Rex wasn't Kim's first choice..

Mr. WEO

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a misleading article title, and don't see the problem with Kim saying Rex wasn't immediately their number one target.

How much do we expect owners to know about head coaching candidates before they've spoken with them? It was Whaley's job to organize the search, and the end result was a partnership everyone seems happy about.

I think it's a misleading article title, and don't see the problem with Kim saying Rex wasn't immediately their number one target.

How much do we expect owners to know about head coaching candidates before they've spoken with them? It was Whaley's job to organize the search, and the end result was a partnership everyone seems happy about.

The title is pretty straightforward and is factual, not at all misleading. He was not their first choice. She did not reveal who was in the interview.

I thought she was great.

Connor Orr is attempting here, it seems, to create some controversy...a true case of somebody taking a comment out of context. KP's point was, when they set up an interview with Ryan, it was merely to interview him, with the sense that they weren't likely to give him serious consideration... they met him, talked to him, and were blown away enough to shoot him to the top of their list. Why does everybody have to make a controversy out of every !@#$ing thing?

I listened to Kim's interview with John Murphy the other night, she should probably avoid doing many interviews.

Agreed. I have always thought she doesnt join Terry on the stage and press conferences because she is simply not comfortable doing it. That was not a great interview, and I like her a lot. She will add certain things that will help the Pegulas as a team, but she knows nothing of football.

I listened to Kim's interview with John Murphy the other night, she should probably avoid doing many interviews.

I agree. She didn't come across as very informed. Sounds like a very nice lady, though.

I expect the football knowledge will develop with time.

(I wonder how much any of the owners actually know when they first buy teams?).

The title is pretty straightforward and is factual, not at all misleading. He was not their first choice. She did not reveal who was in the interview.

To someone not familiar with the process it could easily be interpreted from the headline that the Bills were turned down by their first choice. Lots of folks just scan headlines and don't read the articles; that's all I meant.

of course it's misleading. It intimates, as do you, that there was a number one choice who didn't get the job. She specifically states that they went into the search with an open mind and no clear cut favorite. Much ado about nothing and lazy "journalism"

To someone not familiar with the process it could easily be interpreted from the headline that the Bills were turned down by their first choice. Lots of folks just scan headlines and don't read the articles; that's all I meant.

Actually, the headline reads simply that they had someone else in mind as there top choice. It does not in any way even imply they were turned down by that other person.

That's misleading, too. What she said and meant was, they didn't have any choice. They didn't know if he was a serious chance for them or not. And they wanted to talk to anyone who was a legitimate candidate. You're making it sound like they wanted someone more than him and then settled for him. And that was not at all the case.

In that interview, to me, she did not come off well. She sounded like she knew nothing about him, nothing about his reputation. She doesnt know a lot about football, that is for sure, and is not going to be anywhere near that kind of decision.

That's misleading, too. What she said and meant was, they didn't have any choice. They didn't know if he was a serious chance for them or not. And they wanted to talk to anyone who was a legitimate candidate. You're making it sound like they wanted someone more than him and then settled for him. And that was not at all the case.

In that interview, to me, she did not come off well. She sounded like she knew nothing about him, nothing about his reputation. She doesnt know a lot about football, that is for sure, and is not going to be anywhere near that kind of decision.

They had no choice?

I agree. She didn't come across as very informed. Sounds like a very nice lady, though.

yup. she lost me at the part where she said she had no opinion of rex prior to meeting him. anyone with any interest in football would have formed some opinion of rex by now. dude is hardly some shrinking violet, no-name coordinator. it's like saying you have no opinion on belichick or harbaugh.

The title is certainly misleading. But she did specifically say it. Although I don't believe that is what she meant. I don't think she meant to say "We were planning on hiring another candidate, but Rex blew us away". What she meant was "We did not have a targeted #1 candidate. We were open-minded throughout the process and wanted to find the best fit". Terry actually made this point when he was talking about Doug Whaley telling him something to the effect of "when you meet the right candidate, you will know it". Rex was it.

That's the sense I got and agree that the title is totally misleading. Reading that, and the story about Hue Jackson coming away from a Bills interview thinking he had the job in the bag, indicates that Bills were probably high on Jackson prior to meeting Ryan.

They, along with the rest of the world thought that Ryan was interviewing with Bills as a back up option to his likely landing spot in Atlanta. And, with pressure off both sides, that first interview was a home run for Bills & Ryan and they both realized that it would be a great fit.

So yes, Ryan probably wasn't their first choice. But it doesn't mean he wasn't their top choice.

Actually, the headline reads simply that they had someone else in mind as there top choice. It does not in any way even imply they were turned down by that other person.

Meh. You're playing games. It's a lazy headline.