Goodwin attempting to make 2016 Olympics

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's been training, it's possible. Because he hasn't competed in meets doesn't mean he hasn't trained for the sport. Remember after Darby got drafted, they brought him on a tour of the facilities and he met Goodwin? He mentioned how Goodwin was doing track training.

Edited by purple haze

If he's been training, it's possible. Because he hasn't competed in meets doesn't mean he hasn't trained for the sport. Remember after Darby got drafted, they brought him on a tour of the facilities and he met Goodwin? He mentioned how Goodwin was doing track training.

also his fiancée is one of the top track athletes in DI at Texas. She's always competing nationally. He trains with her a lot per his twitter.

I don't think it works that way. Unless there is a real deficit at US long jump.

He was world class. If he hasn't lost any (much) speed why can't he regain the form that he had? This isn't rocket surgery we're talking about.

This must be the "life changing decision" that he tweeted about last week

Either or, not both.

Very few guys can be elite in either sport. Even fewer can make the grade in 2 sports calling for rather different mindsets and skills.

Methinks Goodwin needs to make up his mind where his heart lies, and follow it with all his might.

It isn't fair if he takes a US T&F spot from a guy who is whole-hearted training for long jump and maybe close to Goodwin's level, and then can't compete (or compete at his best) because he's dinged up from training camp. It likewise isn't fair if he takes a roster spot from another WR who might have promise, and then shoots off across the world for 2 weeks just before the season.

That is pretty cool. I hope he makes it. It'll be a nice side story for the media to do during our Super Bowl run.

:worthy::thumbsup:

(Sling Blade voice) i like the way you talk.

awesome. i sure laughed out loud Sammy!!

Either or, not both.

Very few guys can be elite in either sport. Even fewer can make the grade in 2 sports calling for rather different mindsets and skills.

Methinks Goodwin needs to make up his mind where his heart lies, and follow it with all his might.

It isn't fair if he takes a US T&F spot from a guy who is whole-hearted training for long jump and maybe close to Goodwin's level, and then can't compete (or compete at his best) because he's dinged up from training camp. It likewise isn't fair if he takes a roster spot from another WR who might have promise, and then shoots off across the world for 2 weeks just before the season.

dont limit him in your mind. actually dont limit anyones potential in your mind. even yourself

Any early predictions on future threads re this? I think we will see these down the road:

1) Goodwin needs to get his priorities straight

2) Do you think Goodwin's injury was caused by the Olympics training?

3) Why can't Goodwin perform like that in the Bills' games?

4) Hogan is on the fast track to start this year

5) Goodwin may run for the U.S. Olympic team, but he plays in the AMERICAN Football Conference. Why does he hate America?

Any early predictions on future threads re this? I think we will see these down the road:

1) Goodwin needs to get his priorities straight

2) Do you think Goodwin's injury was caused by the Olympics training?

3) Why can't Goodwin perform like that in the Bills' games?

4) Hogan is on the fast track to start this year

5) EJ is a communist, because of that time he tried to kill USA Olympian Marquise Goodwin with that throw vs the Chargers.

Ever since Harvin was signed it's been obvious that there's no role for Goodwin. And really, is there any demand for him in the NFL? Seems like Goodwin can read the writing on the wall. I don't think anyone needs to worry about how he'll fit the Beijing meet in with preseason football ...

If I'm not mistaken the first guy Ryan singled out as being impressed with was Goodwin. And he's brought Goodwin up in press conferences a few different times. Chris Brown, who may not be the best writer but knows what is going on inside the team, had Goodwin as the first of four backups who had a great camp and may play a significant role. Sanjay Lal has spoke about him, too. He's been impressive to the new coaches. I would be surprised if he doesn't make the team and play in games.

A lot of you must not have played a sport at all in your life. You guys think he would just show up for the Olympics and be gone a couple of days and then back with the team? Being on the Olympic team is like a full time job in itself. They train year round. You don't just show up at the Olympics one day and compete lol

Goodwin is a world class athlete but hasn't competed in a while (to my knowledge). My guess is that the Bills are open to him chasing this dream but it seems unlikely IMO, that he finishes where he needs to. He will be back in time for the start of the season.

I personally don't see this as an "either/or" proposition though. He can compete in the long jump and play in the NFL. The time missed at TC isn't going to break him I wouldn't think. The staff knows what they have in the player. He's an underrated route runner, that cannot be covered over the top, constructed entirely of glass. If they value what he can do (which sounds to be the case) he will have a spot upon his return.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ever since Harvin was signed it's been obvious that there's no role for Goodwin. And really, is there any demand for him in the NFL? Seems like Goodwin can read the writing on the wall. I don't think anyone needs to worry about how he'll fit the Beijing meet in with preseason football ...

While this may be the case, a guy who is #52 on an NFL roster makes about 100 times more than a track and field athlete. It's all about the Olympics and loving the sport. There isn't (a lot of) money to be had there.

Is this really a "big" story? There's only one thing about Goodwin that concerns me -- his ability to stay healthy. I don't care if he's running and jumping into sand pits for his hobby.