Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

I think we all get that, but doesn't the rush to be the "first" to report something lead to this type of behavior? Nobody wants to wait until the truth comes out...better to guess at the truth and, if you're right, you get the credit of being "first".

I see all sports reporting at 2 levels; first there is speculation and I consider all reports just that speculation, even from the large sports networks and second there is the confirmation with sourced information, which usually I look for from JW and the AP. Specifically to this topic it is all speculative and open to interpretation, but without speculation there are no sports networks or sports talk radio. We would have just fact reported and no conversation and as posted earlier I would not have the distraction I need from a bad day at work.

There can be a conversation about whether or not we have too much speculation, but I guess I feel we are all capable of filtering information on our own.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because he seems like such a nice young man, I hope EJ really is what we wanted three years ago. It is hard for me to believe he is going to make good, quick decisions, and throw with pinpoint accuracy when defensive coordinators are going to throw all kinds of disguises on him.

My buddies down here who are huge FSU fans tell me he's always had these problems. I hope I'm wrong and we have a franchise QB. It just seems Cassel with 11 years of experience would not be fooled as much and make safe decisions. We'll certainly find out.

Certainly not Manule Bol....

Manute

Just because he seems like such a nice young man, I hope EJ really is what we wanted three years ago. It is hard for me to believe he is going to make good, quick decisions, and throw with pinpoint accuracy when defensive coordinators are going to throw all kinds of disguises on him.

My buddies down here who are huge FSU fans tell me he's always had these problems. I hope I'm wrong and we have a franchise QB. It just seems Cassel with 11 years of experience would not be fooled as much and make safe decisions. We'll certainly find out.

cant cassel just teach how to do that to EJ? how hard can it be really

I’m sure if you had buddies who were Chiefs fans they would tell you the true story about Cassel being fooled so much and so often that he was permanently benched for Brady Quinn. Also, why would you even want Cassel if he can’t beat out the guy who your buddies thinks sucks?

EJ Manuel was considered a raw QB coming out of college. He was the very definition of a project QB. By all recent accounts (reports of Cassel looking horrible, ESPN's depth chart), it seems like this "project QB" has progressed to the point where he has seemed to have passed Matt Cassel and is currently considered the “penciled in” starting QB for the Bills. It's just logical to go with the guy who's much younger, a little bit better and who's still on the learning curve.

I’m sure if you had buddies who were Chiefs fans they would tell you the true story about Cassel being fooled so much and so often that he was permanently benched for Brady Quinn. Also, why would you even want Cassel if he can’t beat out the guy who your buddies thinks sucks?

EJ Manuel was considered a raw QB coming out of college. He was the very definition of a project QB. By all recent accounts (reports of Cassel looking horrible, ESPN's depth chart), it seems like this "project QB" has progressed to the point where he has seemed to have passed Matt Cassel and is currently considered the “penciled in” starting QB for the Bills. It's just logical to go with the guy who's much younger, a little bit better and who's still on the learning curve.

Considered by whom? The bozo who wrote this article? Or is there another source I'm not aware of? Do you have any link, or quote, that should lead us to believe he is "penciled in," or is this just your assumption?

Considered by whom? The bozo who wrote this article? Or is there another source I'm not aware of? Do you have any link, or quote, that should lead us to believe he is "penciled in," or is this just your assumption?

bad mood?

There have been some notes from outside the team that EJ is ahead.

its all bs of course. but it is out there EJ! He can manage the middle of the field and goes through his progression quicker. which is the opposite of what I expected.

its just fluff for now

There are about 5 articles stating that Matt Cassel played horrible on the final media OTA day. It's kind of an easy assumption that Manuel is "penciled in" as the starter given the eight year age difference and EJ's still on his NFL QB learning curve. Matt Cassel has to actually look better than Manuel to beat him.

bad mood?

There have been some notes from outside the team that EJ is ahead.

its all bs of course. but it is out there EJ! He can manage the middle of the field and goes through his progression quicker. which is the opposite of what I expected.

its just fluff for now

There are about 5 articles stating that Matt Cassel played horrible on the final media OTA day. It's kind of an easy assumption that Manuel is "penciled in" as the starter given the eight year age difference and EJ's still on his NFL QB learning curve. Matt Cassel has to actually look better than Manuel to beat him.

There has been one OTA in which Cassel underperformed EJ, and Taylor was not playing with the first team on that day. Every reasonably objective article leading up to that day had speculated that Cassel would be the most likely starter. Every reasonably objective article since then has speculated that his poor OTA could draw that into question.

That's a far cry from EJ being "penciled in." That's only an easy assumption for the EJ supporters who have made a habit of abandoning their objectivity, and only acknowledging those things that support their pro-EJ perspective.

Not hating. Not mad. Not in a bad mood. Just being realistic.

Nothing goes over your head, does it....?

actually most of IT does. but thank you just the same ; )

There has been one OTA in which Cassel underperformed EJ, and Taylor was not playing with the first team on that day. Every reasonably objective article leading up to that day had speculated that Cassel would be the most likely starter. Every reasonably objective article since then has speculated that his poor OTA could draw that into question.

That's a far cry from EJ being "penciled in." That's only an easy assumption for the EJ supporters who have made a habit of abandoning their objectivity, and only acknowledging those things that support their pro-EJ perspective.

realism has its merits, but much less less fun than semi delusional fandom.of which i am a card carrying member

There’s a big difference between “underperformed” and “horrible”. How would you even know what being reasonably objective is? Who are you to accuse anyone of abandoning their objectivity?

I think that Cassel was brought here to fill Orton’s role as emergency back up QB to Manuel. Some people think he was brought here to be the starter. Let’s not pretend that we are completely objective when almost everyone has preconceived notions of what’s really going on beyond the coach speak and behind the curtain. Yes there's a competition, but they do have a guy in mind that they envision as their prime candidate for the offense they want to run with the hope of great success.

One could make a speculative argument for any of the 3 guys at this point.

Case might throw better but not have mobility they want. Tyrod may be the X factor they want, Cassell may be more consistent down the stretch in pads. Manuel may be the perfect combo of passer with mobility and finally slowed the game down for him.