Bills OL coach Aaron Kromer arrested (Suspended 6 games)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if theyre black and in a hoody

*stirs the pot*

Only if they attack you first.

Police report says the incident happened between 11:30 PM and 12:42 AM

So then, the "it was dark" defense is in play.

I suppose the question would be, is that from a punch? Or was Aaron trying to take a chair back and tried grabbing it and the "kid" didn't let go and there was a bit of back and forth and he got knocked in the face in the back forth struggle.

Not saying the kid is lying but this whole account thus far is from him, after the fact.

i agree. We only know one side of the story at this point. I'd expect him to plead not guilty and go for a plea deal. That is if he is formally charged, which hasn't been decided yet. The link I posted last night from Sal about the legal process in FL said there could be increased, decreased, or no charges coming after the case is reviewed.

i agree. We only know one side of the story at this point. I'd expect him to plead not guilty and go for a plea deal. That is if he is formally charged, which hasn't been decided yet. The link I posted last night from Sal about the legal process in FL said there could be increased, decreased, or no charges coming after the case is reviewed.

I expect that he'll plead as well, just because it's likely to be a slap on the wrist . It's pretty much a slam dunk that he gave a minor a black eye, but stopping a group of thieves, on your property, in the middle of the night while using force that was not endangering anyone's life or risking serious injury is a pretty mitigating factor. The more I hear, the more Kromer seems sympathetic.

That is if he is formally charged, which hasn't been decided yet.

It will be hard for a prosecutor to file on this with only hearsay allegations from the kids. An arrest in and of itself doesn't prove anything. Cops often arrest people just to diffuse situations knowing the person will be kicked shortly after they get through booking, as Kromer was.

At this point, the only certainty is that the parents are lining up for a civil suit, which is as American as Apple Pie and Lipitor...

As I've said, I can only assume he thought Rapoport wouldn't use the story. Which was dumb admittedly. I doubt he ran to Rapoport so as to reveal it to the world.

Are you kidding? Then you keep it off the record. These guys know how it works. He obviously wanted it out there that he was questioning Cutler's decision making so he could justify benching Cutler in favor of...Jimmy Clausen!

Or the guy who tried to spin "deflate" as "losing weight." Although this is infinitely more plausible than that excuse was.

You might be right.

Most of these people guffawing at Kromer would be using every defense possible to get themselves out of a predicament like this. So much for giving people with no prior history of legal problems second chances.

He will get a plea deal down from the misdemeanor battery.

After getting dumped from that trainwreck of an offensive coaching staff in Chicago, Kromer got his second chance....from Rex.

It will be hard for a prosecutor to file on this with only hearsay allegations from the kids. An arrest in and of itself doesn't prove anything. Cops often arrest people just to diffuse situations knowing the person will be kicked shortly after they get through booking, as Kromer was.

At this point, the only certainty is that the parents are lining up for a civil suit, which is as American as Apple Pie and Lipitor...

They do it all the time--and it's obviously their allegations aren't "hearsay". One is an alleged victim. The others are witnesses.

Edited by Mr. WEO

They do it all the time--and it's obviously their allegations aren't "hearsay". One is an alleged victim. The others are witnesses.

He said, she said. Prosecutors only bring slam dunks to trial and the word of three minors doesn't carry much water. Especially if Kromer brings his own, contradictory story line into the mix...

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150620/NEWS/150629947

Edited by Lurker

He said, she said. Prosecutors only bring slam dunks to trial and the word of three minors doesn't carry much water. Especially if Kromer brings his own, contradictory story line into the mix...

The poster said their account is "hearsay".. It's clearly not.

And it's not about bringing cases to trial, it's about getting convictions--usually through plea deals. This will never go to court. Everyone knows it.

The key here is Kromer's son. He saw it all. If these kids attacked his father, I doubt he would stick around to help them find their gear--unless he is ready to deny that.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I agree. Kromer probably wants this over with as quickly and quietly as possible for his career's sake. Few prosecutors are going to take a hard line for a misdemeanor offense when the defense is "It was dark, and there were people on my property and they were stealing/defacing my furniture. They'd done it before. So I lost my temper and hit one. What was I supposed to do, let them rob me while I wait for the cops to roll up an hour later so they can file a report under "Let's go and work on important cases"?"

I'm not saying that is the case, but I doubt you can get 12 jurors to completely disagree.

Bobby Carpenter on our local radio show said he was staying 2 miles from where this happened last week. He said the way it works is you pay for a set of chairs for each week (?) and using other people's chairs is like stealing. Not that it justifies kromer punching the person but whatever. He also said he knows him well and when asked if he could see him doing something like this he said "yes" and laughed. Not that it means anything, just an anecdote.

I agree. Kromer probably wants this over with as quickly and quietly as possible for his career's sake. Few prosecutors are going to take a hard line for a misdemeanor offense when the defense is "It was dark, and there were people on my property and they were stealing/defacing my furniture. They'd done it before. So I lost my temper and hit one. What was I supposed to do, let them rob me while I wait for the cops to roll up an hour later so they can file a report under "Let's go and work on important cases"?"

I'm not saying that is the case, but I doubt you can get 12 jurors to completely disagree.

You're hired!

Are you kidding? Then you keep it off the record. These guys know how it works. He obviously wanted it out there that he was questioning Cutler's decision making so he could justify benching Cutler in favor of...Jimmy Clausen!

You might be right.

He will get a plea deal down from the misdemeanor battery.

After getting dumped from that trainwreck of an offensive coaching staff in Chicago, Kromer got his second chance....from Rex.

I assume he thought it would be off the record. But looking to put it out there to bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen? Seriously?

And the guy is not an OC. Although Cutler didn't do him any favors.

And it's not about bringing cases to trial, it's about getting convictions--usually through plea deals. This will never go to court. Everyone knows it.

The key here is Kromer's son. He saw it all. If these kids attacked his father, I doubt he would stick around to help them find their gear--unless he is ready to deny that.

Why? Chances are high that both sides were very wrong, and Kromer's kid was trying to diffuse the part where they may go to the cops because his dad punched one and may have threatened him.

In the 24 hours since this story broke I've come to the conclusion I don't really care whether this guy is coaching the Bills' OL or not -- but I keep coming back for the jokes.

It's not like our blocking can get any worse, so no big deal, right? haha

How so? How are the statements of three minors going to pass the "reasonable doubt" threshold to make this worth prosecuting?

“The police are looking at cases based upon probable cause, which is a lesser standard than is used at trial. That standard is reasonable doubt and is much higher and one that has been used since the beginning of the criminal justice system,”

How so? How are the statements of three minors going to pass the "reasonable doubt" threshold to make this worth prosecuting?

The police are looking at cases based upon probable cause, which is a lesser standard than is used at trial. That standard is reasonable doubt and is much higher and one that has been used since the beginning of the criminal justice system,

That's not the definition of hearsay.

Also...the statements of the minors - and everyone else - were redacted from the police report. We have one statement, from the arresting officer.

I assume he thought it would be off the record. But looking to put it out there to bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen? Seriously?

And the guy is not an OC. Although Cutler didn't do him any favors.

There is no way he didn't know it would be printed. They were going to bench Cutler for Clausen. There is no other reason to undercut Cutler to the press.

No, he's no OC, for sure. And is there evidence that he's a top O-line coach?

Why? Chances are high that both sides were very wrong, and Kromer's kid was trying to diffuse the part where they may go to the cops because his dad punched one and may have threatened him.

"Did your father push this kid down and punch him in the face and then threaten to kill his family if he went to the cops?" If he says yes, yes and yes, it's case closed, I would think. The proscecutor (no grand jury here) doesn't care if these kids were scarfing Kromer's rented beach chairs. No one has leaked any arguement of self defense, so this is simple battery.

That's not the definition of hearsay.

Also...the statements of the minors - and everyone else - were redacted from the police report. We have one statement, from the arresting officer.

As Tom says, their account cannot be considered hearsay--they were there to give frist hand accounts.

There is no way he didn't know it would be printed. They were going to bench Cutler for Clausen. There is no other reason to undercut Cutler to the press.

No, he's no OC, for sure. And is there evidence that he's a top O-line coach?

guys like bushrod, evans, carl nicks, goodwin, strief, etc... reflect pretty well on the guy.

As Tom says, their account cannot be considered hearsay--they were there to give frist hand accounts.

OK. Semantics (and technical letter of the law definitions) aside, how much weight do statements from three minors (who may or may not be credible witnesses) have in meeting a "burden of proof" prosecutorial threshold?

They have been as good since he left. Also, the Bills are the 4th team he has been O-line coach for.

they have all been mid to late round draft picks when he started.

and evans has struggled, nicks was a massive flop in tampa and is out of the league, goodwin didnt play well particularly well when he went to SF, bushrod followed him to chicago..... so.... i know you can do better than that.

also the bills are only the second team he has held that title, though he was OC in chicago and asst offensive line in oakland and tampa i believe.

Edited by NoSaint

OK. Semantics (and technical letter of the law definitions) aside, how much weight do statements from three minors (who may or may not be credible witnesses) have in meeting a "burden of proof" prosecutorial threshold?

One of the kids has a shiner. Unless Kromer can credibly say he was defending himself (or unless someone can successfully cripple the credibility of 3 witnesses and conclude the kid was never hit by Kroemr), the burden of proof (Any actual and intentional touching or striking of another person against that person's will (non-consensual), or. The intentional causing of bodily harm to another person) for the charge has been met.

they have all been mid to late round draft picks when he started.

and evans has struggled, nicks was a massive flop in tampa and is out of the league, goodwin didnt play well particularly well when he went to SF, bushrod followed him to chicago..... so.... i know you can do better than that.

also the bills are only the second team he has held that title, though he was OC in chicago and asst offensive line in oakland and tampa i believe.

His own wiki lists him as O-line coach for Raiders 2002-4. He was also hired as "offensive line coach and offensive coordinator" for the Bears when he got there in 2013, later handing over O-line duties to Pat Meyer.

His own wiki lists him as O-line coach for Raiders 2002-4. He was also hired as "offensive line coach and offensive coordinator" for the Bears when he got there in 2013, later handing over O-line duties to Pat Meyer.

Didn't the raiders go to the Superbowl in 2002?