Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person

major

I met Darryl talley in person and was disturbed. He was hitting on a way younger female while his wife and kids were about 5 yards away. I quickly said my thank you for the years he played for our bills and moved on.

Luckily, I've never had a bad experience with a Bill. Like with most "celebs", I just try to approach them as regular dudes. Also, as a grown man, don't ask for an autograph. Like a child or attractive female ask. I will say JP Losman was a sloppy mess the times I've met him. Once with a drink spilled all over his shirt. It was then I knew he wasn't going to be a star qb.

Also, when I was underage, I saw a bunch of Bills in certain Canadian establishments. They seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Never had a bad experience...met and chatted with Andre Reed, Jerry Ostroski, Doug Flutie, Darryl Talley and worked some with Kelly at the Gamblers in 1985...all really good people, all approachable.

Nicest interactions I have had were with Ralph Wilson at the 1997 owners meeting in Orlando -- got to give him a golf cart tour of Disney's Wide World of Sports thanks to my boss (former Bengals Linebacker Reggie Williams) at the time who knew I was a huge Bills fan. About 45 minutes just talking about his life and showing him what was then a state of the art multi-sport athletic complex.

Second was outside of the Bills. Was sitting in the Memphis airport waiting for a delayed flight and talking with Jerry Rice...simply just a wonderful person. Worked hard for everything he got and seemed like an obsessive perfectionist.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

This is kind of obscure but Melvin Fowler was an absolute jerk.

Really! He was one of my absolute favorites. He used to always stop by my counter or look for me when he would fly out. Be always said hi and knew me by name with no favors done.

Luckily, I've never had a bad experience with a Bill. Like with most "celebs", I just try to approach them as regular dudes. Also, as a grown man, don't ask for an autograph. Like a child or attractive female ask. I will say JP Losman was a sloppy mess the times I've met him. Once with a drink spilled all over his shirt. It was then I knew he wasn't going to be a star qb.

Also, when I was underage, I saw a bunch of Bills in certain Canadian establishments. They seemed to really enjoy themselves.

JP is very cocky. But i knew how to handle him

Really! He was one of my absolute favorites. He used to always stop by my counter or look for me when he would fly out. Be always said hi and knew me by name with no favors done.

Yeah, it's odd that he sticks out. I've gotten to know dozens of guys over the years and for the most part they are good guys. Fowler was rude, condescending & entitled. Of all guys it's a strange one to just stick out but he did. Ironically, Marshawn was one of my favorites at that particular time. He was really outgoing, fan friendly and just a people person.

Yeah, it's odd that he sticks out. I've gotten to know dozens of guys over the years and for the most part they are good guys. Fowler was rude, condescending & entitled. Of all guys it's a strange one to just stick out but he did. Ironically, Marshawn was one of my favorites at that particular time. He was really outgoing, fan friendly and just a people person.

I think Marshawn gets a bad rap. He's just a weird dude. Very funny and very friendly at times. And then he can be off putting at others. I find him hysterical but he did, um, get involved in a hit and run.

I live and work in Hollyweird and you see celebrities out at various times. They know they are in public for the most part, but people bug the **** out of them when they are trying to buy groceries or get gas or have a meal. It's amazing they are not more rude. Plus, if you meet one you don't know if they are having a good day or bad day like could happen to anyone. You meet them on a good day and you think they are awesome. You meet them on a bad day and you think they must be jerks.

I think Marshawn gets a bad rap. He's just a weird dude. Very funny and very friendly at times. And then he can be off putting at others. I find him hysterical but he did, um, get involved in a hit and run.

I live and work in Hollyweird and you see celebrities out at various times. They know they are in public for the most part, but people bug the **** out of them when they are trying to buy groceries or get gas or have a meal. It's amazing they are not more rude. Plus, if you meet one you don't know if they are having a good day or bad day like could happen to anyone. You meet them on a good day and you think they are awesome. You meet them on a bad day and you think they must be jerks.

True. Celebrity worship is pretty insane in our country especially.

What did Bruce do?

I've ran into him about 5 times down here in VB. To his defense, the first time I asked for a picture, like a dbag, but it was after he saw my bills tattoo. He said "no, I'm not taking a picture with your freaking tattoo." Looking back, I think I might not like myself any longer.

I've ran into him about 5 times down here in VB. To his defense, the first time I asked for a picture, like a dbag, but it was after he saw my bills tattoo. He said "no, I'm not taking a picture with your freaking tattoo." Looking back, I think I might not like myself any longer.

:lol::lol:

In the few times I have had the chance to talk to a player/owner, I assume the last thing they want to talk about is football..usually start the conversation with something else.

With Talley I talked about some Morgantown hangouts, with Flutie about Fred Lynn and Jim Rice and Yaz, with Ostroski about Tulsa and with Reed about a mutual friend we have...I think if you go in with the intent of just having a conversation like with anyone you meet, its better than focusing on celebrity.

Also, I would never interrupt a family event, a date, a meal, etc...all these situations were in airports and we happened to be in the rental car line together (Talley) or waiting for the same flight with time to kill (Ostroski, Flutie, Reed, Rice) ...I just would see it as too much of an intrusion to approach someone who was at a family event, on a date or with a group of friends. I agree Kelly--its almost asking for the person to be rude.

Gotta share one other one...I worked 15 years organizing Olympic style events (1985-99) around the world...it was a great start to a work career (I still have never felt like I have worked a day in my life)..I was working for Turner Broadcasting in 1994 on the Goodwill Games in St. Petersburg, RU..lots of stories from this one in that I lived in Russia basically half time for 18 months.

Ted's got lots of sports friends who came to Russia for the games. I go into the bathroom at Opening Ceremonies and I'm peeing next to Jerry Jones. Russia is not exactly known for its hygiene and the bathroom smells like much of St. Petersburg -- stale, old urine.. I turn to Jerry and I say -- I know where there's a ton of Lysol and nose plugs but you can't have any since your Cowboys keep killing my Bills..he howled and made me walk back with him to Ted's seats for opening ceremonies and Ted says -- Jerry meet my funniest and hardest working Goodwill Games staff member...and welcome to Russia....one of my proudest moments as a Bills fan, but I violated my don't interrupt celebrities when they are otherwise occupied rule...

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Never had a bad experience...met and chatted with Andre Reed, Jerry Ostroski, Doug Flutie, Darryl Talley and worked some with Kelly at the Gamblers in 1985...all really good people, all approachable.

Nicest interactions I have had were with Ralph Wilson at the 1997 owners meeting in Orlando -- got to give him a golf cart tour of Disney's Wide World of Sports thanks to my boss (former Bengals Linebacker Reggie Williams) at the time who knew I was a huge Bills fan. About 45 minutes just talking about his life and showing him what was then a state of the art multi-sport athletic complex.

Second was outside of the Bills. Was sitting in the Memphis airport waiting for a delayed flight and talking with Jerry Rice...simply just a wonderful person. Worked hard for everything he got and seemed like an obsessive perfectionist.

Not a former Bill, but what kind of a guy was Reggie Williams? I've read several glowing pieces on him, especially since he was one of the earliest and best Ivy League players to make it in the modern NFL. From your note there it sounds like he was a good dude, too, hopefully?

Not a former Bill, but what kind of a guy was Reggie Williams? I've read several glowing pieces on him, especially since he was one of the earliest and best Ivy League players to make it in the modern NFL. From your note there it sounds like he was a good dude, too, hopefully?

I learned so much from Reggie. I can't even begin to quantify. He was demanding and intense, but I tend to be that way as well. He had an effusive personality and was really likable 98% of the time. One of those people that just has a leadership presence. Best way I can describe it, I would have days where I would be cussing about him to my peers but the next day I would be defending his vision and passion to others. I worked for him for a year. We clashed some but had a great mutual respect. When I left to take another job, there was a package at my going away party, a personal gift from him. A regulation Bills helmet, two 1994 Bills Superbowl Champion t-shirts (yes the ones that usually end up in a 3rd world country) and private notes from he and Mr. Wilson. I treasure all these things to this day.

Its tough for me to give any perspective of him as a player or how he was when he played. The most amazing thing to me is that he was elected a city councilman in Cincy while still a player. I know him as a boss and saw him as a leader with vision. Have a great deal of love for him now and always will.

The last few years have not been kind to him. His body is a wreck from his playing career. He almost had to have a lower leg amputated, but typical Reggie he refused and is now successfully managing life with one leg about 2 - 3 inches shorter than another. He started to run again last month.

I met Darryl talley in person and was disturbed. He was hitting on a way younger female while his wife and kids were about 5 yards away. I quickly said my thank you for the years he played for our bills and moved on.

I ran into him "pregaming" out at a lake bar - in the parking lot - in '83. Somehow, I had words with him. No idea why but I know he was being a jerk............And, would have killed me.

Then over the years, two more friends had these types of encounters with him. It seemed like those were closer to actually getting in fights. And, each friend is tougher than the next. They would have at least given him a good fight.................But, even the bigger of the two said "I would have been honored to have my ass kicked by Darryl Talley" LOL

But, i don't think of any of the three of us would categorize DT as "Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person"

I learned so much from Reggie. I can't even begin to quantify. He was demanding and intense, but I tend to be that way as well. He had an effusive personality and was really likable 98% of the time. One of those people that just has a leadership presence. Best way I can describe it, I would have days where I would be cussing about him to my peers but the next day I would be defending his vision and passion to others. I worked for him for a year. We clashed some but had a great mutual respect. When I left to take another job, there was a package at my going away party, a personal gift from him. A regulation Bills helmet, two 1994 Bills Superbowl Champion t-shirts (yes the ones that usually end up in a 3rd world country) and private notes from he and Mr. Wilson. I treasure all these things to this day.

Its tough for me to give any perspective of him as a player or how he was when he played. The most amazing thing to me is that he was elected a city councilman in Cincy while still a player. I know him as a boss and saw him as a leader with vision. Have a great deal of love for him now and always will.

The last few years have not been kind to him. His body is a wreck from his playing career. He almost had to have a lower leg amputated, but typical Reggie he refused and is now successfully managing life with one leg about 2 - 3 inches shorter than another. He started to run again last month.

That's great to hear--thanks for sharing!

Doug Flutie. Self-centered !@#$.

I've met Jim Kelly three times. The first time, straight out of the USFL, he was a complete douche. The second time, around 1994, he was standoffish but not rude. The third time, about 15 years ago, he was polite, engaging, and downright friendly. I don't know which is the "real" Jim Kelly...but probably all three, since people not only act differently in different situations, but can change over time.

I know people who've run into Thurman Thomas in public. They always said he was a jerk...but really, their descriptions of his reactions always sounded more like he was uncomfortable with the attention than dismissive of it.

James Lofton was probably the nicest. Marcellus Wiley the funniest.

I never met any Bills that were jerks but I did get to know Mark Kelso and he is a class act. He use to come to our after game tailgate to visit with and talk about the game that was played that day. He once even took my handicapped nephews toy Bills helmet into the locker room to have it signed by all the coaches and players. My nephew was only around 5 or 6 at the time and is now 27 but he still has that very same helmet.

Gotta share one other one...I worked 15 years organizing Olympic style events (1985-99) around the world...it was a great start to a work career (I still have never felt like I have worked a day in my life)..I was working for Turner Broadcasting in 1994 on the Goodwill Games in St. Petersburg, RU..lots of stories from this one in that I lived in Russia basically half time for 18 months.

Ted's got lots of sports friends who came to Russia for the games. I go into the bathroom at Opening Ceremonies and I'm peeing next to Jerry Jones. Russia is not exactly known for its hygiene and the bathroom smells like much of St. Petersburg -- stale, old urine.. I turn to Jerry and I say -- I know where there's a ton of Lysol and nose plugs but you can't have any since your Cowboys keep killing my Bills..he howled and made me walk back with him to Ted's seats for opening ceremonies and Ted says -- Jerry meet my funniest and hardest working Goodwill Games staff member...and welcome to Russia....one of my proudest moments as a Bills fan, but I violated my don't interrupt celebrities when they are otherwise occupied rule...

Great story; hilarious!

Joe Devlin used to coach an old girlfriend's brother in summer league baseball (may even have been tee-ball, I think it was for ages ~12-14ish) over 20 years ago. He was an arrogant, rude, insufferable bastard who must have thought he was coaching professionals. He basically ruined the summer for those poor kids. Never had any interest in speaking with him personally because of how he came off.

Edited by transient

I've heard from multiple people I trust that have met Thurman Thomas and say he's a grade-A jerk.

Right after he was released and signed with the Dolphins I ran into him at Disney world, Thurman was super nice to me, he asked me questions about where I was from and was very engaging. I wished him luck with Miami and told him I was sad to see him leave, he told it was the business side of the sport, then thanked me.

On the flip side Bryce paup, he was a total D-bag! When he left, I was not sad.

Wow. Thats crazy. But i dont know of you have ever read my constant defense of Marshawns character. I really enjoyed him. His momis even better. But at that time Langston Walker was a regular too. He was super quiet and not really a talker. His mom asked me to show him around Buffalo and he is a few years older than me. I dont think i have ever had one I hated. I HEARD bad things about Ruben Brown but i haven't had a bad experience... HANDS DOWN NICEST ONE WAS LAWYER MILLOY

That's great to hear--thanks for sharing!

Matt, here is a couple year old USA Today story on the leg...

Side note, we'd work out together on Fridays and Saturdays (he made sure the Disney sports complex had an amazing weight/cardio room) -- he and former Stanford Track Coach Brooks Johnson would kick my ass -- I could only take two days a week with them. I had to go back to my wussy workouts the rest of the week.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2013/08/25/reggie-williams-cincinnati/2697069/

Only Bill I ever met in public was Mike Kadish at Pierce Arrow. I guess I was the jerk then when I said "Look, it's Fred Smerlas!!" since he didn't laugh. He was cool though for the few mins we talked to him.

John Fina. Total jerk. I was in a band and playing at Network back in the day. I weighed like 150 lbs as a drummer and the ahole bear hugged me and punched me in my arm when I said hello. Total meathead. He was also rude to my girl. Tough fresking second set.

I've met Jim Kelly three times. The first time, straight out of the USFL, he was a complete douche. The second time, around 1994, he was standoffish but not rude. The third time, about 15 years ago, he was polite, engaging, and downright friendly. I don't know which is the "real" Jim Kelly...but probably all three, since people not only act differently in different situations, but can change over time.

Yeah, it does sound like maybe it was a guy growing up over the years.

How the hell do I post a picture here? I've only been posting for 12 years. You'd think I'd know that. Anyway, My wife went to U of AZ. Met John Fina at a tailgate. Have a picture of him and I, and then he said "you want to try on my ring?" Great picture (minus my face being in it) wearing a bills AFC championship ring. Coolest guy ever.

Edited by stevestojan

I met Jim Kelly twice when I was much younger (while he was playing) and he was without a doubt the most arrogant person I'd ever met. I'm sure time and life has changed him but it was awful to find a hero so unlike able.

Steve Tasker on the other hand was a nice as could be.

I was standing in the airport at baggage claim and Bruce Smith was directly behind me. I turned, saw him, thought holy crap, he's huge. No one bothered him as he had a look on his face which screamed leave me alone.

Edited by KRT88

All time favorite is andre reed. First time I met him was my 4th birthday and he picked me up and carried me around Jim Kelly's camp and got my shirt autographed by every player there. Every time I have seen him since he goes out of his way to stop and talk. Kent hull is the greatest human i have met. Thurman has always been awkward. Sometimes he's real goofy and funny other times he thinks he is the greatest thing in the world. Daryl talley is awesome. He talks my grandmas ear off everytime they see each other. Marshawn was real laid back and chill, cool dude. McGahee was probably the worst. Pat williams walked with a friend and I for a long time but he didn't listen to anything we said, he basically had a conversation with himself. Fletcher always seemed like he didn't want to be bothered. Jim Kelly. I've known him for 25 years. The first 20 I only tolerated him just because of everything he does for my uncle. But right around when hunter passed something changed in him for the better.

Sounds like a double standard, especially if you were enjoying yourself.