Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pure and unfettered speculation. The competition is impossible to gauge because the media has had very, very limited access to watching practice. Three sessions does not a clear observation make. And, they're throwing mostly against air.

Astute and longtime Bills fans should be accustomed to how a QB competition plays out. And it's not decided in June. Rex is right, this is a process that has a way of working itself out. We'll have a far better idea come the third or fourth week of training camp as to who the front-runner is.

Anyone suggesting that there's one now is merely speculating with no consequences of being wrong or right.

Stop it.

jw

Is pointing a condition associated with the yips?

Honestly I think it is a total mental thing....he is being too "careful" with his throws

This is pure and unfettered speculation. The competition is impossible to gauge because the media has had very, very limited access to watching practice. Three sessions does not a clear observation make. And, they're throwing mostly against air.

Astute and longtime Bills fans should be accustomed to how a QB competition plays out. And it's not decided in June. Rex is right, this is a process that has a way of working itself out. We'll have a far better idea come the third or fourth week of training camp as to who the front-runner is.

Anyone suggesting that there's one now is merely speculating with no consequences of being wrong or right.

Stop it.

jw

John....were not doing that...members of the media are. It is stemming from articles being posted and the fans are commenting on it.

Just sayin

Honestly I think it is a total mental thing....he is being too "careful" with his throws

John....were not doing that...members of the media are. It is stemming from articles being posted and the fans are commenting on it.

Just sayin

Not sure if I would refer to the person who wrote piece linked in initial post as a member of "the media." in fact, this person isn't even at practice and instead citing a NJ.com report. not sure what that means either.

and i'm further skeptical given what the person wrote, to wit: "Manule has gained 8-10 pounds ..."

Manule?

the media is not entirely blameless here, but someone on this board began a thread by pointing us to this "report."

to which, i say again, (and politely) stop it. :rolleyes:

jw

Not sure if I would refer to the person who wrote piece linked in initial post as a member of "the media." in fact, this person isn't even at practice and instead citing a NJ.com report. not sure what that means either.

and i'm further skeptical given what the person wrote, to wit: "Manule has gained 8-10 pounds ..."

Manule?

the media is not entirely blameless here, but someone on this board began a thread by pointing us to this "report."

jw

John, as a journalist, what is your take on how the steady stream of tweets by the media, offering their instant opinion on events as they unfold in real time, shapes any particular narrative moving forward?

GO BILLS!!!

Manule?

jw

Fair enough...:)

Thanks for your comments on this!

I don't really think you can blame a QBs development entirely on the coaching staff. Was Dan Marino's QB coach a superstar? Was Elway, Manning or Jim Kelly's QB coaches really what made them successful? Or even more, was Marv Levy, or Tony Dungy what made them winners?

First, not all teams have QB coaches, especially in the '80's so your question is a bit too specific. Probably on purpose, cause the answer would unquestionably be yes, all of those QB's you listed had legendary coaches and coordinators.

I have just been pondering on my way home from work... do you think if what we are going to get is simply Orton of last year standard of Quarterback play (not saying we will just hypothesising) would you think EJ is the worst of the 3 guys to get it from in the eyes of the coaching staff? Let me explain...

If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from Matt Cassel then great Cassel has done his job we probably draft a Quarterback early in the draft and Cassel maybe starts 2016 and hands over during the season.

If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from Tyrod Taylor then great he was a flier who has come in and shown some potential I don't think anyone objects to us going Quarterback early in the draft and Tyrod and the rookie compete for the job next summer and beyond.

However, If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from EJ...... then is there a risk for the coaching staff that some guys in the front office who were involved in drafting him as a 1st round pick (the GM for one) see it as the progress he would have shown in year 2 if not yanked by Marrone and seek to impose him on the coaching staff as the starter again in 2016 and rather than drafting a QB early simply take a mid round flier on someone?

I know... I am probably worrying about nothing but it is a long offseason and I have had a crap day I needed some nonsense to occupy my brain on the journey home.

John, as a journalist, what is your take on how the steady stream of tweets by the media, offering their instant opinion on events as they unfold in real time, shapes any particular narrative moving forward?

GO BILLS!!!

i go out of my way to not be influenced by the "hot takes." one example was the day McCoy's comments came out. though many were rushing to suggest that LeSean called Chip Kelly a "racist," it was quite clear he did no such thing in the quotes provided.

the rush to get stuff out first or speculate something has always been part of the business. i've learned time and time again to judge and report my own observations or what people whom i trust are telling me.

this goes all the way back to the erroneous report in which WGR cited a fake AP report that Marvin Lewis was going to be the Bills coach in 2001. and it was certainly re-emphasized during the speculative and rumor-riddled Bills sale last year.

the end result does not change no matter what the latest hot take or spin is. the truth eventually comes out -- or in this case, the quarterback chosen -- and there's no point guessing at it in the middle of June.

jw

First, not all teams have QB coaches, especially in the '80's so your question is a bit too specific. Probably on purpose, cause the answer would unquestionably be yes, all of those QB's you listed had legendary coaches and coordinators.

Or did all those coaches and coordinators have legendary Quaterbacks? I am playing devil's advocate a little but it is a bit chicken and egg isn't it? Does a great Quarterback make a legendary coach or does a great coach make a legendary Quarterback?

Or did all those coaches and coordinators have legendary Quaterbacks? I am playing devil's advocate a little but it is a bit chicken and egg isn't it? Does a great Quarterback make a legendary coach or does a great coach make a legendary Quarterback?

Agreed, but I was merely debunking the theory of Homie D that those folks did not have amazing coaches. They go hand in hand, but most of those players had coaches that had repeated success with different players. Kelly's coaches might have the weakest resume...

i go out of my way to not be influenced by the "hot takes." one example was the day McCoy's comments came out. though many were rushing to suggest that LeSean called Chip Kelly a "racist," it was quite clear he did no such thing in the quotes provided.

the rush to get stuff out first or speculate something has always been part of the business. i've learned time and time again to judge and report my own observations or what people whom i trust are telling me.

this goes all the way back to the erroneous report in which WGR cited a fake AP report that Marvin Lewis was going to be the Bills coach in 2001. and it was certainly re-emphasized during the speculative and rumor-riddled Bills sale last year.

the end result does not change no matter what the latest hot take or spin is. the truth eventually comes out -- or in this case, the quarterback chosen -- and there's no point guessing at it in the middle of June.

jw

Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful response so quickly. I agree entirely with your take. I also think that this "hot pocket" version of reporting is too often irresponsible by those who engage in it with little, if any, accountability after the fact. I understand that in this age of infotainment much of what I used to respect about the process is lost, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.

GO BILLS!!!

We won't know what Manuel can or can't do until the bullets start flying. That's been his issue, not looking good practicing in shorts. I hope he surprises me when the time comes and, even though I'm not optimistic, now is not the time to rip on the guy. I'd rather have a franchise QB than get to say I was right. I'm rooting for him.

jw

I think we all get that, but doesn't the rush to be the "first" to report something lead to this type of behavior? Nobody wants to wait until the truth comes out...better to guess at the truth and, if you're right, you get the credit of being "first".

No matter who wins, I'll be cheering them on come Sunday. I hope for the franchise's sake it's either EJ or Tyrod... so this is promising. :)

That all being said... it's OTAs... doesn't tell us too much.

OTAs are meaningful in this regard, I don't believe we've heard this in the past for EJ, with the exception of a day here or there.

A vet like Cassell should look great in shorts.

Frankly EJ winning this competition is the best thing the franchise could ask for as it means he has improved drastically and they have a potential long term solution.

I think we all get that, but doesn't the rush to be the "first" to report something lead to this type of behavior? Nobody wants to wait until the truth comes out...better to guess at the truth and, if you're right, you get the credit of being "first".

with quarterback competitions, there is generally no truth that comes out until the coach actually announces who is starter is. so it's meaningless to speculate. all anyone can do is make observations based on more than 3 practices, and then wait for the coach to announce it.

everything else is pure and unfettered speculation.

jw