Goodwin attempting to make 2016 Olympics

You can look at this two ways. One is that by saying a guy should pick one passion and focus on it, it's limiting him (from two sports). Another is by saying a guy should pursue all his dreams, including multiple sports (long jump and football), but that is potentially limiting him as well - for example, if injuries accrued in one sport limit his performance in the other or training time for both sports keeps him from reaching the highest potential he could achieve in the other.

So sure, don't limit anyone's potential in your mind, but recognize that pursing multiple dreams is, in itself, a form of limit.

I will root for him. But I think he should choose. He may, in fact, do so if he makes the WC team.

I'll go out on a limb and guess he enjoys track more or he wouldn't even do this but football is still fun and pays a whole lot better than 5th best American long jumper. More power to the guy chasing his dream while taking home a huge check in his day job.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go out on a limb and guess he enjoys track more or he wouldn't even do this but football is still fun and pays a whole lot better than 5th best American long jumper. More power to the guy chasing his dream while taking home a huge check in his day job.

OK, I'll sit corrected. If he wants to be among the handful of elite at either sport, he should chose one and focus all his efforts on it.

Imo

Edited by Hopeful

Hey, while we're at it and attention is focused on the US Nationals this coming weekend, how about a shout out to UB's Jonathan Jones who recently won the NCAA shotput title (UB's first National Champion, btw). He'll be competing for a spot on the team as well as Goodwin.

How's this for athleticism: at 6'1" and 315lbs, Jones can stand underneath the basket and dunk a shot put. Don't attempt that at home, fellas.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, while we're at it and attention is focused on the US Nationals this coming weekend, how about a shout out to UB's Jonathan Jones who recently won the NCAA shotput title (UB's first National Champion, btw). He'll be competing for a spot on the team as well as Goodwin.

How's this for athleticism: at 6'1" and 315lbs, Jones can stand underneath the basket and dunk a shot put. Don't attempt that at home, fellas.

GO BILLS!!!

and how much does one of those things weigh?

I love this part from Sal... Ummm, Sal, you're not picking the team.

"On a few occasions this spring, new coach Rex Ryan talked up Goodwin as someone who should not be taken lightly, even though the Bills are deep at the position with free agent Percy Harvin being added to a group that already included Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Chris Hogan.

"He's got great speed, he's got all the tools, he can run routes," Ryan said back in OTAs. "He's not just a 'track guy.' He's a football player. As far as proving things, just get out and play. I would be shocked if he doesn't play well."

However, if I was picking the Bills final 53-man roster today, Goodwin would not be on the team. I would keep six receivers, and they would be Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, rookie Dezmin Lewis and special teams ace Marcus Easley."

Ummm, Kelly the dog I think Sal knows he's not picking the team. Hence the statement "However, if I was picking the Bills final 53 man roster today "

and how much does one of those things weigh?

16 lbs. my friend.

I herniated just thinking about trying to dunk that from a standing position under the basket.

Dude has major explosion for his size. I say we give him a look at NT after his track and field tryouts.

GO BILLS!!!

16 lbs. my friend.

I herniated just thinking about trying to dunk that from a standing position under the basket.

Dude has major explosion for his size. I say we give him a look at NT after his track and field tryouts.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope he's not doing that on the hardwood floor...

I hope he's not doing that on the hardwood floor...

Be a Wile E Coyote scene right there!

16 lbs. my friend.

GO BILLS!!!

wow. herniated is the right word. already cramping up!

ha. I hope he qualifies because I know this is a dream of his, and likely his last chance. But selfishly, I want him to play for the bills this year, and don't want the world championships to impact that.

After this weekend, I don't think that you will have to worry. Don't see how he shows up and beats three guys with better jumps who train year round.

After this weekend, I don't think that you will have to worry. Don't see how he shows up and beats three guys with better jumps who train year round.

Yeah, I don't either. He's obviously very good but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get shellacked in this meet.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

@SalSports

There are 10 jumpers in flight #2. The top 8 make the finals. Goodwin in a very good position. Amazing for a dude who just walked out there

Jumpers have to finish top 3 AND jump 8.10m to qualify for World Championships in China next month. Marquise Goodwin is .01m shy right now.

@SalSports

There are 10 jumpers in flight #2. The top 8 make the finals. Goodwin in a very good position. Amazing for a dude who just walked out there

Jumpers have to finish top 3 AND jump 8.10m to qualify for World Championships in China next month. Marquise Goodwin is .01m shy right now.

It would be really disappointing for him if he was 1cm short. I don't often feel bad for pro athletes but that one would be a shame for a guy trying to achieve an admirable dream