Goodwin attempting to make 2016 Olympics

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this really a "big" story? There's only one thing about Goodwin that concerns me -- his ability to stay healthy. I don't care if he's running and jumping into sand pits for his hobby.

You don't see how those two things can possibly be connected?

You don't see how those two things can possibly be connected?

I haven't seen very many long jump injuries. Could he hurt himself during training? Of course -- but that could be true regardless of what sort of training he's doing, including football.

@salmaiorana

#Bills WR Marquise Goodwin to compete at USA Track and Field meet. What about his NFL career? Interesting decision. http://on.rocne.ws/1N1UiUO

proxy.jpg?t=HBi7AWh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZ2FubmV0

I love this part from Sal... Ummm, Sal, you're not picking the team.

"On a few occasions this spring, new coach Rex Ryan talked up Goodwin as someone who should not be taken lightly, even though the Bills are deep at the position with free agent Percy Harvin being added to a group that already included Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Chris Hogan.

"He's got great speed, he's got all the tools, he can run routes," Ryan said back in OTAs. "He's not just a 'track guy.' He's a football player. As far as proving things, just get out and play. I would be shocked if he doesn't play well."

However, if I was picking the Bills final 53-man roster today, Goodwin would not be on the team. I would keep six receivers, and they would be Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, rookie Dezmin Lewis and special teams ace Marcus Easley."

Probably the best place for him. We're all dazzled by his speed, but he's just not physically cut out for NFL. And the injuries he's compiling will eventually knock him out as an Olympic caliber athlete too.

Your ability to know the future is unprecedented on this board. You're never correct, but yet you keep on trolling. I mean trying.

I haven't seen very many long jump injuries. Could he hurt himself during training? Of course -- but that could be true regardless of what sort of training he's doing, including football.

Perhaps he will be changing up his training regimen a bit in order to make a push for the Olympic team, and thus his body will be weaker in some areas that are now more vulnerable when he hits the football field. Just a thought.

Perhaps he will be changing up his training regimen a bit in order to make a push for the Olympic team, and thus his body will be weaker in some areas that are now more vulnerable when he hits the football field. Just a thought.

He needs to run really fast and jump. Same as in football :D

I see that this will be broadcast on NBC. I'll be tuning in for sure. Just like watching the Bills on Sunday!

As a Bills fan, I'll be rooting for him, but expect a loss.

Such is our life.

ha. I hope he qualifies because I know this is a dream of his, and likely his last chance. But selfishly, I want him to play for the bills this year, and don't want the world championships to impact that.

According to NBC Sports, Men's Long Jump will be one of the fiercest competitions in the event.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/usa-track-and-field-championships-preview-events-to-watch/

Goodwin's personal best would currently rank 4th among Americans.

The best American right now, Jeff Henderson, is the 2015 world leader.

ha. I hope he qualifies because I know this is a dream of his, and likely his last chance. But selfishly, I want him to play for the bills this year, and don't want the world championships to impact that.

He's a role player, not a starter, so I think he's in a perfect situation to do something like this. If he works hard enough, he can still be a dangerous piece of our offense. It would be cool to see a guy doing two different sports professionally, which is rare these days.

According to NBC Sports, Men's Long Jump will be one of the fiercest competitions in the event.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/usa-track-and-field-championships-preview-events-to-watch/

Goodwin's personal best would currently rank 4th among Americans.

The best American right now, Jeff Henderson, is the 2015 world leader.

He's a role player, not a starter, so I think he's in a perfect situation to do something like this. If he works hard enough, he can still be a dangerous piece of our offense. It would be cool to see a guy doing two different sports professionally, which is rare these days.

I was not a huge Deion Sanders fan, although I thought he was a great CB. But I thought it was awesome that he played a football game and then jumped on a plane and played a baseball game that same day.* I was thinking hell yeah I would do that if I could, why not?

*The real story to that, I think, is Deion played a Saturday night game in the NL Championship Series, then got on a plane and played a Sunday day game for the Falcons, then got on a plane and suited up for the NL Championship next game but never got in the game. So he didn't actually play in two games in the same day but basically did. He played in two within 24 hours and was actually dressed for 3 with a 24 hour span, playing in two of them.

dont limit him in your mind. actually dont limit anyones potential in your mind. even yourself

You can look at this two ways. One is that by saying a guy should pick one passion and focus on it, it's limiting him (from two sports). Another is by saying a guy should pursue all his dreams, including multiple sports (long jump and football), but that is potentially limiting him as well - for example, if injuries accrued in one sport limit his performance in the other or training time for both sports keeps him from reaching the highest potential he could achieve in the other.

So sure, don't limit anyone's potential in your mind, but recognize that pursing multiple dreams is, in itself, a form of limit.

so do we root for him or not? Lol

I will root for him. But I think he should choose. He may, in fact, do so if he makes the WC team.