[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice highlight vid. I feel better about the guy. Still kinda strange he would be the highest paid player on the offense next to shady, but maybe that will push him even more.

Part of that is due to our other skill players being on rookie contracts, and/or simply being mediocre.

He's a way better athlete than someone like Chandler. He has better balance and leaping ability. He plays like a WR and can run the ball out of the backfield. He gives options, which we don't really have at that position.

Thanks to those who responded. Some good info there, particularly from those who've seen him a lot. So I'm getting this:

- Versatile TE/H-back

- Very good all around, but not great

- Creates mismatches

- Will probably require some overpayment

I'd wager that the Bills don't have much choice but to go after him and overpay a bit. I absolutely love players that bring this kind of versatility. I am rarely a fan of overpaying a player, but the Bills are clearly trying to set themselves up to win in the short term and an above average TE would help greatly. Overpaying somewhat for players like this is one consequence of missing so many draft picks this year. It is what it is.

I saw that McCoy, Felton, and Cassel were at Tempo last night. I wonder if Clay was there. I'm guessing he's out house hunting as we speak. They said he wanted to try and see what the houses were like in the area. So that's a good sign I suppose. Any realtors on the board that have any inside info?

Clay is 6th in TE catches the last 2 years. I dont know what people think a TE does? There are only a couple elite guys.

Rex had to game plan for him, he really wants him. Listen to Luke Kuechly, a guy who had to cover hm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWG57mmw-wY

Just what the heck would a guy like Kooklie know about how good a TE is? As for the flashy highlight video - nice photoshop work. Anybody can put together a highlight reel like that with flashy music and snips of film from their high school plays.

The resident experts here on TE excellence are worried, concerned, and frankly pizzed off that our shabby front office would even sniff at a guy like this. They want Gronk or at least a guy who's better than Gronk, younger, and for a lot less money than Gronk gets. Get it?

Anybody else getting the feeling that Miami is waiting on signing suh to see what the bills or other teams offer clay?

That hadn't crossed my mind but it is an interesting thought. That makes a ton of sense.

Bills waiting to see Suh's deal in Miami before making Clay offer sheet but I'm told will be heavily frontloaded ($9M or more in 2015)...

I have been anti-clay on here for the past few days, and quite vocal about it (to the point of annoying others im sure)

with that said, im kind of coming around on him....my biggest points were that, as stated by the OP (although I have watched him quite a bit - Clay, not the OP, thats creepy), he does not overwhelm with size, speed or stats...but he really does seem to do a lot of things very well, and im starting to think could do things even better in a better offense

The biggest draw, and why im starting to change my view on signing on him, is what he brings to our potential offense. When he is on the field we can be more successful at hiding what we want to do in both the run and the pass game, he can move from the backfield to the line and vice versa, he can hit the flats, go routes, stay in pass pro and then even slide underneath, screen passes, as well as be a traditional TE....basically, he can bring an element that we have not had as an offense in a long time AND a weapon that Roman has proven he can effectively succeed with

I kind of think I want him now?

This is what has me sold. Well, that and dolphin fans getting upset he might be leaving.

Let's all be honest, Chandler has little versatility. He's not making any of the plays shown in the video of Top 100 players that Clay made. He does a few things well and is a decent blocker. IMO, he'd be a great #2 TE. Then let Gray and Gragg battle out the number 3 spot with the 4th guy playing special teams, stashed deep in the roster, or cut.