Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

Too early to say season over, fire Rex?

This is INSANE. Trading ANY picks for Cassell. This may be the worst move I've ever seen. Trading picks away for garbage at a Raiders / Redskins pace.

Yeah because "The Bills" way has worked so much better.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the CBS take is sober:

"But we've seen him [Cassell] succeed in a similar situation and given the incredibly weak options out there, this was the best possible realistic move the Bills could make to set themselves up to win now without compromising the future."

A good way to view it.

Lmo

I just think the upside of a Manuel or Locker is so much higher than Cassel. Cassel is what he is. If he reaches his max, we may be able to sneak into the playoffs. That's pretty much it. It's Orton Part 2.

Orton part 2 is okay. Two situations: EJ beats him, and Cassel is a solid backup who we can resign. Other situation: Cassel wins out, EJ has another vet to learn from. We resign Cassel and see if EJ beats him the next season and bring in another QB next season. Or, Doug is waiting until the 10th when we sign Locker or Moore to add to the competition.

Hey, good to see you again, Dean. Looks like it only took a couple of jaw-dropping trades to bring you back!

No kidding. Been preoccupied with a few family issues, and work, lately.

I understand why the McCoy trade is controversial and can see why some might like it (though I still do not). But I'm not sure how anyone can be totally pissed at the Cassel move, given the cost. At a minimum, Matt is a major upgrade over Tuel. That alone makes it worth the price, IMO.

No kidding. Been preoccupied with a few family issues, and work, lately.

I understand why the McCoy trade is controversial and can see why some might like it (though I still do not). But I'm not sure how anyone can be totally pissed at the Cassel move, given the cost. At a minimum, Matt is a major upgrade over Tuel. That alone makes it worth the price, IMO.

Is your dislike of the McCoy trade because you really liked Kiko? Or is it something else?

I just think the upside of a Manuel or Locker is so much higher than Cassel. Cassel is what he is. If he reaches his max, we may be able to sneak into the playoffs. That's pretty much it. It's Orton Part 2.

Except with cement-free shoes and a HC/OC that many here feel much more comfortable with and a top 3 RB and forthcoming improvements to the interior line.

Right, which is why the 5th for Cassell in exchange for a 6th is nothing. :beer:

I agree with you except the last line. When you're a crappy team you expect that. When you are a good team you may get one starter and 2-3 contributors. We have a good roster. Even our second round pick may not be a starter, unless we, say, don't get a TE in FA and use our #2 on one, and he still may not beat out Chandler for the starting position.

I agree with that take on our 2nd. That's kind of why I'm leaning with them taking whatever QB they have ranked highest at that point.

I'm on the edge of my seat going into this FA period. I could see us coming out hot and making a play for the Revis/Iupati's of the world. At the same time, we don't really have glaring holes outside of QB and I could see a more measured approach, basically waiting for the draft/post June 1st cuts to use our cap space in hopes of landing some compensatory picks.

Incognito and Shady have basically put every option into play.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

That's hilarious.

We swap a 5 for a 6 and give up an additional 7 in a different year for Cassel.

That is the hard way of saying Matt Cassel is worth NOTHING.

By your reasoning it is impossible for you to be disappointed in this trade. :thumbsup: Good for you.

I agree with that take on our 2nd. That's kind of why I'm leaning with them taking whatever QB they have ranked highest at that point.

I'm on the edge of my seat going into this FA period. I could see us coming out hot and making a play for the Revis/Iupati's of the world. At the same time, we don't really have glaring holes outside of QB and I could see a more measured approach, basically waiting for the draft/post June 1st cuts to use our cap space in hopes of landing some compensatory picks.

Incognito and Shady have basically put every option into play.

Yep. It will be interesting. I think we re-sign Hughes, sign Blalock (or reasonable facsimile) and a decent TE in FA. I don't think we draft a QB in the second round but possibly third. Those guys are monumental longshots, longer than EJ at this point.

Is your dislike of the McCoy trade because you really liked Kiko? Or is it something else?

I love McCoy. But trading a young, stud LB with a seemingly very bright future/upside for a a running back (a great back to be sure) on the downside of his career isn't something I tend to be in favor or--in general that is. So that's why my knee-jerk reaction isn't favorable. By downside, I mean he is near the end of his prime---maybe past it. Still very good, but with a huge contract. Kiko is just getting started, and it seems we are throwing away value here.
I know the Bills had trouble with the run game but RB wasn't the biggest reason for that. Sure it's an issue moving forward but there are guys in FA and in the draft. Hell even UFA RB's strike gold on occasion. I feel it's easier to find running backs than quality all-down LBs.
But I think Rex had to sign off on this (I don't think they are making major FA/trade moves without his buy-in). Maybe Rex doesn't see Kiko playing a major role in his D for some reason---or that he can get similar results with other guys in that role. Rex has been known to think he can make steak out of meatloaf on D.
It would be easier for me to swallow if I respected Rex's decision making--which I still don't. I hope I'm wrong.
Edited by The Dean

I love McCoy. But trading a young, stud LB with a seemingly very bright future/upside for a a running back (a great back to be sure) on the downside of his career isn't something I tend to be in favor or--in general that is. So that's why my knee-jerk reaction isn't favorable. By downside, I mean he is near the end of his prime---maybe past it. Still very good, but with a huge contract. Kiko is just getting started, and it seems we are throwing away value here.
I know the Bills had trouble with the run game but RB wasn't the biggest reason for that. Sure it's an issue moving forward but there are guys in FA and in the draft. Hell even UFA RB's strike gold on occasion. I feel it's easier to find running backs than quality all-down LBs.
But I think Rex had to sign off on this (I don't think they are making major FA/trade moves without his buy-in). Maybe Rex doesn't see Kiko playing a major role in his D for some reason---or that he can get similar results with other guys in that role. Rex has been known to think he can make steak out of meatloaf on D.
It would be easier for me to swallow if I respected Rex's decision making--which I still don't. I hope I'm wrong.

Not sure why the font came out so large there. Sorry.

Edited by The Dean

I hear you. Thanks for the answer. The only things I can say to try to sway you a bit more towards the comfortable side of this trade is the Shady cap numbers are a mirage at this point. He'll renegotiate before he's a Bill and it'll leave the Bills in great cap shape. As for Kiko, you're right he could have a long and great career. I think the Bills like Bradham and Brown more, and know they can only keep two of them past their rookie deals leaving Alonso as the odd man out. Throw in the reports the Bills were worried about Alonso's long term health issues with his knee, and it seems (to me at least) it was a chance to get something for Kiko before he bolted.

:beer:

Why give up draft picks when he is no better than FAs out there? We could use those picks to get linemen to develop. I am not liking this move much. Hopefully, the picks are below round 4.

Apparently the Bills disagree and think he is better than the other FA out there.

Basically we're swapping a 5th for a 6th and giving up a next year's 7th big whoop

But we don't have a 4th, given the picks position it's essentially the equivalent of our 4th round pick.

It doesn't matter that the Bills don't have a 4th round pick, because that's not what the Bills are paying. If Vikes thought that Cassell was worth the equivalent of Bills 2015 4th round pick, they would have insisted on Tampa's 5th + Bills' 6th in the 2015 draft. But that's not what the compensation is.