[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant referring to his ability

ahhh, ok....this doesn't matter but I've had him in fantasy football. He is a good player...more of an HB/WR so there are matchup problems.He's not great but I think he's good

I don't remember this guy from watching the dolphins. I just looked at his statistics (very similar to Chandler's last year) and can't figure out why this former 6th round pick is getting so much attention.

He averages under 4 catches a game with modest yardage and td numbers. He's not big.

are there any dolphin fans or maybe fantasy football owners who can explain why he is being paid as a game-changing tight end?

Versatility. He's a bit like Aaron Hernandez as a guy who can lineup as an in-line TE, lineup in the backfield as a fullback or split wide.

To put it in perspective of our roster, he's what Marquis Gray and Chris Gragg hope to be on their best days.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

he is more of an H-Back/WR type that causes match up problems because it is difficult to cover him with a LB or a safety. Lines up in backfield or the slot very often...not much of a blocker...more of a receiver

I don't see it. I watch a ton of Miami games being in Lauderdale and the guys flashes but isn't close to the Hernandez level as mentioned above (minus the homicides). Tannehill is very inconsistent but that could be attributed to their OL play. Clay is a decent TE but def 2nd tier and shouldn't get that huge pay day. He's the best of a bad situation. And timing is right for him to get paid. But I will gladly eat my words.

I don't see it. I watch a ton of Miami games being in Lauderdale and the guys flashes but isn't close to the Hernandez level as mentioned above (minus the homicides). Tannehill is very inconsistent but that could be attributed to their OL play. Clay is a decent TE but def 2nd tier and shouldn't get that huge pay day. He's the best of a bad situation. And timing is right for him to get paid. But I will gladly eat my words.

He's nowhere near Hernandez, but he's clearly better than Gray/Gragg. Plan A was Revis. Plan B was Iupati/Boling/Bulaga. They took their swing and missed. A player like Clay upgrades our talent level, at this point I'd be happy to have a player of Clay's level come here.

I don't remember this guy from watching the dolphins. I just looked at his statistics (very similar to Chandler's last year) and can't figure out why this former 6th round pick is getting so much attention.

He averages under 4 catches a game with modest yardage and td numbers. He's not big.

are there any dolphin fans or maybe fantasy football owners who can explain why he is being paid as a game-changing tight end?

Clay is 6th in TE catches the last 2 years. I dont know what people think a TE does? There are only a couple elite guys.

Rex had to game plan for him, he really wants him. Listen to Luke Kuechly, a guy who had to cover hm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWG57mmw-wY

Yes, I don't see a player anywhere near the 8 mill mark if that is true...worried about this possible deal.

if it's just money you're worried about just relax....it's not yours and the Bills seem to know how to handle contracts and the salary cap. Teams have to spend a minimum each year, I think it's 90% of the cap, which is about $125M, and some players are going to get more money than you think they deserve.

He's well rounded, an underrated blocker and a matchup problem. He is miles ahead of Chandler in terms of being a threat. Clay is a rich man's Delanie Walker. Roman envisions him as Vernon Davis in the Bills offense. He offers a lot of scheme diversity as he can be an h-back, slot guy or be on the LOS. Without a doubt he would be the best TE that the Bills have had since at least Riemersma and possibly longer.

Miami was high enough on him to use the transition tag and REALLY want to keep him. That should tell you quite a bit about the player. Whenever I see a team trying to keep one of their own I think that particular guy is someone that you should be excited to have on your team.

I have been anti-clay on here for the past few days, and quite vocal about it (to the point of annoying others im sure)

with that said, im kind of coming around on him....my biggest points were that, as stated by the OP (although I have watched him quite a bit - Clay, not the OP, thats creepy), he does not overwhelm with size, speed or stats...but he really does seem to do a lot of things very well, and im starting to think could do things even better in a better offense

The biggest draw, and why im starting to change my view on signing on him, is what he brings to our potential offense. When he is on the field we can be more successful at hiding what we want to do in both the run and the pass game, he can move from the backfield to the line and vice versa, he can hit the flats, go routes, stay in pass pro and then even slide underneath, screen passes, as well as be a traditional TE....basically, he can bring an element that we have not had as an offense in a long time AND a weapon that Roman has proven he can effectively succeed with

I kind of think I want him now?