What's The Chance We Keep MD The Dr. Of Defense 99% ?

I was wondering what the Bills fans think is the chance that after this season we will see MD the Bills Dr. of defense Marcel Dareus in a Bills Uni ?

If we go with the history of the Bills resigning our big stars i would say it is 99% that he will not be in a Bills uni next year which really sucks !! But with all that has changed at One Bills Dr. maybe this will be a first !!

I wish there was a way we could go back before free agency when you could build a dynasty & keep all your great players because i could see this team being a major force (And winning a SB) for a LONG time with all the talent on this team .

But we can't due to FA so i guess we have to hope the Bills FO watched other teams that have had a bunch of success in keeping their players & just enjoy it while we can !!

I guess alls we can hope for is that he likes playing in B/lo with his team mates more than the $$ & decides to give the Bills a home town discount --- which with what they gave Suh i just ain't see in it but i can hope along with other fans that WHALEY / OVERDORF can get it done !!

Go Bills !!

I was wondering what the Bills fans think is the chance that after this season we will see MD the Bills Dr. of defense Marcel Dareus in a Bills Uni ?

If we go with the history of the Bills resigning our big stars i would say it is 99% that he will not be in a Bills uni next year which really sucks !! But with all that has changed at One Bills Dr. maybe this will be a first !!

I wish there was a way we could go back before free agency when you could build a dynasty & keep all your great players because i could see this team being a major force (And winning a SB) for a LONG time with all the talent on this team .

But we can't due to FA so i guess we have to hope the Bills FO watched other teams that have had a bunch of success in keeping their players & just enjoy it while we can !!

I guess alls we can hope for is that he likes playing in B/lo with his team mates more than the $$ & decides to give the Bills a home town discount --- which with what they gave Suh i just ain't see in it but i can hope along with other fans that WHALEY / OVERDORF can get it done !!

Go Bills !!

I don't mean to be "that guy" but I try to be the hyperbole police around here. In the FA era the Bills have re-signed a lot of their best players (Schobel, Moulds, Ruben Brown, Moorman, McGee, Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson off the top of my head). I would bet that it is right in line with most other teams.

While its understandable to be excited about what the future holds the Bills never lost "99%" of their best players. What guys that they should have re-signed went on to be better players at their next stops? They would have loved to have kept Pat Williams, Winfield and Fletcher but there were cap constraints. They were good players here and at their next stops. I can't think of many guys that they were wrong about. Can you imagine if they would have given $48M or whatever it was to Andy Levitre??

As to the original question Dareus will be re-signed (or tagged if they can't get a deal done).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think there is no question about it that he will be extended. I think the Bills do it before the season but try to wait more towards camp to make sure the let him sweat some and want him to come in to camp and the season in great shape ready to knock heads around.

So then no Mario Williams on the team, cross out Clay, Harvins, Graham, Gray, Dixon, Felton, Rambo to name a few. Did we even draft Kyle Wiliams and Bradham?? Without FA not sure even some of the trades would have happened either as often were dependednt on another team signing another player which made the first one expendable, so maybe no McCoy, Hughes, seems like there's another trade I'm forgetting. Likely too if the team does look better this seaosn, we'll be more in the mix of signing better FA's too in the future if we choose to.

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch, on 21 Jul 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

So then no Mario Williams on the team, cross out Clay, Harvins, Graham, Gray, Dixon, Felton, Rambo to name a few. Did we even draft Kyle Wiliams and Bradham?? Without FA not sure even some of the trades would have happened either as often were dependednt on another team signing another player which made the first one expendable, so maybe no McCoy, Hughes, seems like there's another trade I'm forgetting. Likely too if the team does look better this seaosn, we'll be more in the mix of signing better FA's too in the future if we choose to.

Williams 5th round, Bradham 4th round. I think, if recent quotes from Marcell are any indication, he will try hard to stay. He realizes where he is, in relation to his teammates on the line, and the opportunities moving forward.

Sorry dude, but that's where I stopped reading. The one thing the new administration HAS DONE (since Nix came on board) is re-sign our own players.

It would certainly NOT be a first.

Especially considering we just inked up Jerry Hughes coming off of his rookie contract. Not to mention the extensions for McKelvin, Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Eric Wood, Steve Johnson, Fred Jackson. And the reports that we are in talks with Bradham's camp.

Time to change your perspective on the Bills' FO.

Given all of that, plus the fact that Dareus is our highest draft pick in decades, plus his performance... I'm 99.99% sure he stays a Bill.

Edited by DrDareustein

Go Bills !!

He's not giving a "Hometown discount," he will get paid what he's worth, either in Buffalo or elsewhere.

The "hometown discount" thing is so overplayed. That's for someone like Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams, and even they didn't give any kind of discount.

I hate having to decide between Mario and Marcel, but I know it is indeed a very legit decision, as the team has a finite amount of money they can spend. I think Mario is signed for another 3 years. I would love to see him retire a Bill, as he really seems to have ingrained himself into western NY and is a hard worker, not just a showy guy. Say we owe him 50 million more for the next 3 years... what are the chances we extend him 3 more years beyond that, to spread that money out more, and maybe he retires after 5. There has to be a rule against that, but I don't like the idea of cutting Mario out, and in 2-3 years not having both him AND Kyle. Darius and Jerry are still very good, but they are GREAT because of the skill around them.

He's not giving a "Hometown discount," he will get paid what he's worth, either in Buffalo or elsewhere.

The "hometown discount" thing is so overplayed. That's for someone like Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams, and even they didn't give any kind of discount.

So you think Jerry Hughes would not have been paid more by anyone else because I don't think he is on the Fred Jackson/Kyle Williams level of loyalty?

I think there is at least some discount for being on a potentially historic D line/Defense. There is a risk assessment at the heart of this. How much less he would consider is the real question I would think. I think he will command top dollar but not Suh money.

I hate having to decide between Mario and Marcel, but I know it is indeed a very legit decision, as the team has a finite amount of money they can spend. I think Mario is signed for another 3 years. I would love to see him retire a Bill, as he really seems to have ingrained himself into western NY and is a hard worker, not just a showy guy. Say we owe him 50 million more for the next 3 years... what are the chances we extend him 3 more years beyond that, to spread that money out more, and maybe he retires after 5. There has to be a rule against that, but I don't like the idea of cutting Mario out, and in 2-3 years not having both him AND Kyle. Darius and Jerry are still very good, but they are GREAT because of the skill around them.

They won't be cutting Mario to keep Dareus. It will be a restructure. The guy that you may end up losing is probably Cordy Glenn.

I say keep Glenn and ditch Bradham, if possible.

Position Importance-wise, I might agree. But for a team that is already bumping up against the cap, it's much cheaper to keep a LB than it is a LT. Glenn's contract might be double what Bradham's is. That puts him on the outs right there.

The Bills have about 7.3 Mm in dead cap money so they have done a very good job of managing this number down. To the point of a few in this thread the Bills almost have to renegotiate Mario Williams deal in order to get something done with Marcel. This could be the reason for the delay. We all might assume Mario is willing to do a new deal but perhaps not.

Most decent teams are paying a QB a $100 million contract. PLUS they have a few other great players who are getting paid.

The Bills are a while away from any QB getting paid, so they can afford both Mario and Dareus.

Even if the Bills find the next diamond in the rough at QB it will be years before they will have to pay him.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Who would y'all prefer;

Mario or Marcel?

Imo

Even at 30 I'm going Mario

Is that supposed to be your nickname for him?

Im glad you said something... i wasn like i missed that one lol. I was afraid

They won't be cutting Mario to keep Dareus. It will be a restructure. The guy that you may end up losing is probably Cordy Glenn.

Perfectly fine with that

I say keep Glenn and ditch Bradham, if possible.

May i ask why?

I would keep Mario , Dareus , Glenn , Bradham and Gilmore

If I had to cut for salary cap , Chris Williams , Fred (sorry , make a coach) , Cassel (depends on preseason), Harvin (yet to see) after 1 year

If a company offers me 3 million more, I'd say my loyalties shift awfully quick. I don't care who I am working with for a couple years...Also, discounts would be good if I were playing for a team in Sunny San Diego because I would feel so pleased to be in such a beautiful place - even if you don't allow me a portable fridge in the locker room. If you want me to stay here in the snow, better get your checkbook out.

The front office has said that resigning Darius is a priority, and they hope to get it done before training camp. Since the change in ownership they have signed everyone they said that they were planning to sign, it might have taken a little longer than expected a few times but they got it done. I don't see why this situation would be any different.

Maybe we're getting a little bored in the offseason?

If a company offers me 3 million more, I'd say my loyalties shift awfully quick. I don't care who I am working with for a couple years...Also, discounts would be good if I were playing for a team in Sunny San Diego because I would feel so pleased to be in such a beautiful place - even if you don't allow me a portable fridge in the locker room. If you want me to stay here in the snow, better get your checkbook out.

3 million over the course of the contract or per year. One is ~3% increase the other is ~30% increase (for MD's contract). There are players who have decided to forgo the small increase to stay where they are successful. This past offseason one of those players was from GB (granted it was Buffalo not SD trying to pry him away with more money). I really think players consider their future success when making these decisions.

May i ask why?

Gotta score points right? Glenn is not only the best piece on a (quite possibly) mediocre OL, he's also the best piece of a (quite possibly) dismal OT group. Take Glenn away and this line could be a disaster.

Bradham is another young homegrown player, who came into the league with a lot of faults and has wowed all of us with his progress. He plays both run and pass at least reasonably well. He can play nickel, I'd think. He's a good football player. All that said, I think if we were to lose him at the beginning of an offseason we could find the next man up. I consider Ryan a defensive mastermind and Whaley seems to have an aptitude for finding linebackers. It really wouldn't concern me very much.

But to lose Glenn from a group I'm already concerned about...

Position Importance-wise, I might agree. But for a team that is already bumping up against the cap, it's much cheaper to keep a LB than it is a LT. Glenn's contract might be double what Bradham's is. That puts him on the outs right there.

I hear ya Doc, and that's why I said if possible

If I had to choose, would have to be Dareus. I love Mario, I have a adult sized Mario/Bills costume my mother made...just to make my point.

But Dareus could be great for another 6-7 years, Mario may have a couple.

wait wait wait wait wait - what!

pictures please!

Manuel.

He is with us; He is among us

Imo

Rather keep both and dump some of the overpaid employees in front office; I am sure the janitorial department could use some trimming.

Let's start with Chris the trainer...

Imo

Edited by Leroi