Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

When all is said, Matt Cassel is basically Kyle Orton 2.0 folks. They're both 6-4 230ish pocket passers. They both have career completion around 59-60%. TD/INT ratio is almost identical at 101/69 and 96/70. Yards per completion nearly the same at 11.2 and 11.3. To a degree, it makes me wonder if the Bills told Orton that EJ was going to get his shot at being a starter this season. It would explain his retirement and just not wanting to go through the camp, preseason, etc., and possibly not be the starter. Maybe Matt Cassel sees this as his last chance of being a starter. He will earn almost $5 million for his one year of service this year. With that said, if he's the week 1 starter, I don't think the Bills are any better off at QB than they were last year with Orton at the helm. They're better off at RB of course, but even McCoy is a TBD considering the offensive line.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all is said, Matt Cassel is basically Kyle Orton 2.0 folks. They're both 6-4 230ish pocket passers. They both have career completion around 59-60%. TD/INT ratio is almost identical at 101/69 and 96/70. Yards per completion nearly the same at 11.2 and 11.3. To a degree, it makes me wonder if the Bills told Orton that EJ was going to get his shot at being a starter this season. It would explain his retirement and just not wanting to go through the camp, preseason, etc., and possibly not be the starter. Maybe Matt Cassel sees this as his last chance of being a starter. He will earn almost $5 million for his one year of service this year. With that said, if he's the week 1 starter, I don't think the Bills are any better off at QB than they were last year with Orton at the helm. They're better off at RB of course, but even McCoy is a TBD considering the offensive line.

Agreed. It's nothing against Cassel. He's had a solid career after never playing in college. But he is what he is. Same with Orton.

EJ needs to earn it but if it's close, IMO, you give the edge to EJ. As low as his percentage of being a franchise qb, we have a 10 year track record of Him not being good enough.

Love him as a backup/ mentor though. I think Orton was a douche and Cassel seems like a good dude.

Orton was all but retired when his ties were cut with Dallas in early summer. KO sat at home doing nothing until Buffalo called.

KO went back into retirement instead of getting flattened for 16 of 17 continuous Sundays!

Joe Chenelly

@jchenelly

Report: The #Bills-#Vikings Matt Cassel trade is contingent on a physical. Cassel has not yet reported for that physical.

Wasn't their a report Cassel wasn't happy traded to the Bills?

I can think of a couple reasons why this could fall apart.

Either the Vilings got a better offer from another team or the Bills have decided to go in another direction.

Another possibility of what could hv happened is maybe the trade was contingent on Cassel taking a pay cut as part of restructured contract and they couldn't agree.

Edited by Max997

Joe Chenelly

@jchenelly

Report: The #Bills-#Vikings Matt Cassel trade is contingent on a physical. Cassel has not yet reported for that physical.

If Cassell wasn't happy about the trade then he should retire. It's the best possible available situation for him in the NFL.

Define very solid NFL QB

Fitz could be described as very solid NFL QB, so too could Alex Smith and a Russel Wilson

some 2014 stats to compare

EJ Manuel Comp % 58.0, YPG 167.6

Meh Cassel Comp % 57.7, YPG 141.7

I am not trashing Meh, l am just saying if the 2 are = let the younger guy play!

I see that you are up to your old tricks again. "Meh" Cassel? Listen I don't like him that much either but you have to admit he's shown more in this league that EJ Womanuel, right? I mean Cassel had a great 2010 in which he threw for 27 TD's, 7 INT's and took his team to the playoffs. What has Womanuel shown us? I think it will be a tough competition between Cassel and Womanuel if that's the way it shakes out but I still think I'd give Cassel the nod. We'll see.

I see that you are up to your old tricks again. "Meh" Cassel? Listen I don't like him that much either but you have to admit he's shown more in this league that EJ Womanuel, right? I mean Cassel had a great 2010 in which he threw for 27 TD's, 7 INT's and took his team to the playoffs. What has Womanuel shown us? I think it will be a tough competition between Cassel and Womanuel if that's the way it shakes out but I still think I'd give Cassel the nod. We'll see.

Are you really making fun of Manuel by calling him a woman? Are you 12?

And of course, Cassel has done more. He's played like 7 more years.

Are you really making fun of Manuel by calling him a woman? Are you 12?

And of course, Cassel has done more. He's played like 7 more years.

I have stated it numerous times: I am OK with having differing opinions. You like EJ Manuel, others don't. So be it. But when this guy goes around mocking other QB's who have shown more in this league than Manuel ever has (or probably ever will for that matter), I'm just not cool with it. You adamantly defend a guy who did nothing but show up last year and suck so bad in camp and the preseason that he forced the coach and GM into a shouting match and then into making a desperation move in signing a QB who chews Skoal, has a beer gut and probably wasn't even working out, then loses his job to said guy and can't even get his job back when said guy sucks too. But you have the nerve to make fun of Matt Cassel? No. Sorry.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I have stated it numerous times: I am OK with having differing opinions. You like EJ Manuel, others don't. So be it. But when this guy goes around mocking other QB's who have shown more in this league than Manuel ever has (or probably ever will for that matter), I'm just not cool with it. You adamantly defend a guy who did nothing but show up last year and suck so bad in camp and the preseason that he forced the coach and GM into a shouting match and then into making a desperation move in signing a QB who chews Skoal, has a beer gut and probably wasn't even working out, then loses his job to said guy and can't even get his job back when said guy sucks too. But you have the nerve to make fun of Matt Cassel? No. Sorry.

Calling a guy who has been an average to below average Qb for 10 years meh is the same as calling Manuel a female? Ok.

I think you're a good poster but you are entering troll territory In regards to Manuel. But keep ripping a 24 year old who is playing the hardest position in sports. Like most Qbs, EJ will probably fail and you'll get your wish to brag about how right you were. Congrats.

As Cassell goes so will go the Bills. We can only go so far with grest defense and running. We need to have quality play at the most important position. Let's hope he is an improvement over last year's mess, because if he is the rest of the pieces are in the puzzle.

As Cassell goes so will go the Bills. We can only go so far with grest defense and running. We need to have quality play at the most important position. Let's hope he is an improvement over last year's mess, because if he is the rest of the pieces are in the puzzle.

Haha.

Joe Chenelly

@jchenelly

Damn, seems this guy was right. Again. Didn't see that posted anywhere else first.

Your quote is amazing. Right up there with when he said Brees was putting up "Star Wars" numbers against the Bills and also when Steve Tasker said that watching Fred Jackson was like watching someone pour a glass of water.

Oddly enough, it was from a game where Rex Ryan's Jets came into Orchard Park and absolutely pummeled the Bills, like men playing against boys--- the game with Donte's infamous whiff on LaDainian. They were definitely bullies.