Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

I expect no less then 10 wins

So 10 wins and you still think they'll draft their "QB of the future late in the first round next year" and not just continue to play Matt Cassel? LMAO. You just checked a box for me called "crazy".

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 10 wins and you still think they'll draft their "QB of the future late in the first round next year" and not just continue to play Matt Cassel? LMAO. You just checked a box for me called "crazy".

you have a 1st round pick you can wheel and deal to move up a bit......

And your Offensive game plan is centered around running the ball...taking a lot of pressure off the QB......

you have a 1st round pick you can wheel and deal to move up a bit......

And your Offensive game plan is centered around running the ball...taking a lot of pressure off the QB......

You miss the point entirely. We win 10 games and drafting a quarterback is NOT the priority. In fact, there have been 50 quarterbacks drafted in the first round in the last 20 years. Of those 50, only 4 went to teams coming off of a season with 10+ wins. In every one of those situations, the existing quarterback was retiring, and all but one went to the HOF (Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and non-HOF Jake Plummer). The average wins for a team the year before drafting a QB in the first round is 5.1 and lower if you take out the 4 exceptions above. Your logic makes no sense in terms of how teams in the NFL are actually running their teams. In fact, ALL of them. If Matt Cassel is the starter this year and the Bills win 10 games, you should get rid of your expectation of a QB next year because it's simply not happening.

I expect no less then 10 wins

The 32 year old Matt Cassel had multiple fractures in his foot. IMO there is almost 0 chance Cassel would start every game and last the whole season.

I think Cassel will settle into in the backup/mentor role to Manuel. There simply won't be enough of a gap in play between him and Manuel to justify Cassel starting. If Cassel does happen to win the starting job it will probably only be for 3-6 games tops before he gets hurt again. Then it will be up to Manuel to make the most of what would be his final opportunity with the Bills.

Edited by 1billsfan

You miss the point entirely. We win 10 games and drafting a quarterback is NOT the priority. In fact, there have been 50 quarterbacks drafted in the first round in the last 20 years. Of those 50, only 4 went to teams coming off of a season with 10+ wins. In every one of those situations, the existing quarterback was retiring, and all but one went to the HOF (Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and non-HOF Jake Plummer). The average wins for a team the year before drafting a QB in the first round is 5.1 and lower if you take out the 4 exceptions above. Your logic makes no sense in terms of how teams in the NFL are actually running their teams. In fact, ALL of them. If Matt Cassel is the starter this year and the Bills win 10 games, you should get rid of your expectation of a QB next year because it's simply not happening.

I dont think I have missed the point at all

The ideal situation of drafting a QB is taking one high and then being able to groom him without starting him.

If Cassel works out then he starts this year and next......bridging the gap to a young QB

The 32 year old Matt Cassel had multiple fractures in his foot. IMO there is almost 0 chance Cassel would start every game and last the whole season.

I think Cassel will settle into in the backup/mentor role to Manuel. There simply won't be enough of a gap in play between him and Manuel to justify Cassel starting. If Cassel does happen to win the starting job it will probably only be for 3-6 games tops before he gets hurt again. Then it will be up to Manuel to make the most of what would be his final opportunity with the Bills.

If EJ Manuel looks this training camp like he looked last training camp....he might not only not start but he might be on his way out.

I dont think I have missed the point at all

The ideal situation of drafting a QB is taking one high and then being able to groom him without starting him.

If Cassel works out then he starts this year and next......bridging the gap to a young QB

If EJ Manuel looks this training camp like he looked last training camp....he might not only not start but he might be on his way out.

Your "ideal situation" hasn't played out for one team in 20 years, because it's unrealistic. 50 first round draft picks and it hasn't happened. Teams that win are not prioritizing drafting a quarterback early unless their winning quarterback up and retires. You are trying to ignore reality, which quite frankly makes you sound unintelligent.

Your "ideal situation" hasn't played out for one team in 20 years, because it's unrealistic.

Aaron Rodgers is the only one I can think of in the last 20 years. Big Ben didn't start right away, but he did later in his rookie year. Not sure if Jay Cuttler started as a rookie, but he did not start out of the chute.

Aaron Rodgers is the only one I can think of in the last 20 years. Big Ben didn't start right away, but he did later in his rookie year. Not sure if Jay Cuttler started as a rookie, but he did not start out of the chute.

shhhhh luxy is on a role......the rest of us are unrealistic

I mean....there are so many situations of legit franchise QBs to draw a comparison from

The bills have openly admitted they do NOT have the franchise QB which is why they can spend money in other areas on the team. They will continue their search while a caretaker is running the team

- Teams dont trade their franchise qbs

- They dont walk in off the street

- You only get them by drafting them

shhhhh luxy is on a role......the rest of us are unrealistic

I mean....there are so many situations of legit franchise QBs to draw a comparison from

The bills have openly admitted they do NOT have the franchise QB which is why they can spend money in other areas on the team. They will continue their search while a caretaker is running the team

- Teams dont trade their franchise qbs

- They dont walk in off the street

and now ....

We finally have the truest definition of what Franchise QB means.

This is very well said. and should be considered as a future reference

and a post, That Is what Bills said about position and their perspective on this years FA opportunities

Am I reading this correct or am I missing something?

Drafted by whom? the list is a bit odd ... WRT a team drafting it's own Franchise QB, vs Teams trading for or acquiring a Franchise QB.

Drew Brees was drafted by the Chargers - was he a Franchise QB at that time? The same for Favre drafted by Atlanta, Hasselbeck drafted by the Packers,

Hell When was Romo actually called a Franchise QB? A franchise choker was more like it until this last season (maybe 2)

Kurt Warner?.... wasn't he stocking groceries somewhere? Warner was originally signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 1994. STL picked him up in 1998

Manning was getting old and was replaced by a new Franchise QB Luck, as was Favre to Rodgers.

I wouldn't say tat some of the others were Franchise QB's when they were traded. or are yet to be considered a Franchise QB.

- teams dont trade their franchise qbs

Drew Brees
Kurt Warner
Brett Favre
Matt Hasselbeck
Craig Morton
Alex Smith
Carson Palmer
Tony Romo
Peyton Manning

:huh: :huh:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

@TheBillsMafia: Nate Geary at @pfspot tells you why you shouldn't sleep on Matt Cassel. http://t.co/UtLgsFE7pg#BillsMafia #FAMbase

I have zero issue, NONE, with Cassel being the starting QB if Roman and Rex believes he's earned it come September. But honestly, EJ might fit Roman's style of QB a little better and with some encouragement to use his legs (but get out of bounds or slide) EJ may very well resurrect what once was a very promising career. Coaching makes a huge difference (duh!) and having a guy like Rex to get him to relax and Roman to mentor him and bring him along, might very well be the cure.

Keep in mind that for Matt Cassel's career with atleast 9 starts when playing on a team with a Top 15 defense, Cassel's record is 24-15 with 58 TD's & 27 INT's.

Years with atleast 8 starts playing an a team ranked worse than 15th in defense he is 5-18 with 22 TD's and 28 INT's.

The best ranked defense Cassel played for was the Patriots in 2008, when he finished 10-5.

So the thought that Cassel can guide a Top 5 defense into the playoff's is real.