Would The Franchise Or Transition Tag Be Smart With CJ ?

T master

Cj is going to be a FA in just a few days & every one on most Bills sites have been saying that they think CJ is all but gone . I for one think he is as good as a Jamal Charles , IF USED CORRECTLY !!

So do any other Bills fans think it would be good to use either the Franchise or Transition tag on him this year ?

If they were to use the transition tag at lest the Bills would be able to have a chance to match the offer of the team that is negotiating with him correct ?

I think Greg Roman will know how to use him because having a truly reputable O line coach like we had when Joe D. was the O line coach & Spiller had his best year . Marrone the " Oline Guru" that he was & the guy he brought in did nothing for the team in 2 years of trying . The O line play regressed A LOT !!

I think if we can keep CJ we should , but do you think the projected tag prices are to much to pay for CJ if he can have the production he had under the new coaching staff as he had in 2012 ?

Here are the 2015 projections .

http://nfltraderumors.co/projected-2015-franchise-tag-figures/

the cap number for rb is out of control since AP has a cap # of $13 million. He'd probably actually want to be franchised

The TAG for a RB is approx. $9 million. We could probably have him for 3 years at $15 to $20. That is too much to take a CHANCE on him when there are so many RBs in FA and in the draft. If the new staff likes him maybe he is worth the 3 year contract. BUT, if the new staff likes him and we let him go to FA IMO it will drive his price down as there are about ten quality RBs hitting FA. I also doubt our new staff thinks CJ is the best of the ten or he probably would have been signed already. Edited by Manther

Top 5 what? He doesn't have much left in the tank.

back in the league. The last many years he has been an overall top 5 back. Blocking, running, catching and doing all things extremely well. For a stint of 3 to 5 years a while back he was easily one of the best backs in the league for a while.

back in the league. The last many years he has been an overall top 5 back. Blocking, running, catching and doing all things extremely well. For a stint of 3 to 5 years a while back he was easily one of the best backs in the league for a while.

While I am a big fan of Fred Jackson, I cannot honestly say he's a top 5 backs in the league. You're right that he's a great all around back. He's been pretty damn good a picking up blitzers and picking up tough yards...but guys like Charles, Forte, Peterson, McCoy, Foster, Lynch, Gore, Murray, and Bell are a notch above FJ.

CJ is a track athlete. He is not a running back. He can not run in traffic. He doesn't break tackles and lacks the vision to see the holes. He is fast but not quick. He has no straight line power and can't block anyone.

He is a one trick pony that gets winded. The ship sailed on CJ last year when they tried to get Hyde.

Fred is done too. They will draft a RB in the top four rounds - maybe three since TE pool is awful.

hell no on the tagging cj.

Spiller continued, "we’re going to weigh all of our options and see what best suits me. The biggest thing is, you want to go somewhere where you’re wanted. That’s the biggest thing. That’s pretty much how I’m approaching this thing, and I’m looking forward to it."

wanted = MOST MONEY

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/2/24/8103807/cj-spiller-free-agent-2015-nfl-buffalo-bills-doug-whaley

Cj is going to be a FA in just a few days & every one on most Bills sites have been saying that they think CJ is all but gone . I for one think he is as good as a Jamal Charles , IF USED CORRECTLY !!

So do any other Bills fans think it would be good to use either the Franchise or Transition tag on him this year ?

If they were to use the transition tag at lest the Bills would be able to have a chance to match the offer of the team that is negotiating with him correct ?

I think Greg Roman will know how to use him because having a truly reputable O line coach like we had when Joe D. was the O line coach & Spiller had his best year . Marrone the " Oline Guru" that he was & the guy he brought in did nothing for the team in 2 years of trying . The O line play regressed A LOT !!

I think if we can keep CJ we should , but do you think the projected tag prices are to much to pay for CJ if he can have the production he had under the new coaching staff as he had in 2012 ?

Here are the 2015 projections .

http://nfltraderumors.co/projected-2015-franchise-tag-figures/

Neither...he can go

$9M TT for RBs. That's all you need to know. I like CJ better than most here and I think he'll do better in a system that utilizes his talents better. (I'd be calling his agent if I was Philly.) Not a system fit and $9M for one year equals NFW. Good luck wherever you land, CJ.

I say we

- keep Fred (forever, like the pope, Fred is a Bill until he dies or asks to go live at a nunnery)

- put Bryce on some sort of strict anti-fumble diet..

- get a truck for Roman to drive through holes.

- respectfully let CJ go to the Jets and I for one will be equally happy if he succeeds or fails.

- Also, lets get Mike Williams back! Marrone clearly benched that dude out of spite. Marrone is a spiteful little witch. Mike would play TE if we asked politely.

If this were 2005 when RBs were the ultimate premium in the NFL with guys like Priest Holmes and Shaun Alexander lighting up both reality and fantasy leagues, I might say maybe.

But in today's league where the value of RBs has plummeted, and in a year where RB is the strongest and deepest position in the draft... I say "Good luck, CJ"

I would love to have CJ back on the team. Unlike the haters, I think that he can be a great back if used properly and he actually has a hole.

Having said that, it does not make sense to tag him for cap reasons. My view is the Bills should bring him back if the Bills and CJ can come up with a contract that both sides are comfortable with both financially and in terms of length.

CJ as good as Jamal Charles? LOL!

I'd rather sign Mark Ingram. CJ can't even be trusted to be on the field on 3rd down for peter's sake.

Agree

Agree

Charles sees the holes & hits them. One of the top backs in the league. CJ has straight ahead speed. Period. IMHO he is way over rated due to his one good year.

Ingram is the type of back that I see Bflo going after.

It ain't gonna happen, pure and simple.

Wish he were as good as charles. Seems not to have the vision though. That's the beauty of charles, you don't have to "figure out" how to use him, you just hand him the ball.

I really am curious what sort of dollars cj can pull..

Little vision, few instincts. He won't be franchised and shouldn't be.

I'll ask again- if Peterson is cut soon isn't his 13m salary replaced with the #6 guy which is jamaal Charles at under 5? That 8m gap would mean a drop of like 1.5m from the current.

Still nonsensical for cj, but I'm curious on the process, as I thought the final calculation was done around draft time

While I am a big fan of Fred Jackson, I cannot honestly say he's a top 5 backs in the league. You're right that he's a great all around back. He's been pretty damn good a picking up blitzers and picking up tough yards...but guys like Charles, Forte, Peterson, McCoy, Foster, Lynch, Gore, Murray, and Bell are a notch above FJ.

That's probably true now, but Fred 4 years ago could hang with most of those guys.

I have no interest in a guy who can't pass block to save his life.

I'm completely fine with keeping Fred, Bryce, and Boobie, and drafting someone in the mid-rounds, since the class is deep in talent.

CJ isn't even close to Charles. CJ has as much talent as Jamaal and in his prime Chris Johnson but lacks the overall toughness in his running. Those two small backs do what's necessary inside to take advantage of what they do at the second level. CJ gets hurt when contact is made, when he contacts the ground, and even when he doesn't make contact with anything. I think what I hope CJ could be and what he is are two totally different things.

The greatest differentiating factors between RBs are success as pass protectors and their vision between the tackles. Nobody just outruns the good defenses anymore to win games. RBs can all run in a straight line. Their degree of success in helping the rest of the offense when they are not handed the ball means a lot. CJ is a liability in far too many ways, including the ability to stay healthy. At best, he is a 15 carry, spread offense, draw play/ bubble screen out of the slot player. If Sammy was used like that, I think he would outperform Spiller. Spiller should go part-time it elsewhere in my opinion.

I would love to have CJ back on the team. Unlike the haters, I think that he can be a great back if used properly and he actually has a hole.

Having said that, it does not make sense to tag him for cap reasons. My view is the Bills should bring him back if the Bills and CJ can come up with a contract that both sides are comfortable with both financially and in terms of length.

CJ haters? Put the crack pipe down.

There is NO way CJ has earned a TAG of any kind. An extension of 1 or 2 years at $2 mil sure, but nothing more