Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

I'm of the opinion that Rex and Roman both want EJ as their starter and they're hoping he doesn't blow it. Taylor is a "catch lightning in a bottle" QB pick up where they see if he can stun everyone and win it.

It's only human nature to have your favorites going in as coaches with big dreams of what could be if everything started to click. I guess I just don't believe the coaches when they say everyone's on equal footing. If Cassel or Taylor blow them away then there will no doubt be a change of plans, but I do think that Manuel has the inside track.

If Taylor stuns and wins the job then I'd be thrilled. The only way I'm not going to be thrilled if Cassel wins it because he's so one dimensional.

Yup. Presuming none of these guys are going to suddenly light the world on fire, I think what Rex/Roman are hoping is that EJ plays well, TT plays well, and Meh doesn't crap himself.

Now, clearly, we'd all love it if either EJ or TT play lights out -- it's just not something anyone can reasonably expect.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you find a very good to franchise level QB if you don't take one?

Besides, we're told you can't evaluate QB's until they've been in the league a few seasons. Right? Isn't that the mantra preached whenever anyone remarks EJ isn't showing progress?

So who were we in position to take and passed that upset you? Did you want to spend a 1st in 2014 right after spending one in '13 on Manuel? The quality of QB's available to us in the draft in '15 weren't worth a 2nd round pick, and our 3rd round pick is looking like a starting OL Week 1.

And as soon as Rex was hired, he was upfront that he wasn't thrilled about the Bills' QB situation, and the front office was the busiest in years to try to land more QBs.

So while, it's certainly plausible that Whaley told the coaching candidates the team would prefer the coach try to revive EJ's career, I'm guessing that every candidate told Whaley that if the job rested on reclaiming EJ, the Bills could go pound sand.

There was a clear difference in the Bills tone with regard to the QB role once Rex came on.

And as soon as Rex was hired, he was upfront that he wasn't thrilled about the Bills' QB situation, and the front office was the busiest in years to try to land more QBs.

So while, it's certainly plausible that Whaley told the coaching candidates the team would prefer the coach try to revive EJ's career, I'm guessing that every candidate told Whaley that if the job rested on reclaiming EJ, the Bills could go pound sand.

There was a clear difference in the Bills tone with regard to the QB role once Rex came on.

Excellent post.

I don't doubt it. Just pointing out where the rumor came from is all.

Nice response. Even Marrone knew the Qb situation was a mess, and reportedly walked out on 2014 draft when 1st pick traded and no QB?

I don't doubt it. Just pointing out where the rumor came from is all.

Correct. But that's why context is important. No matter what Whaley may or may not have said in January, nobody should be under any illusion that there's a front office mandate to resurrect EJ.

That’s the thing. Do you believe what coaches say when they’re in front of a camera or when the cameras aren’t rolling? (:50)…
We had Rex Ryan on our set yesterday, and he startled me in his effusive praise of EJ Manuel and I almost stopped him in mid-sentece and said Rex, if there were Buffalo Bills fans watching this…and they saw you talking so much about EJ Manuel they’d either A. turn off the TV or start throwing stuff at the television…”
I think that the subdued EJ “tone” might have been the organization as a whole putting a full court press on Manuel in the hopes of seeing him at his optimum level when they “rolled the balls out”. I don’t think they were ever truly thinking of moving on from him as was leaked. I think that was all bs meant to both quell the fans who didn't like EJ and to motivate the player.

Thats the thing. Do you believe what coaches say when theyre in front of a camera or when the cameras arent rolling? (:50)

We had Rex Ryan on our set yesterday, and he startled me in his effusive praise of EJ Manuel and I almost stopped him in mid-sentece and said Rex, if there were Buffalo Bills fans watching thisand they saw you talking so much about EJ Manuel theyd either A. turn off the TV or start throwing stuff at the television

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

I think that the subdued EJ tone might have been the organization as a whole putting a full court press on Manuel in the hopes of seeing him at his optimum level when they rolled the balls out. I dont think they were ever truly thinking of moving on from him as was leaked. I think that was all bs meant to both quell the fans who didn't like EJ and to motivate the player.

What do you think Whaley/Rex tell EJ behind closed doors?

I'm of the opinion that Rex and Roman both want EJ as their starter and they're hoping he doesn't blow it. Taylor is a "catch lightning in a bottle" QB pick up where they see if he can stun everyone and win it.

It's only human nature to have your favorites going in as coaches with big dreams of what could be if everything started to click. I guess I just don't believe the coaches when they say everyone's on equal footing. If Cassel or Taylor blow them away then there will no doubt be a change of plans, but I do think that Manuel has the inside track.

If Taylor stuns and wins the job then I'd be thrilled. The only way I'm not going to be thrilled if Cassel wins it because he's so one dimensional.

I guess I don't share your opinion, but I accept it as utterly plausible.

Actually, gloom and doom notwithstanding, I see things to be hopeful about with all of our QBs,

EJ-- has certain progressed, has built rapport with WRs, improved reads, etc. The accuracy issue would be the biggest concern, imo, but we have seen him make some nice throws. He could very well be leading this competition.

Taylor-- clearly fast, and athletic. His accuracy was in question at the beginning of his tenure as a Bill, but some of the reports out of OTAs have allayed those fears. Rex has gushed about his accuracy, and long ball.

Cassel-- I have never thought that his two exceptional seasons, one with the Pats*, and one with KC, were flukes. I think he has the ability to excel in the right circumstances, those being adequate protection, and a decent run game. If he wins the competition, we could very well provide him with that.

What do you think Whaley/Rex tell EJ behind closed doors?

Not much. They probably gave EJ his playbook and both are hoping Roman turns him into Kaepernick from a couple of season's ago.

If that doesn't happen, then the actual QB named Kaepernick probably signs with the Bills next year after SF releases him due to his incredibly high salary not meshing with the massive rebuild ahead.

Thats the thing. Do you believe what coaches say when theyre in front of a camera or when the cameras arent rolling? (:50)

We had Rex Ryan on our set yesterday, and he startled me in his effusive praise of EJ Manuel and I almost stopped him in mid-sentece and said Rex, if there were Buffalo Bills fans watching thisand they saw you talking so much about EJ Manuel theyd either A. turn off the TV or start throwing stuff at the television

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

I think that the subdued EJ tone might have been the organization as a whole putting a full court press on Manuel in the hopes of seeing him at his optimum level when they rolled the balls out. I dont think they were ever truly thinking of moving on from him as was leaked. I think that was all bs meant to both quell the fans who didn't like EJ and to motivate the player.

You ask me if I believe what the coaches say off camera, and then introduce evidence of what Rex said in front of a camera?

Here's the bottom line, we don't know what happens behind closed doors. The best we can do is guess by the team's actions and not words. And based on their actions this year, they weren't willing to entrust the team to EJ, unlike last year.

Not much. They probably gave EJ his playbook and both are hoping Roman turns him into Kaepernick from a couple of season's ago.

If that doesn't happen, then the actual QB named Kaepernick probably signs with the Bills next year after SF releases him due to his incredibly high salary not meshing with the massive rebuild ahead.

I find it utterly implausible that this staff hasn't said anything to EJ about the job. Especially when they've been all over the map to the media. Rex Ryan, the coach infamous for wearing his heart on his sleeve for his players, is resorting to comments in the media, that EJ might never even hear, to communicate to his player? I don't buy it.

You ask me if I believe what the coaches say off camera, and then introduce evidence of what Rex said in front of a camera?

Here's the bottom line, we don't know what happens behind closed doors. The best we can do is guess by the team's actions and not words. And based on their actions this year, they weren't willing to entrust the team to EJ, unlike last year.

I took Sal Pal's comment that they had Rex "on set" meaning that it was while the camera's weren't rolling. If the talk was on camera usually the person would say something like they were "on our show". Maybe there is video evidence of Rex going overboard in praise of Manuel. Though I think that it would have been discovered and posted by now.

EJ supporters aren't willing to entrust the team to him either. I'm fine with them bringing in Cassel and Taylor because it's very reasonable to see the possibility of failure with Manuel. One thing that I'm feeling good about is that next year there will be much better QB options for the team if Manuel does indeed fail. There is going to be at least one big name that's cut or not resigned due to a team not willing to pay up 20 million a year for a top QB.

BillsFan-4-Ever, on 15 Jun 2015 - 1:29 PM, said:

yup since it was a prerequisite from Doug Whaley that the new HC has to give EJ every avenue to succeed.

Where did you get this from? Or, are you being sarcastic?

Did Pegula think so too? He was in on the interviews and had the final say.

no sarcasm, just good recollection

I see The Wiz commented on this.

If you paid attention throughout the entire process you wouldn't be asking this question

Jan 6th

According to a recent report on the Buffalo Bills' ongoing coaching search, GM Doug Whaley is telling candidates that he'd like them to develop EJ Manuel the way Doug Marrone never could.

IMO never would

funny that but it took Rex all but 1 or 2 days to decide.

per chance do you have a list of candidates who refused?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I find it utterly implausible that this staff hasn't said anything to EJ about the job. Especially when they've been all over the map to the media. Rex Ryan, the coach infamous for wearing his heart on his sleeve for his players, is resorting to comments in the media, that EJ might never even hear, to communicate to his player? I don't buy it.

The QB position is the "third rail" to Rex. He ain't touching it till he's forced to and I'm sure along the way he's just letting Roman do almost all of the talking to the QBs.

I'm sure Rex has had the typical "go get 'em, attaboy" talks with all of the QBs. Talk is just talk though, especially when you consider his history with QBs.

The QB position is the "third rail" to Rex. He ain't touching it till he's forced to and I'm sure along the way he's just letting Roman do almost all of the talking to the QBs.

I'm sure Rex has had the typical "go get 'em, attaboy" talks with all of the QBs. Talk is just talk though, especially when you consider his history with QBs.

what say did Rex have in the choices @ QB in Jersey?

IIRC he took ButtFumble and had a bit of success. No?

Other than that again I ask was Gino his choice or the choices he had to live with?

Correct. But that's why context is important. No matter what Whaley may or may not have said in January, nobody should be under any illusion that there's a front office mandate to resurrect EJ.

Is anyone under that illusion?

"I'd really like to see what we have with EJ given some proper coaching" is not the same thing as "if you take this job you need to play EJ."

I absolutely believe that a part of every HC interview included "tell me what you think about EJ and what would you do to develop him." That's not a mandate.