Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

Keep in mind that for Matt Cassel's career with atleast 9 starts when playing on a team with a Top 15 defense, Cassel's record is 24-15 with 58 TD's & 27 INT's.

Years with atleast 8 starts playing an a team ranked worse than 15th in defense he is 5-18 with 22 TD's and 28 INT's.

The best ranked defense Cassel played for was the Patriots in 2008, when he finished 10-5.

So the thought that Cassel can guide a Top 5 defense into the playoff's is real.

interesting stats. I like it!

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I get the optimism for a veteran QB, but I don't see Cassel being a starter and if he is, I don't see them going better than 10-6 with the Bills if he is named the starter. I say 10-6 because he has a fantastic supporting cast around him. I don't sincerely believe 10-6 is enough to make the playoffs when you have Tom Brady and the patriots in your division. 10-6 is also not enough to get the wild card either. Furthermore Cassel is not a clutch player and his 66% completion rating on play action passes is abysmal when you have a great back like Adrian Peterson in the backfield. When you are a run heavy team you need a QB that can do play action well. This is where EJ comes into play and we get to see how much he has improved. Although EJ did not know how to read defenses well and did not master the offense well, he is really good at play action and he is more mobile than Cassel. That being said Cassel can be a good game manager, and a strong positive influence in the locker room. He has the charisma and charm to deal with the media well and be a leader for his teammates. Ask any of his former teammates about him and they can't say enough good things about him. It all boils down to being a leader, and this alone in my opinion was a good reason to trade for him. Cassel can teach EJ how to lead a team, how to scold players when they don't run the right plays, and how to inspire your teammates to play better.

Edited by Vinaccia

You miss the point entirely. We win 10 games and drafting a quarterback is NOT the priority. In fact, there have been 50 quarterbacks drafted in the first round in the last 20 years. Of those 50, only 4 went to teams coming off of a season with 10+ wins. In every one of those situations, the existing quarterback was retiring, and all but one went to the HOF (Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and non-HOF Jake Plummer). The average wins for a team the year before drafting a QB in the first round is 5.1 and lower if you take out the 4 exceptions above. Your logic makes no sense in terms of how teams in the NFL are actually running their teams. In fact, ALL of them. If Matt Cassel is the starter this year and the Bills win 10 games, you should get rid of your expectation of a QB next year because it's simply not happening.

So a strong team that has an aging good-great QB that looks to retire in 2-3 years can draft a QB in the 1st after a 10+ win season.....but a strong team with a dodgy QB that wins 10+ games won't draft a QB in the 1st because it isn't a priority? That makes sense. :unsure:

That being said Cassel can be a good game manager, and a strong positive influence in the locker room. He has the charisma and charm to deal with the media well and be a leader for his teammates. Ask any of his former teammates about him and they can't say enough good things about him. It all boils down to being a leader, and this alone in my opinion was a good reason to trade for him. Cassel can teach EJ how to lead a team, how to scold players when they don't run the right plays, and how to inspire your teammates to play better.

This is what Orton did last year, and every teammate said the same things about him. It's time for EJ to show he's learned these things. The Bills didn't get Cassel to teach EJ anything; they got him to play if EJ doesn't step up, and to be a solid backup if he does.

This is what Orton did last year, and every teammate said the same things about him. It's time for EJ to show he's learned these things. The Bills didn't get Cassel to teach EJ anything; they got him to play if EJ doesn't step up, and to be a solid backup if he does.

I agree it's time for EJ to step up to the plate. Nobody really knows what to expect at this point from EJ. I am hoping it's his breakout year. If not the game manager Matt Cassel steps in.