Goodwin attempting to make 2016 Olympics

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this won't conflict with TC. But I gotta wonder about goodwin's thinking on this.

I wonder if it's an attempt to keep his name in the conversation for next year's Olympics, in case the Turk visits him at the 53 cutdown. Don't the top track athletes get some sort of financial support? Finishing 4th at Nationals and a strong showing at the Pan-Am games would presumably put him in a good position for that.

Edited by Hopeful

As opposed to the 5 guys that'll make it that blew off their workouts almost completely, the other 5 that were probably getting high before or after the workouts and the 20 that were tweaking them too? He will be the one singled out?

Well first off there won't be 5 guys blowing off their workout's. They'll be making burgers I'm sure.

I wasn't singling him out but pointing out that by his lack of, of, being upfront and requesting it, let's say that it will be a mark against him. Add in the fact that he's always hurt, the rest of talent level at his position and he may end up owning a Five Guys instead of a Bill. Would he get picked up somewhere else? Hard to say given the previous questions. Will it matter? Maybe not as he might be busy training for a meet somewhere and that may perhaps even be his better profession at the end of the day.

The guy thinks he can have a great NFL career if given the chance. That has nothing to do with whether or not you or I think he can, but he surely does. The Bills, Rex, Sanjay, Roman, and other WR have singled him out at some point at OTAs saying he is doing very well. Rex said flat out I will be very surprised if he doesn't produce.

He's not a lock to make the team, especially if they only keep 5 WR, which is possibly. But there is no way IMO that he didn't completely clear this with the coaches and the team and they are all for him doing it, otherwise he just wouldn't. He wouldn't risk his best chance at a long career and the most money. He's doing it because he can, and the Bills are probably totally behind it and rooting for him.

The guy thinks he can have a great NFL career if given the chance. That has nothing to do with whether or not you or I think he can, but he surely does. The Bills, Rex, Sanjay, Roman, and other WR have singled him out at some point at OTAs saying he is doing very well. Rex said flat out I will be very surprised if he doesn't produce.

He's not a lock to make the team, especially if they only keep 5 WR, which is possibly. But there is no way IMO that he didn't completely clear this with the coaches and the team and they are all for him doing it, otherwise he just wouldn't. He wouldn't risk his best chance at a long career and the most money. He's doing it because he can, and the Bills are probably totally behind it and rooting for him.

Did you hear his interview on John Murphy's show? He specifically said the things I mentioned. That the trainers didn't know what he was doing, nobody asked so he didn't volunteer, dunno but I see some level of, well maybe lack of candidness with the organization. Last minute he throws it at them AFTER Rex may have spoken well of him and what else is the team gonna say? Maybe I'm reading way too much into it but listen to the interview and tell me his comments don't make you think about the issue. By hiding what he was doing I think he most certainly is risking his job here.

Did you hear his interview on John Murphy's show? He specifically said the things I mentioned. That the trainers didn't know what he was doing, nobody asked so he didn't volunteer, dunno but I see some level of, well maybe lack of candidness with the organization. Last minute he throws it at them AFTER Rex may have spoken well of him and what else is the team gonna say? Maybe I'm reading way too much into it but listen to the interview and tell me his comments don't make you think about the issue. By hiding what he was doing I think he most certainly is risking his job here.

I didn't hear it but may try to find it. As far as I recall, however, he had to petition to get an invite, which was granted right before the meet. So I imagine that he didn't tell the trainers or anyone what he wanted to do weeks beforehand, in case he wasn't allowed to compete. I don't know, this is all just my opinion. It's hard for me to believe he wouldn't tell the team and get approval but it's possible.

From his tweets, he also seemed very happy with how he played in OTAs and mini-camp.

I didn't hear it but may try to find it. As far as I recall, however, he had to petition to get an invite, which was granted right before the meet. So I imagine that he didn't tell the trainers or anyone what he wanted to do weeks beforehand, in case he wasn't allowed to compete. I don't know, this is all just my opinion. It's hard for me to believe he wouldn't tell the team and get approval but it's possible.

From his tweets, he also seemed very happy with how he played in OTAs and mini-camp.

I'd guess there's a pretty reasonable middle ground. I don't think there was any shock when the track and field Olympian came and said he was doing some practice on the side. I'd guess any surprise was that he was a legit contender. From his end, I don't doubt he kept it quiet or treated it as a hobby til it was a real thing for him.

I know he is happy as he was getting to be involved unlike under Marrone. Here's the show. I think it was twelve minute plus and I was driving at the time I heard it and the way he said the things he said struck me as deceit for lack of a better word. And that may be overstating it but it's the way it came across on the radio. I don't think he had to petition either. I think because of his standing/finishes prior he was automatic and merely had to say, here when asked if he would attend. Not sure about that.

No matter, I wish the best for him with or without us and I'm positive the team knows about his future plans re Pan Am games or possibly Olympic dreams.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Marquise-Goodwin-We-got-that-fire-in-the-room/f8bc51e5-b20d-46ed-972c-ddfb969f04fe

I know he is happy as he was getting to be involved unlike under Marrone. Here's the show. I think it was twelve minute plus and I was driving at the time I heard it and the way he said the things he said struck me as deceit for lack of a better word. And that may be overstating it but it's the way it came across on the radio. I don't think he had to petition either. I think because of his standing/finishes prior he was automatic and merely had to say, here when asked if he would attend. Not sure about that.

No matter, I wish the best for him with or without us and I'm positive the team knows about his future plans re Pan Am games or possibly Olympic dreams.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Marquise-Goodwin-We-got-that-fire-in-the-room/f8bc51e5-b20d-46ed-972c-ddfb969f04fe

I will listened later. I'm not doubting at all your take. He did seem to have to petition to get in from the director, which was granted the monday before the weekend meet.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/06/22/buffalo-bills-olympics-marquise-goodwin-track-return

I wonder if it's an attempt to keep his name in the conversation for next year's Olympics, in case the Turk visits him at the 53 cutdown. Don't the top track athletes get some sort of financial support? Finishing 4th at Nationals and a strong showing at the Pan-Am games would presumably put him in a good position for that.

I think you are right. This strikes me as him hedging his bets a bit.

If I'm not mistaken the first guy Ryan singled out as being impressed with was Goodwin. And he's brought Goodwin up in press conferences a few different times. Chris Brown, who may not be the best writer but knows what is going on inside the team, had Goodwin as the first of four backups who had a great camp and may play a significant role. Sanjay Lal has spoke about him, too. He's been impressive to the new coaches. I would be surprised if he doesn't make the team and play in games.

Agreed!

He just tweeted this....

@flashg88dwin: Find a way to stay relevant, they'll never have any reason to forget about you.

@flashg88dwin: Call me a track guy all you want, it's true! But give me that ball 5 times a game & I'll slide in that #NFLTop100 !!

"I cater those workouts to track-specific things, so I don't lose the rhythm I've always had to keep football and track in balance. I don't want to get too much on the football side and gain weight, so I'm as fast on the field."

From a football fan perspective I'm not sure I like this quote. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I don't think he's a good enough football player to tailor his workouts to be able to do both things.

John Murphy talked about this last night and surmised that Goodwin is hedging his bets. He said he's 3 years in to his nfl career and still hasn't secured a roster spot - used to be he always refused to be referred to as a track guy or take any track questions in interviews. Now he's done a 180 and Murph thought he might feel like he "needs" to put one foot back into that side of things at this point. It could be his agent or someone else advising him as well.

"I cater those workouts to track-specific things, so I don't lose the rhythm I've always had to keep football and track in balance. I don't want to get too much on the football side and gain weight, so I'm as fast on the field."

From a football fan perspective I'm not sure I like this quote. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I don't think he's a good enough football player to tailor his workouts to be able to do both things.

I read it the same way you do.

Especially for a player on the bubble, I'd rather him say, "My dream is to be a great NFL receiver and am dedicating everything I got to that one ambition. I'm giving this opportunity 100% effort and won't let anyone or anything sidetrack me. I'm a Buffalo Bill 24 hours a day, every day."

John Murphy talked about this last night and surmised that Goodwin is hedging his bets. He said he's 3 years in to his nfl career and still hasn't secured a roster spot - used to be he always refused to be referred to as a track guy or take any track questions in interviews. Now he's done a 180 and Murph thought he might feel like he "needs" to put one foot back into that side of things at this point. It could be his agent or someone else advising him as well.

This might be accurate. I guess I wish he would've waited to see if he could earn a roster spot with Rex first and learn how he'd fit in Roman's offense.

His comments don't bode well for his Buffalo Bills career. Putting one foot back in track is putting one foot out the OBD door.

Looks like this won't conflict with TC. But I gotta wonder about goodwin's thinking on this.

It's in Toronto it won't even be far away. Might even be worth checking out in person

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was one of 623 athletes named to Team USA on Monday to compete in the 2015 Pan American Games.

Goodwin will compete in the long jump at the Games, which will be held from July 10 to 26 in Toronto.

http://espn.go.com/extra/panamgames/story/_/id/13217443/marquise-goodwin-buffalo-bills-named-usa-pan-squad