Hard to pass up at #50

There is a very good chance these guys don't make it to our pick at #50, but if they do, they would be really hard to pass up.

1. Dorial Green-Beckham WR - big target with great speed. Randy Moss 2.0

(Will drop due to character concerns)

2. Devin Funchess TE/WR - another big red zone threat

3. Cedric Ogbuehi OT - RT possibly LT (Will drop because of ACL surgery)

4. Benardrick McKinney ILB/OLB - Great size, good speed

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very good chance these guys don't make it to our pick at #50, but if they do, they would be really hard to pass up.

I think Funchess will be there. Not sure if he is a plsynskrt or difference maker to take mid 2nd round.

It wouldn't't be bad to pick up a big athletic WR/TE threat to counter Clay. Look how many teams have used the two TE sets to their advantage, and QB's who don't have laser accuracy can cheat a little with those size threats. I would still want Grey on the team as he showed flashes of talent in the last few games.

We really need a solid Guard though and you wonder was it zone blocking that didn't fit Richardson, and crews skills or are they really a bust from last year's guys. I believe now with Glenn a year away from that kidney infection, Henderson and Wood with a better Guard in. incognito, a stud Guard will mean a ton of running this year and two TE sets would be nice.

Whether it's Cassel or EJ, they should be in a better position to move the chains, and the defense gets more rest so they can get after it.

If we take Funchess in the second and the best available guard in the third i think our offense will be unstoppable, regardless of who our qb is. I also think one of our young olinemen could step up and fill the vacant guard spot.

It wouldn't't be bad to pick up a big athletic WR/TE threat to counter Clay. Look how many teams have used the two TE sets to their advantage, and QB's who don't have laser accuracy can cheat a little with those size threats. I would still want Grey on the team as he showed flashes of talent in the last few games.

We really need a solid Guard though and you wonder was it zone blocking that didn't fit Richardson, and crews skills or are they really a bust from last year's guys. I believe now with Glenn a year away from that kidney infection, Henderson and Wood with a better Guard in. incognito, a stud Guard will mean a ton of running this year and two TE sets would be nice.

Whether it's Cassel or EJ, they should be in a better position to move the chains, and the defense gets more rest so they can get after it.

Richardson was what, a 5th round pick? A 5th round pick is something like a 1 in 8 chance of having a decent career. If he makes it great, if he doesn't *shrug*. The only reason we expect more from Henderson is that by talent he was a much higher draft choice, who dropped due to character concerns.

I don't know wth it was with the OL but they often seemed just confused last year.

I want a stud guard in the draft.

Best lineman available, whom ever the FO determines that to be. That is a huge hole we need to fill. Edited by DirtDart

If we take Funchess in the second and the best available guard in the third i think our offense will be unstoppable, regardless of who our qb is. I also think one of our young olinemen could step up and fill the vacant guard spot.

All these WRs don't mean a squat if the guy throwing the ball cannot be accurate and the OL protecting the QB does not give enough time

Love DGB and was hoping for the off chance that he'd fall to 50, before we got Percy. Now that the free agency dust has settled it really has to be best OL available. Although I'd be thrilled if we got Benardrick but there's no way he's there at 50.

There's a lot of good RB's in the draft and RB's have not been taken in the 1st round of recent drfts so there's a good chance that a really good RB will be there at 50. Maybe Hurley maybe Adullah. Do we get a top tier RB at 50 and cut Fred?

Richardson was what, a 5th round pick? A 5th round pick is something like a 1 in 8 chance of having a decent career. If he makes it great, if he doesn't *shrug*. The only reason we expect more from Henderson is that by talent he was a much higher draft choice, who dropped due to character concerns.

I don't know wth it was with the OL but they often seemed just confused last year.

I want a stud guard in the draft.

Richardson was thought to be a 1st round pick a year prior. He isn't some "lunch pale" type of guy. He is a real talent, not your typical 5th rounder. Will he amount to a player? I have no idea but he was an All-American at Baylor.

Cedric is sliding and there is a chance he slides until 3rd or 4th. We could use a tackle though. We are good for bpa and could use help on D. Byron jones and any of the top 8 edge rushers would be tough to pass on. A 3-4 the pressure is from the outside backers and you can never have too many pass rushers(especially on a Rex team). Carl Davis would be tough to pass on too. Man I love bpa!

All these WRs don't mean a squat if the guy throwing the ball cannot be accurate and the OL protecting the QB does not give enough time

You have a firm grasp of the obvious......this has been repeated many times. Still need other talent besides QB.

You have a firm grasp of the obvious......this has been repeated many times. Still need other talent besides QB.

I don't know why the Bills bothered acquiring all of this talent this offseason without a QB to get them the ball!! They should have just thrown their hands up and realized if you don't have a QB nothing else matters because you won't win a game. It doesn't matter if you have Mario & Dareus or Mario & Luigi. Don't bother participating in FA or the draft. Don't worry about the other 21 starting spots, depth or ST. Just go get Aaron Rodgers or Drew Bree's if you want to be good. That is the only possible solution.

Zero interest in Funchess due to poor hands. They're so bad his teammates nicknamed him "d***fingers". If I'm the Bills I'm looking for a quality OG or WR prospect to be there. Hoping for Laken Tomlinson, OG or Nelson Agholor, WR to be available at 50.

Edited by BarleyNY

I hope they can trade down from 50 and pick up a fourth round pick or more.

i actually don't think that's a good strategy this year. Whaley doesn't even expect some of the picks we do have to make the roster the way it is currently structured with depth . We don't need more later picks, we need our first two picks to be high quality immediate starting caliber players in some key areas. Imo. Edited by YoloinOhio

Funchess can't block and has too many drops. dgb pushed a women down the stairs- no thank you to both. We only have 2 high picks and need to get them right

Funchess is a more athletic Kelvin Benjamin. Dude has a video on youtube jumping and kissing the rim of a basketball hoop. He has freakish athletic talent. I liked Benjamin last year as a luxury choice - this year we can take some luxury.

As a hyrbid WR/TE with Clay and Gray and darkhorse Gragg I think we fill out skillset positions just fine and focus on OL and depth on D. These contracts on D won't last forever.

Here would be the hard to pass up list for me at 50:

Any of the non-injured OTs: Peat, Collins, Clemmings, Humphries or Flowers slides -- Humphries in particular if some teams are worried about his youth. The draft is deep at G -- Scherff, Cann, Jackson, Tomlinson, Miller, Shaq Mason and some T's who will be guards in the pros -- Williams (OK), Brown (Louisville)..Bills can wait

A large D lineman -- Jordan Phillips and Carl Davis

Another ILB -- McKinney, Perryman or Kendricks--all show 3 down ability

Rex loves corners -- Just keep this in mind....one of the corners with a first round grade slides

For later round slips-here are some guys that I think fit the schemes...and could get playing time this year and be held in reserve for future veteran departures -- in the spirit of the Whaley article from Carruci Yolo posted above..

RD 3:

Shaq Thompson -- swiss army knife Rex would love to scheme for...

RD 5 and 6:

Jamon Brown- Louisville-An OT in a Guards body and mentality

Anthony Harris - S - UVA

Ben Koyack- TE - ND Quality blocker with receiving skill that can be developed

Antwan Goodley - WR Baylor

David Johnson - UNI RB

Tony Lippett - WR MSU - good skills as a WR and also played corner effectively this year in a game...

RD 7:

Zach Wagenmann - OLB Montana...

Zach Zenner - South Dakota State RB/FB

Edited by Formerly Joe F

I think there is an outside chance that Maxx Wiliams is on the board at # 50. I think we would jump on him as Roman likes a 2 TE offense. Funches can't block and this does not appeal to Roman.

Think of Funchess as a big WR and not a TE. He won't be asked to block like a TE in the NFL.

I hope they can trade down from 50 and pick up a fourth round pick or more.

i actually don't think that's a good strategy this year. Whaley doesn't even expect some of the picks we do have to make the roster the way it is currently structured with depth . We don't need more later picks, we need our first two picks to be high quality immediate starting caliber players in some key areas. Imo.

Great thoughts here. This is what makes a message board.

i actually don't think that's a good strategy this year. Whaley doesn't even expect some of the picks we do have to make the roster the way it is currently structured with depth . We don't need more later picks, we need our first two picks to be high quality immediate starting caliber players in some key areas. Imo.

The bolded part i agree 100% upon ^_^

I think this is a good read on Whaley's philosophy on the 2015 draft in case anyone didn't see it in the BN

http://t.co/zLc8WCRtYQ

:thumbsup:

Are we really in a position to spend our highest draft pick on a WR with such a glaring hole at OL?

I don't think so but Whaley CLEARLY wants a big WR. If you think about it the Bills have Harvin on a 1 year deal and only 2 other WR on the roster. They were 31st in receiving yards out of the slot last year and miserable in the red zone. While it may not look like a need on the surface it will be a need soon.

I still think that they are going to get a veteran starting caliber OL. They will draft 1 as well and have 3 2nd year guys that they will try to develop.

Are we really in a position to spend our highest draft pick on a WR with such a glaring hole at OL?

Thats what Whaley has been alluding to !?

But i might guess its a game of mirrors and smoke by now for the GMs trying to gain some more players.

Keep thinking they have something in their "back pocket" for the O line. either its already there or they have some one on the phone already waiting.

They are putting on very good game face imho. pretty cool really.

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't think so but Whaley CLEARLY wants a big WR. If you think about it the Bills have Harvin on a 1 year deal and only 2 other WR on the roster. They were 31st in receiving yards out of the slot last year and miserable in the red zone. While it may not look like a need on the surface it will be a need soon.

I still think that they are going to get a veteran starting caliber OL. They will draft 1 as well and have 3 2nd year guys that they will try to develop.

Good argument. It's possible they view the OGs as currently on the roster. It surely will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I really don't think Funchess meets a glaring need. I'm a for BPA, but you have to use that theory through a lense. We have much bigger holes to fill (OL, ILB, DT)

Bradham and Brown are the ILB's and Rex only carried 3 with the Jets...they currently have Powell, and might bring back Spikes.

ILB is not a "need."

Another TE is more of a need, although I think they need a blocker, not another receiver, at the position. (Jermaine Gresham, when he's healthy, if he's cheap, fits perfect.)

I agree with that as well...if DGB is there at #50, I see no way you can pass on him. He brings an element to the Bills offense I don't think we have ever had, at least not in 15+ years.

Bradham and Brown are the ILB's and Rex only carried 3 with the Jets...they currently have Powell, and might bring back Spikes.

ILB is not a "need."

Another TE is more of a need, although I think they need a blocker, not another receiver, at the position. (Jermaine Gresham, when he's healthy, if he's cheap, fits perfect.)

It's possible Bradham is an OLB in this system, we know nothing about Powell. Spikes is not a done deal. They are lacking a thumper in the middle.

About your TE ideas, I agree that Funchess is more of a receiver and something we don't need. But this thread is about #50, not post-op Veterans. If you're looking for a TE at 50, Clive Walford might be the pick

Here would be the hard to pass up list for me at 50:

Any of the non-injured OTs: Peat, Collins, Clemmings, Humphries or Flowers slides -- Humphries in particular if some teams are worried about his youth. The draft is deep at G -- Scherff, Cann, Jackson, Tomlinson, Miller, Shaq Mason and some T's who will be guards in the pros -- Williams (OK), Brown (Louisville)..Bills can wait

A large D lineman -- Jordan Phillips and Carl Davis

Another ILB -- McKinney, Perryman or Kendricks--all show 3 down ability

Rex loves corners -- Just keep this in mind....one of the corners with a first round grade slides

For later round slips-here are some guys that I think fit the schemes...and could get playing time this year and be held in reserve for future veteran departures -- in the spirit of the Whaley article from Carruci Yolo posted above..

RD 3:

Shaq Thompson -- swiss army knife Rex would love to scheme for...

RD 5 and 6:

Jamon Brown- Louisville-An OT in a Guards body and mentality

Anthony Harris - S - UVA

Ben Koyack- TE - ND Quality blocker with receiving skill that can be developed

Antwan Goodley - WR Baylor

David Johnson - UNI RB

Tony Lippett - WR MSU - good skills as a WR and also played corner effectively this year in a game...

RD 7:

Zach Wagenmann - OLB Montana...

Zach Zenner - South Dakota State RB/FB

Scherff won't make it to #20, let alone #50...Shaq Thompson is not falling out of the 1st round either, especially not to the 3rd round. Lol.

It's possible Bradham is an OLB in this system, we know nothing about Powell. Spikes is not a done deal. They are lacking a thumper in the middle.

About your TE ideas, I agree that Funchess is more of a receiver and something we don't need. But this thread is about #50, not post-op Veterans. If you're looking for a TE at 50, Clive Walford might be the pick

Rex had a 6-4, 260 lbs OLB and a 6-6, 280 lbs OLB with the Jets (Pace, Coples), I see no way Bradham fits that mold. Brown is 260 lbs and quite the thumper.

And as for TE, I don't care what the thread is about, my post wasn't about "post-op veterans," I just happened to add that Gresham is a specific player who fits the mold of what we need, and he could be cheap and not cost a draft pick. But if you want to take an unknown TE with your first pick, instead of something else, and fill that role with a cheap free agent...go for it.

And thanks for the heads up on Spikes not being a done deal, I wasn't sure, although I said they "MIGHT" bring him back, which if they do, eliminates the need to draft a MLB.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale