Our old friend Jairus Byrd

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Doug Whaley has no business running an NFL franchise. As some astute posters here point out, his personnel decisions are terrible. The Bills will never recover from losing Kelvin Sheppard to the Colts for Jerry Hughes.

Doug Whaley tried very hard to sign Byrd and offered him a significant amount of money.

I see you've taken up your rearguard station and you're already in midseason form!

All I can say is I told you so.

That PF injury he faked in Buffalo is an overuse injury...it comes on over weeks and is painful to train on...and for it to be a 6-8 week thing (whatever it was), he would have been abusing it day in and day out fow weeks on end. He did not abuse himself that way while sitting out in a contract dispute. Players use the off-season to heal, not abuse chronic injuries.

I said as much then, and was told I didn't "KNOW" because I wasn't in his body. That much is true, but what is also true is that his story did not add up at all...and it was a little disappointing that no one in the Buffalo sports media could take the time to learn more about the typical etiology of that injury and injury and report it. I was told by one of the many reviled BN writers that you're really on shaky ground when you start accusing players of not being in pain, so he was not going there.

Fine, but the fact remains that everything about that situation pointed to him faking the injury. So all i can say to the Saints organization is ha-effing-ha.

11 million.

On Sportrac, looks like his $6m roster bonus for 2015 was converted to signing bonus ...and he his $16m in dead cap if they cut him...I think I am reading that correct

Man, I don't know what kind of injury settlement they can come with to get out of that. I would thinkntheyvare stuck.

Giving a massive bonus and guaranteed money to any player is a gamble.

At least trading Jimmy Graham to help pay Byrd, oops

to be fair, they traded jimmy because he was upset with the team and allegedly coasting at times. they gave the seahawks a bargain, having paid a huge portion of his contract already and got to miss out on all the value in it.

On Sportrac, looks like his $6m roster bonus for 2015 was converted to signing bonus ...and he his $16m in dead cap if they cut him...I think I am reading that correct

Man, I don't know what kind of injury settlement they can come with to get out of that. I would thinkntheyvare stuck.

honest question - have we ever seen an injury settlement on a guy that is a certifiable starter? i know you see them a lot with $600k guys, but not anyone with a real salary that i can remember.

to be fair, they traded jimmy because he was upset with the team and allegedly coasting at times. they gave the seahawks a bargain, having paid a huge portion of his contract already and got to miss out on all the value in it.

honest question - have we ever seen an injury settlement on a guy that is a certifiable starter? i know you see them a lot with $600k guys, but not anyone with a real salary that i can remember.

browns just did it this week with Phil Taylor. I think it was 4-5 mill. It is unusual though. Edited by YoloinOhio

Doug Whaley tried very hard to sign Byrd and offered him a significant amount of money.

I see you've taken up your rearguard station and you're already in midseason form!

I think the point here is he didn't overpay for Byrd, which obviously is a personnel decision.

browns just did it this week with Phil Taylor. I think it was 4-5 mill. It is unusual though.

but the team is still stuck with the dead money right? I cant see Byrd giving beck any of the two signing bonuses that total $17M ...i mean they are just stuck it would seem

Yep and remember all those angry posters that attacked Whaley and the Bills for letting him walk. Even after a a very substantial offer on the table

Probably the same group of ax grinders jumping on the Anti-Whaley train now after the FJ cut

you fools will be proven wrong again

The Byrd is proving to be a Turd

I think most players get into the league wanting to play great, win SBs, and make the HOF.

I think Byrd's goal is to retire a rich, healthy, uninjured young man.

Considering the sad shape some former players are in by the time they hit 50, who's the fool? Byrd, or the guys who sacrifice their bodies and brains, and who are forgotten by most fans a few years after they're cut?

Has Whaley walked on water yet? Just curious.

Yep and remember all those angry posters that attacked Whaley and the Bills for letting him walk. Even after a a very substantial offer on the table

Probably the same group of ax grinders jumping on the Anti-Whaley train now after the FJ cut

I love love fest's!!!!😆

Not like people can predict what will happen. Some didn't want him some did.

Well predicting what happens is a GMs job. You would think a good one is plugged into the player's psyche and has a sense of who's a baller and who's just there for the paycheck.

I can't understand why some Bills fans feel the need to bash Byrd. He played well for us. Whaley obviously made the right call in not re-signing him. It's a business and he's looking out for his own well being.

I can only speak for myself.

I bash him because he faked injury in order not to play. He screwed his teammates over with big EFF YOU and didn't bat an eye.

I had no problem with him going for more $$. It's what he's supposed to do. But he handled it like a B word.

I can't speak for everyone, but I was one of the few staunch defenders of the decision to let Tyrd walk and I'm not happy with Whaley for dropping Fred. I think you may have this backwards.

The exception that proves the rule

Ha ha, it was sarcasm. People always complain that "we let all of our good players go" and almost all of the guys that go, get worse. Marshawn is the exception (and there were other reasons that he left) Byrd is the rule. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ha ha, it was sarcasm. People always complain that "we let all of our good players go" and almost all of the guys that go, get worse. Marshawn is the exception (and there were other reasons that he left) Byrd is the rule.

Antoine and Fat Pat may argue with this.

I figured that you guys would be interested in following this saga here:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/new-orleans-saints/is-jarius-byrd-medically-cleared-but-refusing-to-play/58516826/

I was not surprised too much that, when he left the team, the Bills defense improved. While he made some great plays at times, I think he was never quite the talent everyone made him out to be.

I was not surprised too much that, when he left the team, the Bills defense improved. While he made some great plays at times, I think he was never quite the talent everyone made him out to be.

Same exact thing can be said (and be accurate) about Alonso.

The Whaley criticisms are ridiculous.

Looking back, he was a smart and talented player, but kind of a "me first" player. Always looking for the big int, but was never a big hitter or anything awesome like that. Here as a Bill though, the guy sure could jump a route.

Antoine and Fat Pat may argue with this.

Again, you can include London Fletcher as well. Go back to the start of free agency and look at every guy that the Bills let go and tell me what percentage were better on their next team? Pat and Fletcher were more cap casualties as the elected to pay Schobel of the 3. I will bet that no more than 20% were better at their next stop and if you were to take out guys cut strictly for cap reasons the number is about half of that. Somehow the narrative on here is that the Bills let every good player go. In fact, someone on here a month ago said that they let 99% of their good players go. The reality is the Bills have probably been right about 4 out 5.

Agreed, he was a ballhawk but could not support the run and was soft. He had some ability but not a lot of heart.

I just read an article about Byrd and it also mentioned that Spiller has yet to play in a preseason game and hasnt practiced in weeks

I did not know that

CBF

I think spiller is a guy you keep on the shelf until game day. He doesn't run too many fancy plays or pick up blitzes. You either sweep left, sweep right or toss a swing/screen. In all cases you just want him to run downfield as fast as he can.

Remember how bent out of shape everyone was when the Bills didn't re-sign him?

No. Many were against the signing with some saying the Bills should do everything they can to put him on PUP list and do what they can to prevent him from acquiring year of service.

I just remember you not knowing what the word everyone means.

I can't understand why some Bills fans feel the need to bash Byrd. He played well for us. Whaley obviously made the right call in not re-signing him. It's a business and he's looking out for his own well being.

No he didn't for a part of his career; he objected to being tagged and then basically did not play his final year. If he did not like the contract the NFLPA negotiated he should have taken NFLPA to court and get compensation there rather than sitting out.

No. Many were against the signing with some saying the Bills should do everything they can to put him on PUP list and do what they can to prevent him from acquiring year of service.

I just remember you not knowing what the word everyone means.

No he didn't for a part of his career; he objected to being tagged and then basically did not play his final year. If he did not like the contract the NFLPA negotiated he should have taken NFLPA to court and get compensation there rather than sitting out.

He played in 11 games his final year here IIRC.

I was pro byrd, too.

A miniscus doesn't take 11+ months to heal.

oh i know, unless there were some crazy complications. but it doesnt seem the case. i wont knock him for missed time last year.

this year though -- if its all mental, its a big issue.

Edited by NoSaint

That dude won the lottery his rookie year with all those tipped passes falling into his hands, some of them skill related but the other half dumb luck as evidenced by the rest of his career after that lucky first year.

Sucks for the Saints. They now have CJ and Byrd and all of their ailments. I'm praying CJ gets healthy this season and gives them their money's worth, they're great fans and Spiller is a great dude.

That dude won the lottery his rookie year with all those tipped passes falling into his hands, some of them skill related but the other half dumb luck as evidenced by the rest of his career after that lucky first year.

Sucks for the Saints. They now have CJ and Byrd and all of their ailments. I'm praying CJ gets healthy this season and gives them their money's worth, they're great fans and Spiller is a great dude.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.