[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

I don't think that the Cleveland visit will last long. "Here is what is on the table from the Bills..."

You honestly don't think the agent has been communicating this? Maybe he will be flying back and forth with that little piece of paper that you write a number on and flip over...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You honestly don't think the agent has been communicating this? Maybe he will be flying back and forth with that little piece of paper that you write a number on and flip over...

I'm sure that it has which is why they are taking the trip. He may also want to get a sense for the facility. The point was that he must know what Cleveland is thinking.

My guess is he signs with Cleveland. That is the way things have been going down this off season. Whenever someone comes in and leaves without a contract, they usually sign somewhere else.

Unless they offer something like twice the contract, why would he choose Cleveland?

Unless they offer something like twice the contract, why would he choose Cleveland?

I think an extra million here or there means a lot more to these guys than most of us think. To us proles, it may seem like there isn't a big difference between seven and eight or eight and nine million. But I'm willing to bet that these guys don't think the same way.

All these guys are competitors - they want to win. But I'm pretty sure most of them just want to get paid as much as they can while they still command seven or eight figures. To Clay, an extra million may be worth more to him than winning a few more games or playing for Rex or whatever silly X-factor you guys think the Bills might have.

I think an extra million here or there means a lot more to these guys than most of us think. To us proles, it may seem like there isn't a big difference between seven and eight or eight and nine million. But I'm willing to bet that these guys don't think the same way.

All these guys are competitors - they want to win. But I'm pretty sure most of them just want to get paid as much as they can while they still command seven or eight figures. To Clay, an extra million may be worth more to him than winning a few more games or playing for Rex or whatever silly X-factor you guys think the Bills might have.

Plus, Clay hasn't made much money in his career. This is likely his only chance to really cash in.

Clay is visiting Cleveland, and the Browns want him bad. This will be interesting. Also I'm not sure if Clay will officially sign an offer sheet until Suh's deal hits the books in Miami. Of course he could still make a choice and come to terms before then.

Has anyone confirmed that he's left town?

I've only seen the tweet that said that Mike Tannenbaum confirmed that he's "visiting with Cleveland in addition to the Bills"...that is very nondescript.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/03/12/report-clay-to-visit-browns/

"That according to Palm Beach Post reporter Andrew Abramson, who cited Dolphins Executive VP of Football Operations as his source confirming that Clay will visit with Cleveland before signing any offer sheets."

Hmmm...wonder if he's left town...

Why is everyone freaking out? That's what free agency is. If I'm a young guy who isn't getting the blockbuster contract there are concerns more than just immediate money. Especially if you take a big money first year or two and underperform you get a rep like Mike Wallace. I'd want to know what the coaches have to say first.

Why is everyone freaking out? That's what free agency is. If I'm a young guy who isn't getting the blockbuster contract there are concerns more than just immediate money. Especially if you take a big money first year or two and underperform you get a rep like Mike Wallace. I'd want to know what the coaches have to say first.

Who's freaking out?

Quote some...

Uhhhhhh...

My guess is he signs with Cleveland. That is the way things have been going down this off season. Whenever someone comes in and leaves without a contract, they usually sign somewhere else.

Yeah - I don't like the way this smells.

I can't imagine he'd leave to visit Cleveland without an offer in hand and I can't imagine Cleveland would bring him in if they couldn't match it.

The problem is, you don't know if it's a done deal for a week (until Dolphins react), right? That holding pattern allows a lot of other players you might like to sign elsewhere.

Yes, but they knew that going into trying to make this deal happen. They are going after "their guy" and apparently feel confident it will work... If they didn't cut Chandler for Clay, maybe it was for someone else....

Yes, but they knew that going into trying to make this deal happen. They are going after "their guy" and apparently feel confident it will work... If they didn't cut Chandler for Clay, maybe it was for someone else....

Word is Chandler's money was used to pay Easley and Wynn

I don't get the fascination with Clay. Not a very good blocker, receiving numbers are less than Chandler with a better qb. I think that we could spend that money better like o-line help.

If you are comparing his receiving numbers to Chandler's you are missing the point. It is about what Clay can force defenses to do with his versatility. I feel like a broken record saying it but there is a reason that multiple teams are fighting over this guy.

If you are comparing his receiving numbers to Chandler's you are missing the point. It is about what Clay can force defenses to do with his versatility. I feel like a broken record saying it but there is a reason that multiple teams are fighting over this guy.

And he is is good blocker.

Remember, as much as the Bills may want Clay, every player has his price. If the Browns hypothetically offer him more than the Bills, that will mean that the Browns placed a higher premium on Clay than the Bills did. Should that happen, I think when we see the contract terms, we will be probably agree that the Bills were wise not to pay Gronk money for a guy who is good but not THAT good.

According to spotrac your kind of way off for 2015. I add up 29.3 million for those 4 players. Now they have some other huge chunks taking up cap room like Ellerbe, Albert, Grimmes, and Wake this year.

because tannehill hasnt signed a deal yet (thats a 15-20m contract thats likely a little low on guarantees ala the second tier qbs, but still PAYS them even if year to year), and I said AVERAGES. if its 30m this year and 90m next year, i wont complain either. Suh may only be 6m in 2015 but hes still got to account for the other 108m in the next 5 years. That 25m signing bonus didnt just disappear. Edited by NoSaint

Remember, as much as the Bills may want Clay, every player has his price. If the Browns hypothetically offer him more than the Bills, that will mean that the Browns placed a higher premium on Clay than the Bills did. Should that happen, I think when we see the contract terms, we will be probably agree that the Bills were wise not to pay Gronk money for a guy who is good but not THAT good.

it will look very bad if the Browns drop all that money on a TE when they ignored their own guys like Sheard, Skrine, trading for Marshall, going after a pass rusher, DT, etc. That they really need. Saying they will only pay for "right player, right price"

The point of a tight end is to catch the ball, gain yards and score touchdowns. Numbers are the point. What does he "force defenses to do with his versatility"? He is a better blocker than Chandler but not for 3X the salary.

The point of a tight end is to catch the ball, gain yards and score touchdowns. Numbers are the point. What does he "force defenses to do with his versatility"? He is a better blocker than Chandler but not for 3X the salary.

The point is to make defenses account for him and to be able to disguise things. Part of the reason that Lee Smith was useless is because he could be covered by a DE. You could just put an extra OL out there and be more productive. If he were any sort of threat in the passing game a LB at least would be necessary.

Clay can line up in the backfield, pick up blitzers, carry the ball, go into the flat, line up as a traditional TE, line up in the slot or line up out wide. What defensive package do you put on the field when you see him in the huddle? That is why teams are fighting for him and why when Chandler was on the market last year no one even brought him in for a visit. They are not even in the same league as players.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

26 245 9.4 2

Vernon Davis stats last year. If TE is so important in Romans offense then why are Davis'stats so weak? Yes, he had one good year in'13 but otherwise his stats are similiar to Chandlers.

The 3 years prior in Roman's offense he produced well. Might be that age is catching up with him.

The Browns have the worst set of offensive skill players in the league. Clay will be the main focus and get shut down there.

That is also a big draw to him that he would be the focal point and put up numbers. Guys want the ball. He would be a little more active in the games for the Browns but they will suck.