Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

I would agree with JW. Anyone coming out in June and saying that a QB is in the lead is just trying to grab a headline. Granted, one could see through OTA's if someone is stronger, in more shape, or more accurate per say than previous camps, but that is against air and shouldn't be considered anything that would put someone ahead in the QB race.

Understood, but it can go worse than that. Remember Chan and the Edwards/Fitz/Brohm "QB Competition"? After OTAs it was announced (as I recall) that Edwards was in the lead based upon what had been seen in OTAs.

We know how that worked out.

Any coach or staff coming out in June and saying a QB is in the lead may be signaling a "phoney" competition because some guys just look great in shorts.

I'm not at all familiar with the author of this article, Trevor Conley, but I hope he's reading this.

Grammar, and spelling errors aside (and there are plenty), this rubbish really shouldn't be considered journalism. This crappy article isn't just void of objectivity, it is intentionally misleading.

A quote from the article:

"Manule has gained 8-10 pounds in the offseason, with the goal of remaining healthy while taking an NFL beating. Manuel will just have to keep up the same work, because Cassel and Taylor had "moments that ranged from mediocre to awful.""

That last underlined phrase is in quotation marks because it is a direct quote from an nbcsports.com article by Mike Florio quoting Vic Carucci with a link. Conley assumes that most readers won't bother following the link, and discover how badly, and dishonestly he is taking it out of context. The full quote reads: "As Carucci explains it, Manuel, Cassel, and Taylor looked unspectacular during the first week of OTAs, and they all had “moments that ranged from mediocre to awful.”"

To remove EJ's name from that quote does more than a disservice to the Buffalo Sun Times' readers. It misrepresents Vic Carucci, and Mike Florio-- two actual journalists with whom Trevor Conley would pretend to be colleagues.

Thank you. Thank you for calling this. I saw this, and wanted to comment but lacked time. +1 :thumbsup: for you and :sick: for the author

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Krauthammer just put odds on all of the dozen or so GOP presidential wannabes, so what's the harm in fans speculating who is ahead/behind a QB competition? It's TSW for crissake, we don't need a beat writer telling us to stop doing what the national media does daily. That said, the report the OP cited was as bogus as it gets.

Thank you. Thank you for calling this. I saw this, and wanted to comment but lacked time. +1 :thumbsup: for you and :sick: for the author

Thank you.

This sort of "reporting" makes my blood boil. It's one thing to have an agenda based article, and media bias is a fact of life. Cherry picking data to support an author's claim is all too common. But, to intentionally misrepresent data the way Conley does, is to print a lie. And, to intentionally misrepresent another reporter's statement to further one's agenda? Unbelievable.

The author, kid or not, is rewriting what people actually said and putting quotes around it. That sort of deliberate misrepresentation places him (or her) below the level of usual "fan" author

That's why I keep saying don't pay attention to the Buffalo Sun Times site

Watch the end of this 2 minute drill.

SCORIN DORRIN!

Not sure if I would refer to the person who wrote piece linked in initial post as a member of "the media." in fact, this person isn't even at practice and instead citing a NJ.com report. not sure what that means either.

and i'm further skeptical given what the person wrote, to wit: "Manule has gained 8-10 pounds ..."

Manule?

the media is not entirely blameless here, but someone on this board began a thread by pointing us to this "report."

to which, i say again, (and politely) stop it. :rolleyes:

jw

nice!

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-bills/7/116/142765/bills-ej-manuel-beating-cassel-taylor-otas

I think the OTA's are a very small sample size but no doubt I would love it if E.J. could earn the job. Either way too early to tell IMO.

Whoever wins the job, it's nice to see that they have to earn it, instead of it being a 'Coronation'.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

A veteran without athleticism? The guy was a 2 sport athlete at USC and was drafted by both the MLB and the NFL. Seems these days if your a pocket passer you're no longer an athlete. This article looks like that one bleacher report about Cassel having 1 bad day. I myself am def rooting for EJ to win...I want a franchise qb like all of us and not some retread, I just hope he somehow learned to hit his open receivers.

What does that have to do with athletic? Some of the best basketball players are not athletic. Same with baseball. There are athletes.. who play a sport. And then there is athletic. Calvin Johnson LeBron James are two athletic freaks. Of course Marquis Goodwin CJ Spiller and TJ Graham are athletic specimens we have had on our club who are not great football players. I say all this because in this context there is a distinction between athlete and athletic/athleticism.

What does that have to do with athletic? Some of the best basketball players are not athletic. Same with baseball. There are athletes.. who play a sport. And then there is athletic. Calvin Johnson LeBron James are two athletic freaks. Of course Marquis Goodwin CJ Spiller and TJ Graham are athletic specimens we have had on our club who are not great football players. I say all this because in this context there is a distinction between athlete and athletic/athleticism.

No, Matt Cassel is not an athletic freak, but to call a pro ATHLETE unathletic is just silly. The guy is a drafted 2 sport athlete. Do you have any idea how much of a stud you need to be to make it in any sport. Apparently if you don't run a 4.3, you aren't athletic.