Our old friend Jairus Byrd

Kirby Jackson

I'm sadly not surprised. Count Jairus among the guys who are very good but don't have a strong desire to play the game. Does that make him smart? Probably. Does that probably help his well-being longer term? Most likely. Does that make him the kind of player you want to invest a lot of money in? Probably not. I think we dodged a bullet here -- and I was mad that they didn't pay him.

Fact is that we don't know a lot about player personalities, what goes on day-in, day-out, etc.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when a few of us heard the term "hypochondriac" in relation to Byrd. Not surprising but sucks for NO.

Yeah, this does suck for the Saints. Not only will they lose a quality player in Byrd, but it is another nut shot to their cap situation (which was already dismal). Nice move by Whaley to let this guy walk.

Recap:

Says that he is healthy but not wanting to return.

-His meniscus has healed and he has been medically cleared but not participating. He is not on PUP.

Says he is not fully recovered from the injury due to the mental aspect of it.

Strong conversations saying he is not wanting to play anymore.

Strong speculation and rumors seem worthwhile and well put stating that he is attempting to retire.

Wow. Whaley going rogue sure helped the Bills dodge this bullet.

Recap:

-His meniscus has healed and he has been medically cleared but not participating. He is not on PUP.

Strong speculation and rumors seem worthwhile and well put stating that he is attempting to retire.

Much appreciated.

Recap:

So like, if he is attempting to retire, WTF is stopping him? Retire already!

I remember when people were convinced Byrd was using his injury as an excuse not to play because of his contract. I find that kind of speculation offensive, unless you have real solid proof.

So, I will engage in a little unsubstantiated speculation, because I feel like offending myself today. Perhaps Byrd is just REALLY protective of his body, and thinks he knows what is best for him, physically. That is pretty unusual for a football player, as they are constantly playing through pain, and minor injuries. And for that reason, being too reluctant to play with discomfort isn't a very good characteristic for an NFL player. So he may not be faking it, or jaking it, or...whatever. He just might be a bit of a pu$$y when it comes to playing with pain.

Recap:

He just wanted his payday! Glad we didn't cut the check.

I remember when people were convinced Byrd was using his injury as an excuse not to play because of his contract. I find that kind of speculation offensive, unless you have real solid proof.

So, I will engage in a little unsubstantiated speculation, because I feel like offending myself today. Perhaps Byrd is just REALLY protective of his body, and thinks he knows what is best for him, physically. That is pretty unusual for a football player, as they are constantly playing through pain, and minor injuries. And for that reason, being too reluctant to play with discomfort isn't a very good characteristic for an NFL player. So he may not be faking it, or jaking it, or...whatever. He just might be a bit of a pu$$y when it comes to playing with pain.

It's amazing how it cleared right up when he hit Free Agency. Then after getting a bunch of guaranteed money...

I agree with this theory. I don't think he is faking anything. I think he probably milks these injuries though.