Hard to pass up at #50

I hope they can trade down from 50 and pick up a fourth round pick or more.

The Front Office might indeed trade away their 5, 6, and 7 picks to move up higher in the 2nd.

They could then maybe get Maxx and still get an OG in the 3rd - then take their families camping because they'd be done for awhile.

They will certainly be bringing in some June 1 folks for depth. QB is a 2016 Draft focus.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scherff won't make it to #20, let alone #50...Shaq Thompson is not falling out of the 1st round either, especially not to the 3rd round. Lol.

Teams are having trouble placing Shaq. I agree its likely he won't make it past the high 30's but some boards have him in the 70's. That's the concept of someone falling, right?

On Scherff -- never implied he would fall. What I wrote was the Bills could wait on G to the 3rd round or later because of depth of the position in the draft. The Bills however should grab one of the top 4 or 5 OTs if they fall to 50. Right now the Bills have 3 T's on the roster and one of those may not be an NFL caliber player (Cyrus). The position needs quality competition. There was a reason they went hard after Bulaga...

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Rex had a 6-4, 260 lbs OLB and a 6-6, 280 lbs OLB with the Jets (Pace, Coples), I see no way Bradham fits that mold. Brown is 260 lbs and quite the thumper.

And as for TE, I don't care what the thread is about, my post wasn't about "post-op veterans," I just happened to add that Gresham is a specific player who fits the mold of what we need, and he could be cheap and not cost a draft pick. But if you want to take an unknown TE with your first pick, instead of something else, and fill that role with a cheap free agent...go for it.

Believe me, I'm all for best OL at 50. I think we may be saying the same thing in different ways. Funchess does not fit a need.

With regards to Bradham, I see Rex utilizing a lot of 4-3 looks. We have the personel for it. Bradham is a great blitzed and a tackling machine. I wouldn't mark Brown as a thumper, like spikes. Denzel Perryman could be a replacement at 50

There is a very good chance these guys don't make it to our pick at #50, but if they do, they would be really hard to pass up.

1. Dorial Green-Beckham WR - big target with great speed. Randy Moss 2.0

(Will drop due to character concerns)

2. Devin Funchess TE/WR - another big red zone threat

3. Cedric Ogbuehi OT - RT possibly LT (Will drop because of ACL surgery)

4. Benardrick McKinney ILB/OLB - Great size, good speed

I am generally a BPA kind of guy, and don't like passing up talent for need.

That being said, the exception I have is when the need is a significant need compared to a player at a position of strength. In this case, I feel very strongly that this 2015 Buffalo Bills roster is in the top 5 overall in the NFL for talent.

Defense - Best front 4 in football, and one of the best overall front 7s in football (you can even argue best overall front 7). We have a strong secondary to go with it that is elevated by the front 7 even further. Overall, we will likely remain a top 4 unit this year and challenge for the top spot.

Special Teams - One of the most talented units in the NFL.

Offense - From a weapons perspective, we are loaded. Watkins, Woods, and Harvin are one of the better Trios in the league IMO. We have one of the best, if not the best RB stables in Football highlighted by one of the best in the NFL...some argue the best...in McCoy. Now we add an athletic and play making TE and Red Zone threat in Clay...and thats a unit poised to wreak havoc.

Best part is, we have depth at all the key positions in those units above outside maybe TE. The obvious glaring needs are stabilizing the QB position...doesnt have to be a hero, just someone who isn't going to lose us games and can make plays when we need him to make plays. And then of course, we need more depth and talent on the OL. Its a solid unit now IMO, but we could really use a Guard who can become a quality starter at least. We may have that guy on our roster from the draft last year, but they have yet to show that.

So, if a guy they like a lot for the OL or a QB prospect they really like is there when we pick, I would rather see us go that way based on what this team is poised to do as a whole. If a rare talent player falls at a position of strength, then its hard not to take him. But otherwise, I would rather gamble on the OL and QB prospect.

I know we have 4 QBs now, but its not like they are untouchable if the right QB prospect falls to us that they really like.

Edited by Alphadawg7

My pick is Jake Fisher from Oregon

That would be a great fit, but I can't see him sliding to 50. They may have to settle for Humphries or Ogbuehi.

Positionally, though, that's the top need. As it stands, there are only three OTs on the roster right now and it would be disasterous if Glenn went down. I think they need a movement-type swing OT that better fits Roman's scheme, so any of these three guys would work for me.

Speaking of Glenn, he really needs to regain his foot speed and/or get in better shape this year if he wants to get back to his early form...

That would be a great fit, but I can't see him sliding to 50. They may have to settle for Humphries or Ogbuehi.

Positionally, though, that's the top need. As it stands, there are only three OTs on the roster right now and it would be disasterous if Glenn went down. I think they need a movement-type swing OT that better fits Roman's scheme, so any of these three guys would work for me.

Speaking of Glenn, he really needs to regain his foot speed and/or get in better shape this year if he wants to get back to his early form...

I'm with you on this. Getting best OL allows Roman tons of options and it is definitely our greatest need

ive said it in other threads and realize it's relatively meaningless but in every mock I have done, fisher is there at 50. The draft experts apparently feel the OLs are going to be pushed down this year. Yay for us if he is.

ive said it in other threads and realize it's relatively meaningless but in every mock I have done, fisher is there at 50. The draft experts apparently feel the OLs are going to be pushed down this year.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/03/mel_kiper_doesnt_see_detroit_l.html

March 26...

"Jake Fisher, right now, is probably a guy that's moved up as much as anybody the last couple months," Kiper said during a Thursday conference call. "He's getting overlooked by a lot of people when you talk about mock drafts, for obvious reasons. He was projected more to be a (second-round pick), but it wouldn't shock me if he went more in the 25-to-32 range."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/03/mel_kiper_doesnt_see_detroit_l.html

March 26...

"Jake Fisher, right now, is probably a guy that's moved up as much as anybody the last couple months," Kiper said during a Thursday conference call. "He's getting overlooked by a lot of people when you talk about mock drafts, for obvious reasons. He was projected more to be a (second-round pick), but it wouldn't shock me if he went more in the 25-to-32 range."

Based on where the Eagles draft and their willingness to trade their best guard, I will assume he's on their short list of players they want to draft.

That being said, while I feel fisher will be a good player, I think he will be far better in a zone blocking scheme and not a man power.

Edited by frogger

I think he will be far better in a zone blocking scheme and not a man power.

That's his rep, but it seems to apply to most of the "movement-type" OTs with low 1st to 2nd round grades. Hard to get a road grader-type that can also dance at that spot in the draft.

At this point, with the other OTs on the roster being more mauler/grader types, I think guys like Fischer, Humpries or Ogbuehe are they kinds of players that would compliment them--or more likely, be better suited to Roman's scheme...

Vid from Jake fisher (75) vs OSU DL in NC game. Bosa (97) was his biggest matchup and the one scouts will likely pay close attention to when grading because he's as close as you will find in cfb to a speed/power rushing NFL DE. But they move him around a lot and fisher also took on DT Michael Bennett (53), a 1st-2nd rd DT, Steve miller(88) and adolphus Washington (92). One thing I noticed in that game is a nasty streak. He was truly pissed when Mariota got hit.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jake-fisher-vs-ohio-state-2014/

Edited by YoloinOhio

Vid from Jake fisher (75) vs OSU DL in NC game. Bosa (97) was his biggest matchup and the one scouts will likely pay close attention to when grading because he's as close as you will find in cfb to a speed/power rushing NFL DE.

He had a bit of troble with Hau'oli Kikaha in the Washingon game, but then who didn't (he's be an intriguing OLB pick as well at 50 and could get mentored by Manny Lawson, IMO)

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2015/01/2015-nfl-draft-prospect-to-watch-jake-fisher-ot-oregon/

He had a bit of troble with Hau'oli Kikaha in the Washingon game, but then who didn't (he's be an intriguing OLB pick as well at 50 and could get mentored by Manny Lawson, IMO)

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2015/01/2015-nfl-draft-prospect-to-watch-jake-fisher-ot-oregon/

He was holding a TON in the Osu game. I can't remember how many times it was called but it wasn't enough.

Joe Banner tweeted this and I think he's being straightforward. The media narratives about guys shooting up the draft board is their own banter to create pre-draft storylines. They have to trust the tape more than combine and pro day stuff.

@JoeBanner13: People need to realize that all this media talk of people rising and falling is BS. A few players move modestly on team boards at this point

Edited by YoloinOhio

Joe Banner tweeted this and I think he's being straightforward. The media narratives about guys shooting up the draft board is their own banter to create pre-draft storylines. They have to trust the tape more than combine and pro day stuff.

@JoeBanner13: People need to realize that all this media talk of people rising and falling is BS. A few players move modestly on team boards at this point

That's correct, IMO.

But only because the draftnick guys who were wildly off at the beginning of the process start to hone in on what teams are are actually thinking (and sort of triangulate better on the real draft ratings that teams have as they build their boards).

By the time draft day rolls around, the Kipers of the world are pretty much on target and everyone thinks they're savvy gurus. Rinse and repeat enough and you can build a career out of it--sort of like political analysis or fashion reporting.

I miss Joel Buchsbaum more and more with each passing year...

Edited by Lurker

i actually don't think that's a good strategy this year. Whaley doesn't even expect some of the picks we do have to make the roster the way it is currently structured with depth . We don't need more later picks, we need our first two picks to be high quality immediate starting caliber players in some key areas. Imo.

I thought Whaley quoted as saying that there are no starting positions open on this team and they really need QUALITY Depth. I wouldn't mind trading down in the 2nd round if it will net us additional picks. We need good depth on

OL

LB

CB

Our safety position is unknown with the departure of Searcy. Our OL is still an unknown; I expect the sophomore players to be able to step up. We spent significant draft choices on the OL last year. We can't go back to putting high draft picks again there.

I thought Whaley quoted as saying that there are no starting positions open on this team and they really need QUALITY Depth. I wouldn't mind trading down in the 2nd round if it will net us additional picks. We need good depth on

OL

LB

CB

Our safety position is unknown with the departure of Searcy. Our OL is still an unknown; I expect the sophomore players to be able to step up. We spent significant draft choices on the OL last year. We can't go back to putting high draft picks again there.

He said there were no open starting spots EXCEPT GUARD.

As much as BPA is being played up, all signs seem to be O-Line. Now is misinformation season, but a lot of what Whaley is saying seems right in line with most of our thoughts regarding the roster. The two biggest needs on the roster (outside of the questionable QB spot) are the oline and a big receiving threat, this meshes with Whaley's recent comments.

Richardson was thought to be a 1st round pick a year prior. He isn't some "lunch pale" type of guy. He is a real talent, not your typical 5th rounder. Will he amount to a player? I have no idea but he was an All-American at Baylor.

If he were out of the league and gay he'd get a new thread every 28 days.

Yep. The only guys who really make moves on team boards at this stage are guys they have in for workouts and even then they are not jumping up an entire round or half a round they are small moves. If a team has two guys at a position that they think are pretty similar on their game film and measurables and they have both in for a visit and one impresses more than the other that one moves ahead a little, but it really isn't much more than that.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yep. The only guys who really make moves on team boards at this stage are guys they have in for workouts and even then they are not jumping up an entire round or half a round they are small moves. If a team has two guys at a position that they think are pretty similar on their game film and measurables and they have both in for a visit and one impresses more than the other that one moves ahead a little, but it really isn't much more than that.

The rising and falling happens on guys like Kiper's board. He's now receiving the info from teams about where guys should actually be placed. Media experts like him (who realistically don't know any more than any of us who actively watch college football every Saturday) aren't going to come out and say "I completely botched this guy, he's a 2nd rounder instead of a top 10 pick" so they speak in code and say "he's falling down the draft board". Look at a guy like Kiper's first mock drafts every year and how much movement happens vs the actual draft, guys aren't moving that drastically on team boards based upon some interviews and underwear Olympics.

The rising and falling happens on guys like Kiper's board. He's now receiving the info from teams about where guys should actually be placed. Media experts like him (who realistically don't know any more than any of us who actively watch college football every Saturday) aren't going to come out and say "I completely botched this guy, he's a 2nd rounder instead of a top 10 pick" so they speak in code and say "he's falling down the draft board". Look at a guy like Kiper's first mock drafts every year and how much movement happens vs the actual draft, guys aren't moving that drastically on team boards based upon some interviews and underwear Olympics.

Agreed.

Don't sleep Stephone Anthony at #50. Rex spent a lot of time at Clemson, and it probably wasn't just to see his son. I'm still on the "Belldozer" train. This guy is a freakish athlete and wouldn't be surprised if he's high on the Bills list. Maybe the Bills trade their 5th round picks to move to 4 and get him. Don't think he'll last past the 4th round

Funchess is a more athletic Kelvin Benjamin. Dude has a video on youtube jumping and kissing the rim of a basketball hoop. He has freakish athletic talent. I liked Benjamin last year as a luxury choice - this year we can take some luxury.

As a hyrbid WR/TE with Clay and Gray and darkhorse Gragg I think we fill out skillset positions just fine and focus on OL and depth on D. These contracts on D won't last forever.

He isn't a very good football player. He is and will not ever be in Kelvin Benjamin's class.

I think there is an outside chance that Maxx Wiliams is on the board at # 50. I think we would jump on him as Roman likes a 2 TE offense. Funches can't block and this does not appeal to Roman.

Or catch.... but what an athlete !!

Bradham and Brown are the ILB's and Rex only carried 3 with the Jets...they currently have Powell, and might bring back Spikes.

ILB is not a "need."

Another TE is more of a need, although I think they need a blocker, not another receiver, at the position. (Jermaine Gresham, when he's healthy, if he's cheap, fits perfect.)

I agree with that as well...if DGB is there at #50, I see no way you can pass on him. He brings an element to the Bills offense I don't think we have ever had, at least not in 15+ years.

If DGB is there @ #50 it's because they found out he was Aaron Hernandez's trigger man. Not happening. I really like the idea of a guard. Obviously, if they are there :Laken Tomlinson from Duke, A.J. Cann from South Carolina and Jarvis Harrison from Texas A&M would be sweet. I also like Mitch Morse (Missouri) or Jon Feliciano (The U.) in the 5th- 6th range. Line of scrimmage people !!I think those first three guys are better than any on our current roster @ Guard and Morse is a very good athlete and can move and Feliciano is not a good athlete but is a tough guy.

Spot on IMO