Rex wasn't Kim's first choice..

Mr. WEO

Meh. You're playing games. It's a lazy headline.

I'm pretty sure editors typically write the headline, not the writer, with clicks and eyeballs in mind, so "Rex Wasnt Kim's #1 Choice" is much juicier than "Pegulas Had Open Mind."

Non-storiest non-story that ever non-storied.

I think it's a misleading article title, and don't see the problem with Kim saying Rex wasn't immediately their number one target.

How much do we expect owners to know about head coaching candidates before they've spoken with them? It was Whaley's job to organize the search, and the end result was a partnership everyone seems happy about.

Exactly. The article title is very misleading and intended to be sensational but the is no meat behind it. Click bate. I heard the interview and she said they had no favorite going in at all. She did say they were surprised at how impressed they were with Ryan and he then became their favorite as evidenced that he was the first and only second interview. Nothing to see here.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. merge if so.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461412/article/bills-kim-pegula-rex-ryan-was-not-our-first-choice

"he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him,'"

Chumming the waters. Too funny. People are mad at you for what they thought you were implying, when they are actually responding to the idea of you first, then superimposing that over why you posted the article. I guess it really is all in the head.

She was clear they were of an open mind, had no favourite, and Rex impressed them more than they were expecting. I suspect what they mean underneath that is that whilst there was no favourite they were thinking "offensive coach". When Rex got in front of them they started to think him with this defense could be special.

Chumming the waters. Too funny. People are mad at you for what they thought you were implying, when they are actually responding to the idea of you first, then superimposing that over why you posted the article. I guess it really is all in the head.

That may be the "reality". But funny, yes. We now have a litany of what Kim Pegula "meant" as interpretted by the orthodoxy here.

Like how they also threw in that she's a poor interviewer and may not be that bright/informed/savvy.

I guess they showed me...and her.

"While we're not suggesting the Pegula's made a mistake -- Ryan's energy alone will re-energize a fan base that needs an identity beyond C.J. Spiller -- it's not surprising he won them over quickly and toppled the list of candidates."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461412/article/bills-kim-pegula-rex-ryan-was-not-our-first-choice

...I was going to go with out D-Line, but yeah... ok... I guess Spiller works too...

I thought the headline was misleading. She just said that he wasn't someone they were immediately thinking would be the guy but that he interviewed really well and shot to the top of the list.

Just like a job interview should work, but hey, this is TBD where molehills are mountains and doooooom is around every corner!

That may be the "reality". But funny, yes. We now have a litany of what Kim Pegula "meant" as interpretted by the orthodoxy here.

Like how they also threw in that she's a poor interviewer and may not be that bright/informed/savvy.

The good news is Kim is in a position to not give a crap what they think.

And if they push that agenda too far they could find themselves in trouble. Kim is in some pretty unique (not the only one but u get my drift) of being a powerful female in the NFL ownership world.

There will be people out there not liking it to much if they go after her.

Not on you Mr Weo, but if the writer had listened to the interview he refers to, what she said was pretty clear.

Amen...

And might I add that I could truly care less about whether or not Kim is a good interview...

In fact I could not possibly care less...

Just me...And just saying... B-)

As others have said, the title is misleading. I listened to the interview. What I got from it was that, while Rex was not at the top of the list going in (and it is unclear whether anyone was given that they went into the process with an open mind), Rex really impressed them and was the first one to be invited back for a second interview.

In fact, he impressed them so much, he was hired and, by definition, was the first choice. As far as I know, Rex was the only person who was offered the job (or, for that matter, brought in for a second interview).

As an aside, I think that Kim speaks well in public and on behalf of the Bills, Sabres, and community. Unless you are expecting someone to be Ronald Reagan, JFK, or even Tony Robbins, I am not sure what you want.

Edited by Peter

As an aside, I think that Kim speaks well in public and on behalf of the Bills, Sabres, and community. Unless you are expecting someone to be Ronald Reagan, JFK, or even Tony Robbins, I am not sure what you want.

I don't understand that criticism either. I listened to her on WGR a few weeks ago and she sounded intelligent and personable.

And if they push that agenda too far they could find themselves in trouble. Kim is in some pretty unique (not the only one but u get my drift) of being a powerful female in the NFL ownership world.

There will be people out there not liking it to much if they go after her.

lol-- I was referring to the posters here!

This thread is dumb. I'm glad the Bills have Rex Ryan as their coach, and I can't wait for the 2015 season to start.

Well there ya go...

I don't understand that criticism either. I listened to her on WGR a few weeks ago and she sounded intelligent and personable.

Yeah...agreed. I think we are at a point where people feel compelled to take a "controversial" stand on pretty much everything...its' gonna be a long off-season.

God why is this a thread. I listened to the entire interview a couple days ago and all she said was I didn't have an opinion of him prior to interviewing him. She's not a fan, she's an owner and a business woman. Having never spoken with him personally prior to interviewing him, I am sure she didn't have an opinion of him. People have such a warped view of everything these days. You are getting a glimpse into a billion dollar corporation and making highly irrational assumptions based on somewhat candid interview and a click bait headline.

I have been criticizing her from that interview about the way she was speaking but it had nothing to do with intelligence. I think people were talking about her football intelligence. That's a completely different thing.

She sounded like she had no idea who Rex Ryan was, like the kind of personality he is. If you follow football at all you know that. John Murphy asked her if it was true that she grew up a Bills fan in Fairport outside Rochester. Her answer was, "I don't remember." She didn't remember if she watched games or followed the team as a kid. The first thing she remembered was her dad liking Doug Flutie.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Maybe having "no opinion" on him prior to the interview, is a good thing?

that's not my point. if you have no opinion on rex ryan, then you must have close to no interest in football. the guy is one of the most notable and publicized figures in the game. as i said earlier, it's like saying you have no opinion on harbaugh or belichick.

i'm going to assume that she just didn't want to admit that she thought rex was a jerk prior to meeting him. that's easier to digest then the notion that the co-owner of the team knows nothing about the game.

The article's headline and slant is VERY misleading. Kim was crystal clear in her radio interview that going into the process, in the PREDECISIONAL phase, Rex wasn't seen as a front runner. She made the point clearly that NOBODY was. How does this get spun as Rex not being a first "choice"? You don't make a "choice" before you start the interview process!

Hey, I guess it triggers more clicks than the headline "Pegulas Open-minded Going Into Selection Process".

... So yes, Ryan probably wasn't their first choice. But it doesn't mean he wasn't their top choice.

Greatly appreciate this distinction.

While KP may be naive about football related subjects, she is no stranger to the interview process. There are things to be gleaned from an HC candidate's answers about things that aren't football related. And hours of interviews, including an overnight stay at their house, provide ample opportunity to discuss many such issues. They can often be more important and just as relevant than the personnel, assistants, and the X and O aspects of the interviews.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. merge if so.

"he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him,'"

A footrub changes everything when you're really wound up......

NFL.com changed their article's title from:

"Kim Pegula: Rex was not the Bills' First Choice"

to

"Kim Pegula: Rex Leapfrogged Bills' No. 1 Choice"

Yup they did that, but clicking through to the article and the title is still the misleading one.