Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

Why would you force the ball to the guy who is double covered, instead of throwing to the guys who are open due to being single covered by lesser quality players?

Ask Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Demariyus Thomas, Old Calvin Johnson etc.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Demariyus Thomas, Old Calvin Johnson etc.

I think we have a more well rounded receiving corps and better running backs than the teams listed. But hey, go for it, you're the expert on all things. Let's force the ball to Sammy because we used some high picks on him. Why not.

This place is the worst.

I think we have a more well rounded receiving corps and better running backs than the teams listed. But hey, go for it, you're the expert on all things. Let's force the ball to Sammy because we used some high picks on him. Why not.

This place is the worst.

I don't think anyone wants to force the ball to him. I want to see us get him positioned better to get more targets. Not sure we did that last game well enough, but I can't say for sure.

Teams will start to learn that they can't do it.

Like teams have learned that you can't commit double to Julio Jones because Matt Ryan will just burn you with everyone else. I hope the Bills are that kind of offense now. They sure looked like it on Sunday.

So you got my point?

You double Sammy and you lose. Watch the film (opposing team). Then if you don't double Sammy you lose - because he's awesome.

Enjoy opponents!

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

7. Rex likes to run.

Watkins can't exactly call his own number and throw the ball to himself, can he?

If he's open (and all 22 says he is often open) it's on the coaches and QB what play they call and who they throw to.

What part of "we won" is upsetting to you? Sounds to me like someone drafted Watkins in Fantasy and his ox is gored 'cuz Watkins isn't putting up numbers.

Sometimes I think it's harmless, and sometimes I hate FF. Football is a team game.

Edited by Hopeful

So you got my point?

You double Sammy and you lose. Watch the film (opposing team). Then if you don't double Sammy you lose - because he's awesome.

Enjoy opponents!

funny, because that's EXACTLY what Sammy said during a presser. He gets it. Why can't certain fans. The Bills have far too many dangerous weapons to be worried about numbers. Let the other teams find out the hard way.

Fans gotta understand that Tyrod Taylor has only played ONE entire regular season game in his career so far, and is developing as he goes. Besides, currently this offensive scheme isn't setup to accord an elite QB to throw 3-4 TD passes every game. It could easily be setup that way but the team wants to be a run first team right now for obvious reasons

We all know that the last coaching regime was so lame they couldn't figure out how to make Sammy the primary target, and instead even stated they used him as a decoy some games.

This new coaching staff has the smarts to make Watkins the primary receiver, as we have seen with Anquan Boldin in San fran. Its just going to take some time to get the young QB developed properly, and allow him to grow at his own pace.

Perhaps by the end of the season Tyrod will be finding Percy & Sammy 8+ times a game each, and he is throwing 3-4 TD's a game :thumbsup:

Edited by Nihilarian

So how many times was Watkins thrown to on Sunday?

Two times.

Me too BBF. I hated the trade at the time but I no longer do, not that I love it mind you.

My opinion? The kid is a super talent and the lack of production is probably due to injuries. I am guessing that he was acting as mostly a decoy vs. the Colts. I cannot think of another reason not to use someone with his obvious talent, can you?

Not giving this week's opponent any extra clues on how Roman will use him. :unsure:

I cant believe I even read this thread.

Do you know how bad our offense would be without Watkins?

We would have no true #1 WR, Woods/Harvin would be double teamed, there would be 8 in the box

Even if Sammy isnt getting a lot of catches, just having him on the field demands respect from the oposing team

CBF

I understand the frustration and the desire to see more production from Sammy. He is supposedly and elite talent and a game breaker and fans want to see him used in such a way that allows him to demonstrate that talent. Other team do that with their elite players. As to the question of "why so much focus on getting the ball to Sammy instead of just throwing to the open receiver"? My answer would be because Sammy is supposed to be able to make big plays happen with the ball in his hands so I want to see the team get the ball in his hands. I will say that, from my seats in the stadium, I didn't think Sammy was double covered that much. They rolled the safety to his side of the field sometimes but the safety stayed away and let the DB single cover Sammy.

At this point, this is a total non-issue for me. Lots of games left on the schedule. We got a big win against Indy. Tyrod hasn't had much chance to develop chemistry with any of the receivers yet. Lets give it 5-6 more games before being concerned with Watkins' production.

I won't even get into the 'cost' of acquiring Sammy, LOL. That's been argued over and over.

This place is the worst.

I know, I hate when the people here say things I didn't say.

Edited by FireChan

Peyton Manning(Future 1st Ballot HoF), Jim Kelly(1st Ballot HoF), Joe Montana/Steve Young(2 1st ballot HoF), just a freak, he'd have made me look good. Sammy has had Fitzy(?), EJ, Orton & Tyrod

I agree with the poster. The best receivers in the game get open regardless of coverage. Marvin Harrison. Andre. Jerry Rice. Calvin Johnson. Etc. They all get/got doubled. Even tripled on occasion and still caught footballs. Sammy needs to step it up in the next couple of weeks or its gonna start being an issue.

Personally I would rather see wins then Madden like Fantasy numbers from any Bills player. They draft players for one reason, to win! Hell I had Sammy in my fantasy team, and lost by .03 points. One catch and I would have won, but I'd rather have a Bills win any day. Would Sammy be more appreciated if he went 9 for 120 yards and a TD in a losing effort? It's all about the W baby!

So many homers here with Rose colored glasses. Gets a little nauseating. Dont you dare criticize anyone on my team which , BTW, hasnt made the playoffs in fifteen years. Great win last week but its one week. The criticism of Watkins, considering what we gave up, is fair.

Thanks for trolling through....

trolling.jpg

Why would you force the ball to the guy who is double covered, instead of throwing to the guys who are open due to being single covered by lesser quality players?

Who said force the ball into double coverage while others are wide open?

Are there not a variety of ways to create space and matchups? Could Sammy have gotten some of those looks Percy got motioning out of the backfield? Carries? Rub routes designed for him? Even as is he wasn't always in impenetrable double coverage every snap.

Think of it this way: if he's so much better that he is getting the top cb AND safety help, why would we not want to work hard to manufacture touches for a guy that's considered that talented?

Yea, i said that too :D

I think the OP is bummed because he took him in his fantasy draft, and started him only to see him get a 0 for the start. The OP needs to realize that this teams offensive scheme is designed to be a dominate run team with 30+ rushes a game and around 20 passes so the QB can just manage it. My advice is to bench Sammy until TT starts finding him on a regular basis every game. I drafted him in one league, and didn't start him. He sits until things change.

Playing devil's advocate here, then why go and trade up for Sammy if this was going to be how you run your system...the better pick would have been the best OL available or trading out for other talent. I like Sammy but agree that the best WRs in the game find ways. Its week 1 and I am not panicking but I bet Sammy ain't happy...

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

1. He was covered by one of the best corners in the league

2. He was double covered.

3. He is hurt.

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

6. He is a better decoy.

7. Rex likes to run.

I agree but I place more of the blame on the coaching staff. They need to do a better job of designing ways to get him the ball. They can't just let the other team "take him away" any time they want by bracketing him or placing a good CB on him. If that's all it took to neutralize a great WR then players like Jerry Rice would have similar numbers to Sammy. I wonder if Gronkoswki is ever double teamed or bracketed? How has that worked out?

Who said force the ball into double coverage while others are wide open?

Are there not a variety of ways to create space and matchups? Could Sammy have gotten some of those looks Percy got motioning out of the backfield? Carries? Rub routes designed for him? Even as is he wasn't always in impenetrable double coverage every snap.

Think of it this way: if he's so much better that he is getting the top cb AND safety help, why would we not want to work hard to manufacture touches for a guy that's considered that talented?

Because it's riskier than giving the ball to Woods or Harvin in single coverage.

Some of you are right: Antonio brown, Demaryious, Julio, Dez, OBJ, Calvin, Jordy always seem to catch at least 6 balls a game.

Who are the QBs throwing them the ball? Not Tyrod Taylor. Not Kyle Orton. Locked in and potential hall of fame QBs. Taylor shouldn't be forcing the ball into double coverage. If Sammy switched spots with any of those WRs he'd be getting those catches as well.