Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably. But I would doubt that they make the trade unless they thought Cassell was a safe, decent option. He's better than these other guys. Roman has won with guys like him. I seriously doubt they bring in Hoyer after Cassell but Locker would not surprise me. He has the potential and upside.

I think the Bills have made their evaluation of the available and potentially available scrap heap veteran QBs and made their selection. I would be surprised if they signed another one. If one of the second tier college guys falls to them in the draft I would not be surprised if they took one, but I think they have their veteran guy to compete with EJ. As for Locker, I do not see the potential, but reasonable minds can disagree.

That's an irrelevant question, semantics notwithstanding. If there is a QB in FA who is better than Cassel, would they be less likely to sign with the Bills now that we have acquired Cassel, feeling that Cassel would decrease their chances of becoming the starter? If that makes them "afraid of EJ and now Cassel," (it doesn't) then so what? If they are a better option than Cassel, then yes, I want them.

If they won't sign with the Bills because of Cassel, they are likely on the same level as Cassel and pointless to sign.

Locker/Cassel/EJ is an upgrade at the QB rotation.

McCoy is a HUGE upgrade at the RB position.

Rex is an upgrade at the HC position and DC position (although Schwartz was also very good). Roman is an upgrade at the OC position.

IF they can sign Hughes all I see are upgrades all over the place on a 9-7 team.

Wait, when did we sign Locker?

He's different than Orton. Don't know if I'd say worse or better, just different.

OK, here's my assessment of Cassel FWIW. Overall I like it and assume his foot is healed and he comes around to the notion of B'lo, I think it's a good move for us. I hope we have language getting us out of the picks if he retires or doesn't report since reportedly he is not happy with a move to B'lo.

I know people like to diss off statistics, but work with me here.

First thing I see is he's a system guy. He had a good year with NWE in a system in 2008 - in fact about as good a year as you could expect an unheralded backup with no experience to have - and then another good year in a system in 2010.

He sucked in 2009. As many INTs as TDs and an ungodly 14 fumbles. So in 2009 what happened? Ah HA! That was the year Todd Haley fired Chan Gailey after the 3rd preseason game, threw out his offense, and took over as OC. I think we might give Matt a bit of a pass on that year, given the circs and that he came back nicely the following year under Charlie Weiss.

So what is the system that suits him?

2008 NWE: Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. The run is important to McDaniels now and it was then: NE runs an offense that is 49% rushes and produced >2000 yds rushing with a stable of 4 RBs

Welker and Moss both had 1000+ yd seasons as receivers, along with the RBs - at a guess, lots of short 3-4 yd dump offs that went for 3-4 extra YAC combined with a handful of deep bombs to Moss when the D tried to choke down on the middle of the field and the run.

2010 Chiefs: OC Charlie Weis. Even more run-centered offense with 54% run attempts for 2600 yds split between Jamaal Charles and his backup, who almost gets to 900 yds. Similar thing on the passing game - short passes to Charles and Moeaki with YAC go for about half the yards, deep bombs to Dwayne Bowe for >1000 yds.

I don't know specifics of the kind of offense run for the next 2 years in KC, except to say that Cassel sucked in whatever system they ran in 2012.

It's not true that he's done nothing but get worse for the last 4 years - actually in 2013 for the Vikes he had a good year , going above 60% completions and 7 YPA for the 2nd time in his career. Again, I don't know much about the offense they ran, but I'm fairly sure it was centered on Adrian Peterson. So again, run-centric short pass offense.

In 2014, he played one great game and then 2 crap games with AP suspended before getting injured, but word has it he was a great involved mentor for Bridgewater the rest of the year.

So there you have it folks - if we plan to "ground and pound" while focusing our passing game on short stuff positioned to obtain YAC and the occasional deep bomb, we should have a competent QB to run that type of system. And if EJ or someone else should prove to be better, we have a good backup and mentor. If we plan to install a high-falutin' pass-first-to-run Gailey kind of offense, we'll suck big time.

The other thing I can say about Cassel is, absent 2009, he hangs on to the football - few fumbles. And he throws INTs in streaks. Games where he doesn't throw a pick or maybe one, are followed by games where he throws 4 (vs NE last year). Hopefully Lee and Roman have ideas about what's with that.

Overall, I'm happy. I think Moore may have a higher possible level of play but also higher risk since he hasn't actually started a game for years. Other than Moore and the already-signed McCown, I think he's better than the other FA out there provided you understand the system he's good at and work with it. Good ball security, has played on 2 playoff-caliber teams so should know what it takes, good mentor, seems to be durable.

Well said!

Went from convincing myself to be excited about McCoy for Kiko to seriously questioning being a bills fan. All due to the signing of Matt Cassel. The guy is garbage and I'd rather bring in a rookie.

Edited by SJDK

Went from convincing myself to be excited about McCoy for Kiko to seriously questioning being a bills fan. All due to the signing of Matt Cassel. The guy is garbage and I'd rather bring in a rookie.

If you feel that you have to agree with every move to be a fan of a team, I hear philly is light on support.... (Joking)....

The signing of Cassel- by no means says that they won't draft a QB.... The plan that our front office is putting into place cannot be accomplished all at once..... They also can't come right out and tell everyone their plan. Let's sit back and see what the finished product looks like after FA and the draft....

We just traded for a guy that was going to get cut. Smooth.

Even if he was going to get cut, it doesn't put him in a Bills uniform... If the brass felt like he was the guy they wanted- they get him.... This board has criticized out FO for inaction over and over....

We just traded for a guy that was going to get cut. Smooth.

We traded nothing to secure a guy who, if he were to be cut, would be free to choose anywhere he wanted to go. This skips a lot of potential headaches and competition from other suitors. Considering the dearth of quality QBs on the UFA market, securing a veteran backup was a must.

This was a good deal if you can look at the whole picture.