sammy's lack of use. It's just not clear to me who is to "blame" for that.

I do know that elite receivers like Antonio brown seem to catch 7-9 balls each game. Not sure why Sammy can't do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they really only played just over a half of offensive football last week, due to the 24-point lead. They made no effort to throw the ball after the midpoint of the third quarter--because they didn't have to.

But Sammy didn't get his first target until the 3rd quarter I believe. He needs to be involved. That's why we traded up for him. We can't just not get him involved because he has a good CB covering him.

Why don't you criticize the teams double teaming him or putting their best corner on a player that's not producing?

Teams will start to learn that they can't do it.

Like teams have learned that you can't commit double to Julio Jones because Matt Ryan will just burn you with everyone else. I hope the Bills are that kind of offense now. They sure looked like it on Sunday.

There is no debate that the Buffalo Bills used 3 picks to acquire Sammy Watkins including 2 first round picks. Why people continue to argue about this and/or the terminology one uses is beyond me.

Me too BBF. I hated the trade at the time but I no longer do, not that I love it mind you.

My opinion? The kid is a super talent and the lack of production is probably due to injuries. I am guessing that he was acting as mostly a decoy vs. the Colts. I cannot think of another reason not to use someone with his obvious talent, can you?

I dont understand the obsession. the point of every game is to go out and WIN. whether Sammy is targeted or not, why does that matter if the outcome is a WIN? Sammy even said he understands that some weeks he will have few to no targets, and other weeks, more.

Sammy's presence on the field alone, impacts the game. I don't understand why his position in the draft matters, or what the Bills "gave up" to get him. He is helping this team WIN whether he's catching passes or not. He knows that, the coaches know that, and best believe other teams in the league know that.

It's week ONE. This is Rex and Roman we are talking about, not Moron and Hackless. The game plan will be different from week to week, dependent on the opponent. Stating that it's time for Sammy to "start playing ball", indicates a lack of effort on his part. Which simply isn't true. He's not calling the plays, nor is he throwing the ball. Sammy is a team player, and it's nice to have someone so prolific, not complain or pout about his lack of touches. He has a team first mentality. We should all have that.

Why are some people acting as if they are personally vested? No one cares about your fanstasy, other than you. WINNING is what matters, not how many touches a player gets. I want this team to make the play offs.

On one play Tyrod rolls out right and throws to Sammy near the sideline and he seemed to just drop it? Hard to tell from broadcast what happened or if he was in bounds but it was disappointing. Looked like a good throw.

Davis had his arm in there...Sammy was almost playing DB at the time because the throw came very late in the play.

I couldn't care less who gets the ball, as long as we win. In those 10 games, we went 6-4, including 9 games with **** coaches, and one foot out the door Orton. Apply that to a full season, you're 10-6, the best record we've been in who knows how long.

I'm not a fan of forcing the ball to your 'star' just to appease them. I want to win games.

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

1. He was covered by one of the best corners in the league

2. He was double covered.

3. He is hurt.

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

6. He is a better decoy.

7. Rex likes to run.

Did not have a single catch last Sunday vs. the Colts yet contributed mightily to the overall success of the offense. Hello!!! Are you there?