Eagles released Evan Mathis

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they like Miller too much to spend big money on Mathis plus there is Urbik as backup C/G. I know Miami wants him bad so I hope he doesn't end up there

I don't think signing or not signing Mathis has anything whatsoever to do with Miller.

Edited by The Dean

Is he subject to waivers?

Nope. He's free to sign anywhere...

Also Denver really needs OL help and he might see that as a great spot.

Yeah, that seems like a good landing spot. Manning always makes his OL look good...

Glenn - Mathis - Wood - Incognito - Henderson

Miller (G) - Urbik (C/G) - Kujo (T)

Miller inactive on game days.

Cuts - Williams and Richardson

Doesn't look to bad at all, Bills gotta make a run at the least, although can't say I like there chances. this is where the Harvin money really comes back to bite, not a guy that was needed with the scheme change and would have been much better spent on the OL.

Doesn't look to bad at all, Bills gotta make a run at the least, although can't say I like there chances. this is where the Harvin money really comes back to bite, not a guy that was needed with the scheme change and would have been much better spent on the OL.

This year. They have the option in his contract to opt out. If they don't that's 20m over the next 2 years they will save.

Miller is going to be playing from the sounds of it. They can cut Williams and pay Mathis $4M without a problem I believe.

Yeah, this year Harvin is not too expensive and I fully expect him to be a factor for us. We will see what they do about him after this. Would have to be a killer season not to void those next two years.

Miller is going to be playing from the sounds of it. They can cut Williams and pay Mathis $4M without a problem I believe.

And the good thing for Mathis is he might be a backup which would prolong his career while making a nice chunk of change. Though I doubt he would be a backup. Edited by The Wiz

And the good thing for Mathis is he might be a backup which would prolong his career while making a nice chunk of change. Though I doubt he would be a backup.

the dude didnt force his way out of pocketing about 12m the next two years to be a backup.

hes going to get a starting deal somewhere.

Cut Williams to save 2m, and there is the unfortunate possibility F.Jackson gets cut which is another 2(?)m. They can afford to pay Mathis what he was making before, maybe even more.

If Mathis is looking for less then five million per year, this signing has to happen.

his salary this year was slated to be 5.5m, and 6m next- not sure if any bonuses above that..... he was holding out for more money. just some perspective.

he was holding out for more money. just some perspective.

and he didn't get it.

I don't know how losing a holdout by getting released outright, and not traded, improves your bargaining position with the other 31 teams. IF somebody thought he was worth the money he was being paid, they would have traded for him.

So, we have to start with less than he was going to make the next 2 years, don't we? I mean, who releases an All-Pro, #2 PFF guard, unless the guy swears he isn't gonna play a single down without more $? Is Kelly's need for control worth dumping a guy like Mathis? We don't know. Regardless, Mathis gambled, and lost.

The rest of the teams have their perspective as well.

He'll want more than $4 million, however, as that was the sticking point in Philly.

May have to shuffle some other contracts around to pay him in the $6 million range over 2-3 years....

i don't know but 1) they both hate chip and 2) the bills said shady was one of their best recruiters during FA

He needed some friends to come to town so he finally had an excuse not to hang out with Boobie.

Cutting Chris Williams frees up only $2.5 million with a dead cap hit of $875,000. Another $2.7 million could be found by cutting Freddie (highly doubtful, but who knows given the depth at RB). Same for Boobie ($1.1 million cap save, $166,666 dead cap).

If they're comfortable with the progress of Duke Williams, they could keep Graham at corner and trade McLuv'n ($3.9 million in cap space, $1 million in dead cap).

I'd like to see them take a run at Mathis but suspect he'd prefer Denver or even Miami, since he's a southern boy and Miami-based Drew Rosenhaus is his agent...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Chip-really-did-it-Mathis-released.html?mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=2&307039281=Y&pid=307039281&cid=8500281#poll_questions_top

Edited by Lurker

This is exactly what McCoy meant when he called Kelly a racist. He was talking about top players who spoke their mind. At that point it was only black players that had been gotten rid of, and like it or not, a black guy (with good reason because of history although it may not be true) will perceive that as black entering into the equation. That whitey in power doesn't like anyone usurping or questioning or equaling that power and whitey ESPECIALLY does not like when it is a black guy.

McCoy was right then and he is right now. It's just not as much a black thing as he perceived it. Kelly doesn't like strong willed and loud mouthed players on his team.

Edited by Kelly the Dog